Miscellaneous Rumbles

Baseball Playoffs

After a historic season by my hometown team, the Astros, it's that time of year to see how your team fared this season.

I had a nice winner with the Astros a couple years back...

This year the Book Makers have skewed to Odds such that you needed to pick a single team to go all the way since early Summer. No way to hedge...

My cousin thinks the Yanks will have a rough ride to make it all the way through...I agree.

My Indians came close. But when you think of the adversity they faced this year, it could still be considered a triumphant season.

Born in NY, reside in Tampa so I’m good so far with the Yankees and Rays. It’s amazing the year NY had considering all the players that were (and still are) on the IL.

OK...... I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs and have been a Phillies fan since 1950. Does that answer the question?

have been a Phillies fan since 1950.

You have my sympathy.

Brewers are going to win it all, no question.

Astros & Dodgers to the Big Show.

have been a Phillies fan since 1950.

You have my sympathy.

– Charlie Vegas

Thank you. That is very comforting.......

I am going tonight to root for the Nationals in the Wild Card game. We will see, our record in the playoffs hasn't been great and our bullpen is still questionable. But they have played great after May and 93 wins isn't bad. It will be fun to be there.

My Minnesota Twins shocked everybody in the North Star state by winning not only the Central division but setting the home run record. Not since the days of Harmon Killebrew in the 60s and early 70s have the Twins been known as a big power team. Kudos to manager Rocco Baldelli, the coaching staff and team management for the great success. Unfortunately they meet the Yankees in the playoffs, who have dominated the Twins for many years, both in the regular season and playoffs.

After a historic season by my hometown team, the Astros, it's that time of year to see how your team fared this season.

– razzer10_4

Why didn't MLB move the Brewers back to the AL rather than shift the Astros to the AL years ago?

That's what I said at the time, Dr.! They were the newcomers, send them back! But in time I embraced. MLB cut some kind of deal with new owner Jim Crane. I thought he was going to be a other Drayton McLane or worse McMullen. Turns out he's the best owner in Astros history.

Well the Nats pulled that one out of their a.....

As to the Brewers Astros switch I think Bud Selig always wanted a National league team because it reminded him of his youth when Milwaukee had the Braves. As Commissioner he had a lot of power and used it. If you recall we had several seasons of an unbalance AL/NL with the Astros move in a different season than the Brewers.

It ain't over 'til it's over - Yogi Berra

That's how it happens...a HBP, a Broken Bat blooper, then a Walk, then a hard hit single to the Outfield with a lot of pressure to get the ball back to Home Plate...

I think MLB wanted a Texas rivalry, so Astros went AL to face the Rangers...just like a Cubs/Brewers proximity in NL.

Fans can drive to either game...

It ain't over 'til it's over - Yogi Berra

That's how it happens...a HBP, a Broken Bat blooper, then a Walk, then a hard hit single to the Outfield with a lot of pressure to get the ball back to Home Plate...

I think MLB wanted a Texas rivalry, so Astros went AL to face the Rangers...just like a Cubs/Brewers proximity in NL.

Fans can drive to either game...

– Twangmeisternyc

You are probably right. I'm not a Bud Selig fan and ascribe bad motives to him.

Anyone have opinions on the A's Rays matchup??

A's never found their stride...

Rays now have a real challenge...ultimate "pitchers duel" series.

Yes, our bullpen is questionable, but it's great to get this far when we consider how our season began! Go Nats!

Baby shark do do do...

You wanted the Astros, you got'em, Charlie Vegas! 6-2! Your team just got Verlandered! Next you get raked over the Cole!

And then there were 7...

The Twins just don't play well against the Yanks.

Go Yankees! Go Rays! Wouldn’t mind seeing them both here in Tampa for the ALCS.

I never really got baseball. Watching from afar in a different country it didn't really seem to make any sense - not like cricket.

But last July, sheltering from the humidity and heat in NYC in some of the many bars, cooling myself down with a chilly brew or two, it started to make sense. Baseball is a bit like cricket in that for long periods nothing much seems to happen. And when something does happen it can be spectacular. It all seems very appropriate when you're propped up in a bar sipping beer.

I think the only thing which could make baseball better is to have 5-day matches. That is the beauty of cricket. You can have a match seem incredibly one-sided for 4 days and then on the 5th day the underdog does something spectacular and wins with minutes to spare. I went to (an admittedly unusually good) test match between Australia and England some years back where three Aussie batsmen made centuries (100 runs) in a row. And the last fella made his 100 runs off just 58 balls. It was an entire day of gripping, wonderful cricket.

Baseball games are far too short.

"It was an entire day of gripping, wonderful cricket."

Even back in the less hectic times and baseball's heyday of the last century, folks had no time for a sport that couldn't be played in a few hours.

"Baseball games are far too short." Baseball has rightly been compared to a game of chess, with the strategy of thinking ahead frequently at play. It isn't rigidly timed, which bothers a lot of folks, but does get played in a reasonable amount of time, extra innings notwithstanding. It's the non-timed nature that has a lot of appeal for baseball lovers, but not for days on end.

Register Sign in to join the conversation