Miscellaneous Rumbles

BOLO - Stolen Gretsch Content

Link

The thief grabbed two guitars and ran out of the store.

This is the store that had the Country Club I tried to buy a couple of months ago. Very sad, the proprietors are nice people.

That's sad. I have never been to that shop but I will check it out next time I'm in OC.

Somebody's about to find the answer to the age-old question of how much crystal meth are a '68 Johnny Smith and a '55 Firebird worth. I blame Walter White.

On the bright side, the security footage is clear enough that she'll be easy to ID if, with any luck, somebody recognizes her.

Where were the employees? She was the only person I saw. Thieves are the scum of the Earth.

If the shop has good insurance coverage and get a claim for the stated values approved by an adjuster, collecting $19K for those two will be a much better than any customer sales.

According to the news story, another customer (accomplice, maybe? maybe not) asked the employee to get something that was upstairs. When he left the sales floor, she seized the opportunity. The retailer in me heard the part about leaving the sales floor unmonitored and cringed a bit.

I feel bad for the owner, but at some point, you need to put expensive stuff locked behind glass. Even if it's to prevent Stewie Skateboard from pulling it down and shredding for an hour. That stuff is serious buyers only.

According to the news story, another customer (accomplice, maybe? maybe not) asked the employee to get something that was upstairs. When he left the sales floor, she seized the opportunity. The retailer in me heard the part about leaving the sales floor unmonitored and cringed a bit.

– giffenf

I wondered if that were the case. We have a high end guitar store similar to that in town. It's access is by appointment only. While that makes it hard for the average joe to browse, it does keep those likely to grab and go outside.

Silly methhead, she left the cases behind.

Who leaves a store unattended? How did she know they were the most expensive guitars? Something isn’t right.

The accomplice (boyfriend) might have put her up to it. Poor physical security but good video security. Likely she’ll be identified.

Either way, a good ‘old fashioned garden hose beating is in order. Guitar thieves suck.

I agree with Curt. What were the odds she knew which two guitars were the most valuable? Looks pre-planned. Also, the get-away car was parked further away than necessary if she had just gone in for shopping. Possibly didn’t want the car and/or license plates captured on film?

I don’t know anything about the shop. Hopefully they have good insurance, but even they do, will their rates be raised? One way or the other, the shop owners are going to take a hit. Thieves suck.

I was playing that Johnny Smith two weeks ago, it’s a goodun

I did happen to notice the values went up after the theft...

One block from my shop & studio.

Either way, a good ‘old fashioned garden hose beating is in order. Guitar thieves suck. Curt Wilson

As a victim of guitar thieves, I wholeheartedly agree with you Curt. Guitar thieves have earned a very special place down under (and I don't mean Australia)!

I liken this to horse theft in the days of the old west.

Yeah, totally sucks. Interesting how She really knew her way around handling those Guitars, maybe this isn't her first Rodeo ?

Silly methhead, she left the cases behind.

I thought about that too. Facetiously, they can nab her when she comes back to buy "cases for a big guitar and a little guitar."

More practically - and presumably the police, pawn shops, and other guitar emporia will already be hip to this trip - all such shops should throw up red flags if anyone comes in to buy cases in the near future.

Though likely the guitars have already found their way into the hands of dirty brokers who don't care how they get guitars to supply collectors who also don't care.

And, I guess, for that matter, this alert has presumably gone national - because the guitars could go anywhere to be fenced. I'm sure they're watching eBay and Reverb. It's hard to tell how stupid, shrewd, or shrewpid such thieves and their connections might be.

Don't go upstaires and leave the guitars on the wall, the front door unlocked, and a stranger in the room.

My guess is she had been to the store before and took note of what she wanted to take..... probably not her first rodeo...

Don't go upstaires and leave the guitars on the wall, the front door unlocked, and a stranger in the room.

– Billy Zoom

Very true. I don’t think the owner would do such a thing so must have been an employee.

An employee should know better than that so I wonder if it was an inside job and the employee was in on it.

Those idiots definitely will be caught. The guitars will be recovered. No doubt about it.

She's been caught, and the guitars have been returned. https://www.nbclosangeles.c...

On the topic of not-smart thieves, I was up in Seattle over the weekend and had no intention of doing anything guitar-related other than listening to a few good players at the event we were attending. Then on Sunday a friend, who was DJ-ing at the event, asked me if I wanted to go to GC, it was just a few blocks away, to get a new mixer, because the one he had had just crapped out. Fine, I thought (there's another whole thread's-worth of discussion about what else happened there, but I'll save that for later). So we get there and learn the store has moved. The new location wasn't far away so we went there. While we were checking out and paying for our purchases, we talked with them about the new location. They said they'd just opened and didn't even have their bars and gates up yet, and had already had one break-in. Now were it me, I would not open a guitar store in a college neighborhood without iron bars and security gates, but I digress.

(now, to finally get to the point): Then they said they already got the stuff back. The thieves stole a bunch of microphones. OK, that shows a little thought, non-bulky, higher-ticket items. But then what did the thieves do? They took them over to the Redmond GC and tried to sell them back.

there's another whole thread's-worth of discussion about what else happened there, but I'll save that for later

Well...of course this is the interesting part. We'll wait for the story till you can talk about it.

Who's writing for NBC in Los Angeles? One, the story tells us nothing of interest, unless we happen to know the womangirldunce who was caught. I don't think I'm the only reader who wants to know how she was caught, and why and where. Wouldn't the natural follow-up lede click-bait the HOW, with a story that goes into why she stole the guitars in the first place?

Second, the story wanders from semi-journalistic style to Farcebook-worthy adolescent yap and back, and mixes tenses as well. I don't know if it's conversational or illiterate.

At the end, we know only two things we didn't know before: the girl's name, and that the guitars are back. Are they damaged? We don't know. Did she steal for drugs? We don't know. Did she try to pawn them and get busted there, or did a security "guard" at WalMart think it odd that a woman would shop for meth pre-cursors while carrying a couple of guitars? Or were the guitars actually her poor sainted dead grandfather's she was re-claiming for the family after her damn cousins pawned them after the funeral? Don't know that either.

We DO get one tidbit of color in learning the getaway car tried to run down the store employee who chased it. We want more of that.

As journalism - even as tabloid entertainment - NBC LA is fail fail FAIL - and I demand my money back.

Did she steal for drugs? We don't know.

I think we do.

Register Sign in to join the conversation