Miscellaneous Rumbles

Big News for Chet Atkins fans and Nashville Roundup attendees

So, you probably know by now about the massive 10-month long Chet Atkins exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame. If you don't, go read about it now. We'll wait.

Pretty cool, huh? Of course Chet was a key figure in Gretsch history. In fact, Fred Gretsch was a pretty key figure in getting this thing put together. So it promises to be a real bonanza for Chet fans and Gretsch fans in general.

Here's where it gets really cool. Knowing that we're about as obsessed as it gets when it comes to Chet, the Hall of Fame has reached out to us and made some really cool opportunities available to our little Gretsch Pages community.

First up: discounted Hall of Fame membership. HOF members are admitted to the Museum free of charge for a year, and are the first to learn about new programs, get discounts on merchandise, invites to special events and much more. I'll have more details on this soon -- as soon as I know what the promo code is -- but it looks to be a pretty worthwhile discount.

AND....
There will be some sort of special tour of the Atkins exhibit for Nashville Roundup attendees. Details are still being sorted out, but they're being very accomodating to us. I'll be blabbing more about this one, too, as the details get sorted out.

AND....
I think there might be a few items from the exhibit store at the Roundup. Take a look at the goodies they have to offer here and remember that if you get that discounted membership they're making available, you get a discount on the goods, too!

AND....
We're planning to have live streaming from big events over the 10 months of the exhibit running right here on the site. I'll have more info on the major events up soon.

AND....
Maybe more. Stay tuned.

Wow cool, I can't make it but I might just have to get that book!

Glad to see the GDP get some recognition, always! Very cool, Tim.

looks like I picked the right year to come over :D .

Yup. I think it's shaping up to be the best year yet (in what has already been a string of amazing events).

Bax, if you need any legwork done on the local Nashville end, just let me know.

Seeing as I am not booked for that weekend, I guess I need to make the 4 hour trek this year.

I need all of that stuff, book ,tee's, mug !

Does anyone know if they sell internationally?

I expect not, which will make me rather pissed off........again! !#$@%

JCHiggy wrote:

I need all of that stuff, book ,tee's, mug !

Does anyone know if they sell internationally?

I expect not, which will make me rather pissed off........again! !#$@%

JC, as a matter of fact, they DO ship internationally! Have a go! ;-)

YEEHAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!:D 8-)

Cheers TP!

Baxter wrote:

...There will be some sort of special tour of the Atkins exhibit for Nashville Roundup attendees. Details are still being sorted out, but they're being very accomodating to us...

While they're in an accommodating mood, please see if they'll allow one small white dog to take the tour. 8-)

Paul/FF909

Frequent Flyer 909 wrote:

While they're in an accommodating mood, please see if they'll allow one small white dog to take the tour. 8-)

Paul/FF909

I wonder if we can get a seeing-eye service harness for Mr. Spudnut... Paul, you could wear some Roy Orbison shades and fake it pretty good... ;-)

Man, that is one cool billboard, Deed. Only in Nashville. BTW, that is Chet's guitar, the one in the HOF. How I would love to have a little time with that one.

Hey Deed, We've got a different billboard down here in Murfreesboro... just drove past it this afternoon. Ours has a giant 6120 on it instead of a Country Gent.

I'll try to snap a pic of it soon.

OK, things are starting to come together....

For the Gretsch Pages community, the Country Music Hall of Fame is making a special offer of $10 off ALL membership levels.

Membership starts at $30 for folks outside of Tennessee, and $40 for Tennessee residents. So for us, $20 or $30 if you're a Tennessean.

Museum membership comes with a lot of perks: * Free admission to the Museum for one year Free access to Museum performances and programs, including programs planned to celebrate the Chet Atkins exhibition featuring Steve Wariner, Tommy Emmanuel, and more A 10 percent DISCOUNT in the Museum Store (and online), which can be applied to purchase of the exhibition companion book and any other Chet-related products.

Our coupon/promo code is "GRETSCH". Keep it under your hat.

To redeem your discount:
Go to countrymusichalloffame.org/membership, go and visit the Museum box office or call 615-416-2075. Be sure to use the code.

And remember, the Chet exhibit opens this Friday!

I'm in. ;-)

By the way, If anyone wants to have theirs by the time of the Nashville Roundup, I highly advise ordering no later than Sept. 9th. My confirmation email stated that it takes approximately 2 weeks to get your membership package.

Membership starts at $30 for folks outside of Tennessee, and $40 for Tennessee residents. :(

Deed, those are the regular prices.
Mine cost $30 as a TN resident with the promo code in Bax's message. So even though we TN residents still pay more than out-of-towners, it's still a 25% discount over the normal in-state rate.

But like Tim stated, keep it under your hat. ;-)

I thought that was kind of weird, too, but then it occurred to me if you lived in TN, you'd probably go a LOT. I would. A museum membership means. free admission for a year, which strikes me as a stone bargain at 30 bucks.

I didn't do the membership thing but Larisa and I visited early Friday afternoon and it was incredible! She really enjoyed it and I was like a guitar geek with my nose against the glass cases. ;-)

I am spewing I missed this exhibit when I went to the Hall of Fame in July. The place was great!

Thursday afternoon was my opportunity to visit the Chet exhibit. And, as fate would have it, I met up with Dr. John Rumble, Senior Historian there at the HOF. Even though we had never met, Dr. Rumble noticed that my interest was far more than the average tourist, so he began to test me by playing dumb and asking me questions about Chet. He saw right away how much I adore Chet and his music and that my knowledge of things about Chet was above average, so he began to share how the exhibit came to be and put together. Very nice man and a most enjoyable visit. Dr. Rumble was also involved in the ceremony that awarded my good friend, Paul Yandell, the CGP designation.

Most of the stuff in the exhibit, I had already seen, but what stopped me dead in my tracks was Chet's workbench. Chet was a world class tinkerer and there was just something about seeing his work area that really made it personal. Dr. Rumble told me that they left all of the clutter and kept everything in place just like they found it in Chet's basement. I almost expected Chet to walk up any minute and sit down on the stool and start tinkering. It was that real.

There were two things in particular that I wanted to reconfirm in my mind. A friend had asked me to be sure to look at the knobs on Chet's 25L15, so I took a pic of that. Also, a few days back on the Chetboard, there was a direct contradiction about what Paul Yandell had always told everyone about the action on Chet's guitars. Paul has always been adamant about the fact that Chet's action was so high that it was actually uncomfortable for most players. Well, the statements were made (while Paul was in ICU fighting for his life, btw) about how ridiculous that was, because according to them, Chet had a low action on his guitars just like everyone else, and even though Paul had spent about 25 years with Chet and his guitars that he had it all wrong and he didn't know what he was talking about. Well, the first thing I did was walk straight to Chet's favorite guitar, his '59 CG, and guess what I saw? The thumb screw on the bass side was up just about as high as it would go, just like the pictures that we have seen. I don't really understand the need for that controversy, but Paul Yandell knows what he is talking about and has no reason to doctor the facts. The Gibson CG - same thing.

Now, back on track. I highly recommend the Chet Atkins exhibit at the CMHOF. It is a very thorough representation of one of the greatest musicians in history. Thanks to The Gretsch Guitar Company for their sponsorship of the exhibit.

Register Sign in to join the conversation