Other Guitars

NGD , put on your sunglasses

I didn't do the membership thing but Larisa and I visited early Friday afternoon and it was incredible! She really enjoyed it and I was like a guitar geek with my nose against the glass cases. ;-)

I am spewing I missed this exhibit when I went to the Hall of Fame in July. The place was great!

Thursday afternoon was my opportunity to visit the Chet exhibit. And, as fate would have it, I met up with Dr. John Rumble, Senior Historian there at the HOF. Even though we had never met, Dr. Rumble noticed that my interest was far more than the average tourist, so he began to test me by playing dumb and asking me questions about Chet. He saw right away how much I adore Chet and his music and that my knowledge of things about Chet was above average, so he began to share how the exhibit came to be and put together. Very nice man and a most enjoyable visit. Dr. Rumble was also involved in the ceremony that awarded my good friend, Paul Yandell, the CGP designation.

Most of the stuff in the exhibit, I had already seen, but what stopped me dead in my tracks was Chet's workbench. Chet was a world class tinkerer and there was just something about seeing his work area that really made it personal. Dr. Rumble told me that they left all of the clutter and kept everything in place just like they found it in Chet's basement. I almost expected Chet to walk up any minute and sit down on the stool and start tinkering. It was that real.

There were two things in particular that I wanted to reconfirm in my mind. A friend had asked me to be sure to look at the knobs on Chet's 25L15, so I took a pic of that. Also, a few days back on the Chetboard, there was a direct contradiction about what Paul Yandell had always told everyone about the action on Chet's guitars. Paul has always been adamant about the fact that Chet's action was so high that it was actually uncomfortable for most players. Well, the statements were made (while Paul was in ICU fighting for his life, btw) about how ridiculous that was, because according to them, Chet had a low action on his guitars just like everyone else, and even though Paul had spent about 25 years with Chet and his guitars that he had it all wrong and he didn't know what he was talking about. Well, the first thing I did was walk straight to Chet's favorite guitar, his '59 CG, and guess what I saw? The thumb screw on the bass side was up just about as high as it would go, just like the pictures that we have seen. I don't really understand the need for that controversy, but Paul Yandell knows what he is talking about and has no reason to doctor the facts. The Gibson CG - same thing.

Now, back on track. I highly recommend the Chet Atkins exhibit at the CMHOF. It is a very thorough representation of one of the greatest musicians in history. Thanks to The Gretsch Guitar Company for their sponsorship of the exhibit.

Register Sign in to join the conversation