Miscellaneous Rumbles

Beatles Gear Book — Gretsch Edition?

I've never seen that. You should reach out to Andy he seems pretty approachable.
I'd be interested if George's Gretsches were still in existence. But those are just "stand ins"

This is a special edition. I received a copy as a gift. I don’t know if it has more Gretsch pictures. There’s a lot of non-Gretsch pics in it. That’s not mine for sale.

I'm sort of surprised Olivia Anne doesn't have a copy.

It is my recollection that, around the time that this second edition of the book was released, Andy Babiuk worked with Fred Gretsch to have these special Gretsch editions printed and then Fred Gretsch sold them on his gretsch.com website as Gretsch accessories.

I have no special information about it, but I would be surprised if the book had contents that differed in any manner from the regular second edition book. I think that these books are simply branded "Gretsch" for Gretsch guitar fans' pleasure.

I never saw another version of the book but suspect that Ric is right about this.

I'm sort of surprised Olivia Anne doesn't have a copy.

– wabash slim

You presumed I don't? Right--how did I miss! [I love that Y'All expect me to have All their toys.]

But, I do have two editions of Andy's book, and several others. I've sent Andy a note about this. He'll come back around eventually.

Btw, Google says Rocky has these, if we want them. And, there are several other sources. If it differs from the standard editions, you'll know what to get me for Christmas, now. XX, OA

I noticed that as well.

Do you suppose that only 1000 units of the Second Edition were published and that there were only 200 units that were Gretsch branded?

I just Googled the book and found number 359 previously for sale on Reverb. It isn’t signed. Maybe 200 were signed? If so, my assumption is that the signature plus $5 might net me a cup of coffee and a muffin. . No plans to lose the book so all is good. The price in the original post may be a good deal.

I've never seen that. You should reach out to Andy he seems pretty approachable.
I'd be interested if George's Gretsches were still in existence. But those are just "stand ins"

– captainvideo

As you probably already know, the estate owns the Duo Jet. And the black 12 string Gretsch made as a proposed signature model was given away and is now in a private collection. The first Gent disappeared at the end of '63 (presumably traded in, as the Tennessean shows up at the same time). The second Gent was run over and destroyed in 1965. The Tennessean was stolen. So, two are accounted for, one is destroyed, and two are unaccounted for, but presumably out there somewhere. The first Gent probably belongs to someone who has no idea that it was George's, assuming it still exists. But I would imagine whoever owns the Tennessean knows what it is, since it was stolen from Abbey Road.

And . . . Andy says "the book is the same just a Gretsch edition." So, there you have it.

Does anyone know when the TENNESSEAN was stolen. Is the seriel number known?

– davedee

George's Tennessean, along with his 2nd Rickenbacker 12-string and Paul's Cavern bass, was stolen in 1969 from an equipment room at a studio. I may have been wrong about it being Abbey Road. I think it would have been Twickenham, during the "Let It Be" sessions.

As for the serial number, here it is:

58174? The last three seem pretty clearly to be 174. Maybe Ed has an idea of the possible combinations of the first two numbers that would make sense for a '63 batch of Tennesseans ending in 174.

Thanks Afire Wondered when it had gone missing. I always thought my Tenny was brand new when I bought it in 1966 until I joined this great melting pot of knowledge in 2008 and found my serial number 42669 was earlier.

Have tried to find info about it before I bought it, where had it been , who had owned it, had it been in America before I bought it in England. but with no success.

Unfortunately the store I bought it from closed in 1994.

George's Tennessean, along with his 2nd Rickenbacker 12-string and Paul's Cavern bass, was stolen in 1969 from an equipment room at a studio. I may have been wrong about it being Abbey Road. I think it would have been Twickenham, during the "Let It Be" sessions.

As for the serial number, here it is:

58174? The last three seem pretty clearly to be 174. Maybe Ed has an idea of the possible combinations of the first two numbers that would make sense for a '63 batch of Tennesseans ending in 174.

– Afire

Where/how did you get this photo? Reminds me of that scene in Bladerunner where he tries to identify the owner of the snake.

Register Sign in to join the conversation