Miscellaneous Rumbles

Bands You Hated Then But Like Now

They say your taste buds change every seven years but does that apply to taste in music? My teenage years were the early to mid 70's. The "Dazed and Confused" generation. Weekend TV filled with The Midnight Special, ABC's In Concert and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. So with that era I submit a band that filled both radio and TV time as one of my candidates for bands I hated then but like (or shall we say "get") now. The Guess Who. Sure, they had some kitschy songs such as the Wolfman Jack thing, but looking back their catalog of songs could rival some HOF groups. So in that vein, what artists did you dislike then but like now?

3 I can think of off the top of my head are The Doors, Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones. When I was a kid I thought The Doors and Pink Floyd were boring and the Stones were sloppy. What I didn't realize until I was older is that The Doors and Pink Floyd have layers and depth. I also realized the Stones' swagger is on purpose. They are the roll in rock and roll.

Bands I hated as an adolescent in the '70's: Boston, Journey, Foreigner, Toto and any clone of theirs. Don't hate them any more. But I still don't like 'em.

Zep. I came of age in the 70’s also. Every radio station, night and day, non-stop Zep. Every party, every cover band. I thought Page was really sloppy. