Miscellaneous Rumbles

British Columbia, after pot is legalized later this year.

I can't wait for Rush to put out that Reggae album!

– crowbone

Maybe they'll redo the song "A Passage to Bangkok" as "A Passage to Vancouver".

– crowbone

I, on the other hand, will be thrilled to await that effort indefinitely.

I have a friend that lives up in Northern California on the Oregon Border, been there about 40 yrs. He absolutely hates the pot industry, legal or otherwise. He said that he is moving away due to the diminishing quality of life. Both legal and illegal growers are causing environmental issues, mostly the illegal. Robbing water, chewing up acreage for hot houses, installing and then abandoning in place, irrigation systems. Guns, lots of rowdies, and trashy living in many cases. He said it was too bad because the legal licensed folks adhere to the norms and do thing properly in order to provide to the sale points.

Apparently, the financial benefits do not outweigh strangers coming in and reducing the quality of life in those areas surrounded by growers. I personally don't know, but he really dislikes what has happened to his area.

– crowbone

Hey, if Willie Nelson can do it, why not Rush? Good album, too!

Hard to believe that federal and state governments are ignoring the tax cash cow legalizing marijuana could be. Big Pharma has a vested interest in keeping it illegal so they can sell more opiates, and private prisons make tons of money incarcerating those involved. It's far less harmful than alcohol and opiates and meth. Let your conscience be your guide.

I have a friend that lives up in Northern California on the Oregon Border, been there about 40 yrs. He absolutely hates the pot industry, legal or otherwise. He said that he is moving away due to the diminishing quality of life. Both legal and illegal growers are causing environmental issues, mostly the illegal. Robbing water, chewing up acreage for hot houses, installing and then abandoning in place, irrigation systems. Guns, lots of rowdies, and trashy living in many cases. He said it was too bad because the legal licensed folks adhere to the norms and do thing properly in order to provide to the sale points.

Apparently, the financial benefits do not outweigh strangers coming in and reducing the quality of life in those areas surrounded by growers. I personally don't know, but he really dislikes what has happened to his area.

– Parralax View

Legalizing pot will have the effect of substantially reducing - eliminating completely isn't realistic - the illegal operations, of the disrupting and disturbing type you describe. What will keep the government prices from getting out of hand here, is that the illegal operations will go back into production very quickly. FWIW, operations such as you describe haven't been found or been a wholesale problem here in BC. Sure, there are illegal operations but in BC, they're very private and not on the scale of the pot farms found in CA wilderness regions. I lived in CA and followed the news daily. Most reported here on the news tend to be meth labs in homes, not pot operations.

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's unfortunate issues and certainly don't blame him for moving away. I do feel that legalization is most definitely the route to go. As Holland found out with prostitution years ago, it can't be eliminated so legalize it and control it both for the health benefits and taking it out of the hands of criminals. Seems to have worked. Same reasoning here with legalizing pot. And of course the government benefits from the massive tax generated. Let's hope this tax windfall will trickle down and help the general populace.

Pot is legal in Holland as you may know.

It's something you try when you're a teenager.

I found that those who insist on using it on a regular basis when they get past the age of twenty, are a bit silly and often unpleasant.

So annoying to see stoned tourists in Amsterdam. Or see needy folk from abroad cross our border to get this childish stuff.

One third chance of each, is what you can get using it: A. Nothing happens, B. Unpleasant effects, C. Some fun experience.

I totally lost interest.

Pot is legal in Holland as you may know.

It's something you try when you're a teenager.

I found that those who insist on using it on a regular basis when they get past the age of twenty, are a bit silly and often unpleasant.

So annoying to see stoned tourists in Amsterdam. Or see needy folk from abroad cross our border to get this childish stuff.

One third chance of each, is what you can get using it: A. Nothing happens, B. Unpleasant effects, C. Some fun experience.

I totally lost interest.

– Geoff_Vane

But it’s important that people do not go to jail because of that, right? :)

Absolutely! Totally unimportant phenomenon. Pot yourself dizzy. Not worth any police attention nor jail sentence. It's as exciting as going to bed very late.

Well, OK then. Among those who use it on a regular basis past their twenties, there are people who find you a bit silly and unpleasant.

I don't doubt Geoff's angle. He doesn't like it. But there are those that are productive, considerate, and if not for this one vice, model citizens in many parts of the world. It is what it is.

Register Sign in to join the conversation