Miscellaneous Rumbles

Baseball Season is here!

So Opening day came and went and My ANGELS are looking good. The Japanese question mark looks to be the Real Deal with 2 home runs already. The first 2 way player since Babe Ruth is living up to expectations( so far). Shohei Ohtani is bringing some excitement to the West Coast Baseball Scene. Looks like im headed over to the BIG A a few times this year.

Anyway ,good Luck to all the Baseball lovers out there and I hope the Season looks good for everyone,,well except the Los Doyers.

The Blue Jays have started off better than I'd say most folks would've expected. They've started the season against two power house teams, the Yanks and White Socks. I hope they can stay away from injuries and buy into playing some 'small ball' this year, not thinking they always need the long ball to win.

Yanks on pace to hit 350 home runs. Of course, it's silly to extrapolate from such a small sample size. So, they will probably actually hit 400 once they get going .

Severino looks like a true ace coming into his own. The crowded outfield is depleted by freak minor injuries. The scary deep bullpen has underwhelmed. And new skipper Aaron Boone seems to be working from a spreadsheet more than what he sees on the field. But all these issues should resolve...and be replaced by others. That's what makes seasons into stories.

But the Astros remain the team to beat in the American League. No doubt. They were stunningly good last year and have improved this year. We'll see how Manny's Angels handle their division rivals.

The Astros look good so far. They may do it again.

The Astros with all those young talented, and Proven , Players are scary good. Bregman,Correa, Altuve, what a Team for sure.

I really don't have a dog in the fight anymore, since they moved the Dodgers from Brooklyn, and that was a long time ago. I still have a love for the game, but it's just hard to have a favorite team. I see lots of good young talent the last few years. That's what makes it exciting for me.

Our Louisville Bats are the AAA Affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds; as such, we just feed our good players on up the line, as it should be, dangit. Like we did with our Aroldis Chapman a bit back; he's not coming back, as far as I ever can tell. Yanks like him; we did, a lot, too.

But this year, at least we start with some fun, tomorrow night, in the forecast snow:

"The number one prospect in the Reds organization, one of the top 10 prospects in MLB and the best hitter to come through the organization since Votto, his name is Nick Sinzel," said Galiette. "He will start the season with us. But I know the Reds will be chomping at the bit to get him because everyplace he's been with the Reds, he's hit over 300 and they expect him to do the same thing here."

Galiette also says the Bats will have an All-star cast of coaches including a new team manager, Pat Kelly."

Cannot wait! I've got an extra wonderful ticket any time you are in The Ville and the Boys are in town.

My Giants finally broke out of their scoring slump. They split their first four games, but only scored two runs in the process, both homeruns from second baseman Joe Panik. The second two games were shutouts. Ouch. Yesterday, they finally trounced the Mariners 10-1. I think the team is at right about .500 right now.

Richard, may I recommend that you adopt my Giants as your team?

By the way, funny thing happened to me yesterday. I had the chance to talk with Joe Carducci and, during our conversation, another phone line rang. Joe kindly allowed me to answer it and, after saying hello and stating who I was, the voice on the other end said, "This is Dusty Baker." I about pee'd myself. I grew up watching Dusty play ball in Los Angeles and then was tickled pink when he came north to coach the Giants. He is a good guy and unfortunately just hasn't been able to consistently win the World Series. I had sent him a note congratulating him on being hired back into the Giants organization. We had a very nice but brief chat as I did not want to leave Joe hanging. How about that?

My Giants finally broke out of their scoring slump. They split their first four games, but only scored two runs in the process, both homeruns from second baseman Joe Panik. The second two games were shutouts. Ouch. Yesterday, they finally trounced the Mariners 10-1. I think the team is at right about .500 right now.

Richard, may I recommend that you adopt my Giants as your team?

