Miscellaneous Rumbles

Bands You Hated Then But Like Now

I read his comment as every band he used to hate, he still does. Gotta give the man props for consistency!

– Parabar

Oh! You're probably right.

"Fortunate Son" is a great song, not really a swamp fantasy or a genre piece, just a great song.

I'm with BZ on the Eagles--except... that live vid where Walsh and that other guy with the beard that none of us can every remember by name) tore it up on the double solo to Hotel California.

Which is maybe just because Joe Walsh freaking rocked back then. (HE Can Play that Rock 'n' Roll).

And Credence also wore me out. Sort of fake southern swamp music (we did hear the real thing where I am from).

Except for RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE...

Now that is a killer song.

And I can forgive the Doors anything just cuz-a LA Woman.

But the band that I just cannot take...

Really...

I mean I cannot deal (maybe this is why I left the country even)...

Is...

Boston.

NO. NOT MORE THAN A FEELING. PLEASE NO.

Thinking back--if punk had not come along--everything from the UK Subs to the Clash to some of the stranger US bands ranging from DFX2 to X to that first Stray Cats record (and especially Rumble in Brighton), I might have given up on radio altogether.

Oh--I also... I admit it... I really liked some silly bands like Billy Idol (saw them in concert and they could bring it), Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads--a bunch of poppy stuff like that. Saw most of them live... But not kidding, Billy Idol and Steve Stevens could bring it. Saw them live and they tore it up (although Billy Idol introduced Dancing with Myself about four times in a row and then they sang different songs).

Also... Bow Wow Wow--that guitar player could play.

They had like two songs I remember, but that solo on I Want Candy--I still wish I could play that right.

I guess I'm sort of getting off track.

Did I tell you I saw the Rev play about 25 times growing up in Dallas along the way?

Plus a lot of bluegrass at festivals.

Probably saved me from complete oblivion.

Now... back to...

No, please. Not Boston.

AND NOT THAT DAMNED HEY 19 SONG THAT YOU HAD TO LISTEN TO AT THE DENTIST OFFICE BECAUSE IN DALLAS THEY WERE ALWAYS TUNED TO KVIL.

WHICH ALSO PLAYED STYX AND THE BEE GEES.

AND MICHAEL JACKSON.

Man...

My childhood was messed up.

K

Styx stynx.

i saw Billy Idol at one of the Neil Young Bridge School concerts--the one that also featured CSNY, Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Bob Dylan--and he tore it up. playing in the Bridge shows' acoustic format with Stevens on guitar and producer Keith Forsey on snare drum, he did a short, ripping 'billy-styled set that blew folks away who were expecting him to be lame and pop. Petty, who played next, said "and you thought Elvis was dead."

Re: Creedence

I read an interview with John Fogerty some time ago in which he described his childhood in El Cerrito, California --- a working-class suburb in the East Bay characterized by strip malls, used car lots, and some pleasant residential neighborhoods. John said their family used to spend a lot of time in the summers in the Sacramento River Delta. While not as humid (nor as ridden with 'skeeters and alligators) as the Mississippi Delta, they have a lot in common, including genuine swamps, levees, water snakes and such like. So whether or not you enjoy CCR, the swampiness was genuine, not pretend.

Register Sign in to join the conversation