Miscellaneous Rumbles

Best Overdrive on Filtertrons

You never talked about what amp you are playing thru? What cabinet? Closed back or open back? Chris Cheney’s sound has that AC/DC Marshall thing going on.

If you’re in Fender land I’m not sure you’re going to nail that tone? Give a listen to some hard rockin Gretsch playing bands of yore: The Cult, Throw Rag, and the huge guitar sound of Bow Wow Wow, all played Marshall amps. Billy Duffy of The Cult often mixes the sound from a JC120 and a full blown Marshall to get some sparkle and balls all in one sonic package. If you play in large enough venues this might be the ticket. I play in smaller clubs and crank a smaller Vox to get that tone.

– Hipbone

I know this can be controversial but in a personal conversation outside the Gretsch room at NAMM, I had a talk w Billy Duffy about ceramic pickups and overdrive pedals that are based on symmetrical clipping versus asymmetrical clipping and why he didnt get along w a tubescreamer<*symmetric clipping> but relied completely on his asymmetric clipping Boss OD-1(later the SD-1) and Roland JC120 for his sound w the gretsch, NOT the marshall.When I explained that Ibanez copied the earlier Boss OD-1 and that they had a patent on Asymmetric clipping at that time, Ibanez got around it by flippin the clipping diodes to Symmetric clipping... That squishy response made that green pedal quite famous, SRV took it into the stratosphere... BUT for those of us that play big hollowbodies, we prefer the more open sound response of Asymmetric clipping and the OD1/SD1. So he was like "aha" and was firm on the sound of balwin era pickups (ceramic) and that overdrive w the JC120 amp.. at least in that conversation that those 3 elements were the classic "The Cult" sound. True story.

I do hear more of the JC120 sound in The Cult.

...and I do love Jack White’s sound but it is very different than Chris Cheney’s. To me Jack has a very,very “low-fi” sound, an old Silvertone amp at The edge of destruction.

...and I do love Jack White’s sound but it is very different than Chris Cheney’s. To me Jack has a very,very “low-fi” sound, an old Silvertone amp at The edge of destruction.

– Hipbone

Oh agreed, i guess i should have been more clear that i just mean that they're two fellas i enjoy who both use higher gain in different ways. I've never been a higher gain player in any fashion and am trying to figure out how to get there and where im headed.

You never talked about what amp you are playing thru? What cabinet? Closed back or open back? Chris Cheney’s sound has that AC/DC Marshall thing going on.

If you’re in Fender land I’m not sure you’re going to nail that tone? Give a listen to some hard rockin Gretsch playing bands of yore: The Cult, Throw Rag, and the huge guitar sound of Bow Wow Wow, all played Marshall amps. Billy Duffy of The Cult often mixes the sound from a JC120 and a full blown Marshall to get some sparkle and balls all in one sonic package. If you play in large enough venues this might be the ticket. I play in smaller clubs and crank a smaller Vox to get that tone.

– Hipbone

I've always played deluxe reverbs...since pretty much forever. I have a bassman that has a closebacked 12. But I honestly rarely play it.

but lately I've been obsessed with the danelectro centurion. Might be picking one up soon.

If you’ve only played deluxe reverbs, I’d take some time and play a few different amp.
The amp can make a huge difference in tone. I only played a Musicman RD50 for years. I tried many different pedals but it wasn’t until I tried some different amps that I was happy with my overdriven sound. There really is nothing like saturated power tube overdrive. Try some amps with different power tubes.
I haven’t heard of the Danelectro amp I’ll have to look it up.

I like using my RC booster by Xotic effects, seems to be the one that I use the most at the moment

– Hipbone

big jack white fans in this house, he's carrying both the spirit of the delta, zep and great guitars n effects forward to the kids.

That reminds me.

I still have my Little Big Muff on a stoner setting and I haven't yet explored any Jack White settings. How could I have forgotten?

Sorry for the derailment, carry on gentlemen.

If you’ve only played deluxe reverbs, I’d take some time and play a few different amp.
The amp can make a huge difference in tone. I only played a Musicman RD50 for years. I tried many different pedals but it wasn’t until I tried some different amps that I was happy with my overdriven sound. There really is nothing like saturated power tube overdrive. Try some amps with different power tubes.
I haven’t heard of the Danelectro amp I’ll have to look it up.

– Hipbone

it's a toss up between the centurion and the airline 9003

...im definitely a weird dude, i like my stuff to be cool, cheap, and sound awesome. (mostly it's a pick two scenario).

grabbed this over the weekend. gonna try a JHS and Tavo's pedal too (obviously)

That Airline looks sweet!

I gotta wait til one hits the market, but i got my eyes peeled.

Jack White sells a fuzz pedal out of his Third Man Records studio in Nashville. The Black Bumble Buzz wont give you any trouble finding a sweet spot. There are no knobs. Its on or off. I tried it out at the studio and didnt bond with it. But it has his vibe.

I think Chesney uses a Klon. Good luck with that.

in the vein of more saturated overdrive, I really like a vintage RAT pedal with my 6120 through a deluxe reverb. I have a 1985 ProCo Rat I love to use with my 335 (into a warm Marshall) and a RAT-inspired Ubangi Stomp pedal from Tavo that works really well into my fender amps.

Register Sign in to join the conversation