Miscellaneous Rumbles

Can music save people or the world?

Don McLean asks in American Pie, "Can music save your mortal soul?"

Can it, in a secular or religious sense? Can music change people or the world?

In High Fidelity, Rob asks, "“What came first – the music or the misery? Did I listen to the music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to the music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person?”

Can it change things in a negative way as well as a positive one?

Who is this Phil O'Sophy guy and why does he hate us?

Aside from my sarcasm, I seriously doubt that music can save the world. Too many differences between cultures. On an individual basis, maybe the right song at the right time could work wonders. Or, the wrong song to the wrong person could be devastating----Charles Manson and his fixation with Helter Skelter didn't work out too good.

Music is art, and art makes you feel good, bad, happy, sad, and all points in between.

Can it change the world?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, yes, through inspiration, though. Music can inspire change, can ignite ideas, fan or extinguish movements, and give hope where there is none. It can remove hope, too, leave you sad, make you fall in love, remind you of the past, and show you the future.

Long answer, yes, through inspiration, though. Music can inspire change, can ignite ideas, fan or extinguish movements, and give hope where there is none. It can remove hope, too, leave you sad, make you fall in love, remind you of the past, and show you the future. - crowbone<

I'm in complete agreement with this argument, on a per-person level.

As for the world, at this point I fear that nothing can save it...

Heard a great one tonight. "Take your broken heart, turn it into art."

– Deed Eddy

Amen.

Also : the way things are going, there are precious little "music people" going to be left soon who are not just doing it as a hobby. There will be a very select "music business" club, and a much bigger "people playing/writing/performing/producing/recording/etc.. practically for free" group.

Amen.

Also : the way things are going, there are precious little "music people" going to be left soon who are not just doing it as a hobby. There will be a very select "music business" club, and a much bigger "people playing/writing/performing/producing/recording/etc.. practically for free" group.

– WB

I'm in the latter group. Nobody wants to pay for music nowadays, do they?

Can music save people or the world?

Of course not, but that shouldn't keep us from trying.

In response to the OP, music saved me. Some of my friends didn't make it through the 60s & 70s. I had music; it grounded me, gave me a purpose in life, taught me how to interact with other people, paid the bills, gave me a sense of community, taught discipline.........It does all of this for young people still and it is a tragedy that it has been removed from so many schools, especially in inner city districts.

I think in simpler times, when we were merely on the cusp of the bludgeoning technology boom....it may have been possible for music to "save the world". But, that moment, if it ever really did exist, passed quickly by. Now, with the "world" virtually at our fingertips, it all passes by so quickly that there is hardly time to even digest the moment....much less invoke any change. At one point in time it seemed that "All You Need(ed) Is(was) Love"....but now in our world of lies="truth" and fiction="fact"....it seems any behavior...no matter how despicable, is acceptable. I'm not sure that there is anything, much less "music" that can save the world now.

I only hope there is still something left to hear in the next four years.

The darkest forces at work at the moment in this world forbid music wherever they rule... so there must be something!

i doubt that music can save the world, but "Superunknown" by Soundgarden saved my life after my second divorce...i'd be out at the bus stop at 6:30 AM howling along with their pent-up rage and frightening the other commuters, and it reinforced me somehow.

It has certainly helped me thru some tough times. Music and playing the guitar has been that "buddy" who you can rely on when the going is a little tough. The guitar playing is really great for me because it takes me to another place where all I'm thinking about is my playing.

Golf does the same thing but it actually almost got me killed twice: 1) got to close to an alligator when looking for a ball a the edge of a pond. Yes I ran like hell in a zig-zag way and; 2) Another bad shot a few years ago led me into the woods and between a mama Black Bear and 2 of her cubs. That's close to a helpless feeling as I've ever been. Had it been a Grizzly, I never would've had a chance.

– Deed Eddy

Much better than

Take ... these broken wings / And learn to fly again / And learn to live so free / And when we hear ... the voices sing / The book of love will open up / And let us in

Don McLean asks in American Pie, "Can music save your mortal soul?"

Can it, in a secular or religious sense? Can music change people or the world?

In High Fidelity, Rob asks, "“What came first – the music or the misery? Did I listen to the music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to the music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person?”

Can it change things in a negative way as well as a positive one?

– drmilktruck

I think music's power to save, if I may borrow the term is only in so far as it creates community. Music is meant to be shared. And by sharing something so deeply and uniquely human, we humanize each other.

Alice Parker has had some very brilliant insights into the power of singing to unite people on many levels besides just being there physically to sing. She says it is the most companionable of arts.

Considering that a whole segment of the population of the world considers music to be unacceptable....

Aren't that many that can be still long enough to listen...

But, those who can't be still feel the drumming in their head and heart beat.

If we could only make it the correct tune for the moment!

I'm more interested in if it can kill people and how to make it look like accident

Register Sign in to join the conversation