By the way, funny thing happened to me yesterday. I had the chance to talk with Joe Carducci and, during our conversation, another phone line rang. Joe kindly allowed me to answer it and, after saying hello and stating who I was, the voice on the other end said, "This is Dusty Baker." I about pee'd myself. I grew up watching Dusty play ball in Los Angeles and then was tickled pink when he came north to coach the Giants. He is a good guy and unfortunately just hasn't been able to consistently win the World Series. I had sent him a note congratulating him on being hired back into the Giants organization. We had a very nice but brief chat as I did not want to leave Joe hanging. How about that?

– Ric12string

Way to go Bob, Dusty is a Baseball Legend.

Charlie Brown will be back on that mound, in the rain, always losing, yet utterly undefeated.

Speaking of losing in the wet, this is quite the headline.

Ric12string, you'll be glad to know that my all time favorite player is the Say Hey kid, #24, Willie Mays. Willie's love for the game rubbed off on everyone. I know, he was in New York when I fell in love with that basket catch, and all that enthusiasm, but I did follow him when the Giants moved. My geographical location says I should be following the Rangers, and I have, somewhat, but they make so many bonehead management moves that it is hard to stay excited. I really had hope when Nolan Ryan moved into the front office there, but jealousy and egos took over and Nolan is no longer there, and as a consequence, the Rangers are no longer a threat, and won't be.

But, I love baseball. I loved it as a kid, and I guess I'm still a kid, because I still love baseball.

You're kidding about Dusty Baker calling you on the phone. Right?

You're kidding about Dusty Baker calling you on the phone. Right? --Richard Hudson

No sir. There's no reason to make up a story like that. I would swear to that on a stack of Bibles. It most definitely happened.

I should have put a smiley face after my little jab of a query. I was watching my grandson play junior high baseball yesterday, and engaged in a conversation with an old friend about the "good ol' days" when Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blatner had the Game Of The Week on TV. That was the only nationally televised game all week. If it got rained out, then ol' Diz and Buddy would entertain. They had nowhere else to go. Ol' Diz kept all the English teachers busy with his butchering of the Queen's English.

Diz was a national treasure, wasn't he? We used to soooo look forward to seeing a baseball game on the television; these days, however, it is customary to have a game on most every night where I live. Perhaps that greater saturation of baseball has led somewhat to a lessening in its popularity. But, I will always love the game.

Diz was a national treasure, wasn't he? We used to soooo look forward to seeing a baseball game on the television; these days, however, it is customary to have a game on most every night where I live. Perhaps that greater saturation of baseball has led somewhat to a lessening in its popularity. But, I will always love the game.

– Ric12string

On the other hand, ex-pats like me in another hemisphere can watch games. And in a country where baseball barely exists, I can watch afternoon games live in the evenings with my son. Taught him how to read box scores this morning before he left for school!

Nice work, Strummerson. He will remember you with every box score he reads for the rest of his life.

My Giants beat Manny's Dodgers today in 14 innings on a walk off homerun from newcomer, Andrew McCutchen. What a way to endear yourself to Giants fans everywhere. This game made up for the other disappointments thus far. But, the season is still young.

Nice work, Strummerson. He will remember you with every box score he reads for the rest of his life.

My Giants beat Manny's Dodgers today in 14 innings on a walk off homerun from newcomer, Andrew McCutchen. What a way to endear yourself to Giants fans everywhere. This game made up for the other disappointments thus far. But, the season is still young.

– Ric12string

ANGELS Bob,ANGELS!

Anytime the Los Doyers Lose its a celebration. Last years World Series was a very joyous Event around my Home. Thank you to the Astros for doing the beating.

Yeah. But God help me if he starts asking me about sabermetrics/advanced statistics/analytics...

My Phillies...... Oh well, now you know "the rest of the story"......

New manager (Kaplen) was getting rave reviews from the press..... I'm starting to have memories (nightmares?) of Chip Kelly when he joined my Eagles.......

Late to the show here but none the less excited to see how my Astros do. Great start but got tripped by the Twins.

The Indians batting has finally started to heat up to support the great pitching efforts.

Register Sign in to join the conversation