Miscellaneous Rumbles

British Columbia, after pot is legalized later this year.

Shame on you, Winsordave, for making light of marijuana use. I think any sober-minded, responsible adult can see all too clearly what life in Canada is going to become once this unholy legalization boondoggle is implemented...

I can’t wait to not smoke pot legally in BC

Didn't Tommy Chong avoid the Draft hanging out in BC?

There's a lot of supporting background for Pot Humor there!

EDIT: My mistake, he is Canadian! It was Cheech who crossed over to Vancouver...

We are able to use marijuana in Arizona for medical purposes. I think society is finally coming around to devilfying marijuana. The process of obtaining an MMJ card is simple and easy, however the state demands its pound of flesh ($150/year). As someone who is acutely aware of the slavery opiate and opioid medication produces, I welcome the non addictive alternative. On the federal level, marijuana is still classified as a class I narcotic, meaning that it has no medical value. This is odd because there is actually an FDA approved medication, that is derived from marijuana. States that decriminalize or permit the use of marijuana for medical purposes, create a weird situation where state law successfully supercedes federal law, and allow a federally outlawed drug to be used instate.

It is about time. How many kids lives have been ruined by overly enthusiastic police. The liquor lobby and the controllers (peeps that like to control what other peeps can do) time has passed. Well almost...

I can’t wait to not smoke pot legally in BC

– GaryE

As you neighbour Gary, I can't wait for it to be legal as well...….and I've never used it or will. It needs to be de-criminalized for all the legitimate reasons research has shown, but for me, I want to see the BC government use the incredible tax revenue that will be generated to relieve the immoral tax burden on us now and what that band of clowns is proposing for our future. Trusting they'll use the tax windfall properly is just a pie-in-the-sky dream though.

As you neighbour Gary, I can't wait for it to be legal as well...….and I've never used it or will. It needs to be de-criminalized for all the legitimate reasons research has shown, but for me, I want to see the BC government use the incredible tax revenue that will be generated to relieve the immoral tax burden on us now and what that band of clowns is proposing for our future. Trusting they'll use the tax windfall properly is just a pie-in-the-sky dream though.

– Windsordave

Seems unlikely that the revenue will do a lot of good for the communities that need it most.This is not the small town(Vancouver) I grew up in , that’s for sure!

If it CAN be taxed, government MAKE it legal, so it WILL be taxed!

Since legalization for recreational use in Oregon several years ago, the tax revenue has allowed the state to provide funding for schools and other programs. In addition, there are the tax dollars saved from no longer policing such use, beginning with decriminalization of possession of one ounce or less in 1973.

Since it is still against Federal law, and since my occupational license is Federal and covered by FAA drug testing standards, I couldn't partake even if I wanted to. This does, however, provide me a position from which to observe the outcome. Somehow, we've managed to avoid descending into a state of lawless debauchery, or at least avoided descending much further than we were anyway.

One of the important lessons we're learning is the need for consistent standards for packaging and identification of edible marijuana products, many of which are in candy form. Improper and inconsistent packaging has led to an increase in emergency room visits due to accidental consumption. I would expect that the Canadian situation, being on a much larger scale, would allow for better standards in this area.

Good points Tim and to your point about standards, the new decriminalized laws here are nationwide, not province to province so that area of concern or in-fighting with respect to provincial boundaries is eliminated.

Here in BC, pot will be under severe scrutiny from those allowed to grow it to who can sell it. Here in BC, while the majority of liquor sales are at government owned and operated stores, there are highly regulated private vendors as well. This arrangement will be the same for pot sales locations and vendors. Quality control will be extremely strict so sales of pot on the street from a safety standpoint, should just dry up and go away. There will be huge controlled greenhouses growing pot that will sell to both the government as well as the independents and individuals can openly grow their own, although there will be limits so as to [try] and control the home growers going into business and not paying for a dealer's license or submitting tax on their sales. Of course no system is foolproof but there will no longer be anything criminal about using pot - DWI will still apply though - and no government fighting between provinces and the feds. It's the best we can hope for.

Edit: Canada has long ago discontinued the penny; the $1 & $2 bills, replaced with more effective and long life coins; our bills have always been highly noticeably colored; and we're about to embark on a nationwide change in pot being decriminalized. The question here is, when are you guys going to catch up?

A couple of interesting news items from this week were, Canadian investors with portfolios that include American marijuana growers or retailers are being turned away at the border and states that have legalized marijuana are freeing up law enforcement resources and court time.

That's not trying to "catch up". Federally - while they fight with individual states, it's moving backward as far as how pot is considered legally. I wonder, do they have a year from the last century they're aiming their continuing bullying and persecutions at. The states are moving in the right direction but the feds are unrelenting in their steadfast attempts to put the pot genie back in the bottle. Sad really.

Many folks thought that Colorado would go to heck after legalization.

Well, the crap areas are still crap areas, and people of all ages can now do what they've been doing for years while up in those mountains.

Only difference is that they can go to a "store" and when the leave, walk to their cars. No running needed anymore.

I was up there last week. Maybe it was two weeks ago. Ah shucks, I can't remember. lol

Has there been any increase in drug related psychosis since decriminalization?

Has there been any increase in drug related psychosis since decriminalization?

– Uncle Daddy

Only among those with a financial interest in keeping marijuana illegal, either from the supply side or the enforcement side.

They're definitely experiencing Reefer Madness.

I can't wait for Rush to put out that Reggae album!

Register Sign in to join the conversation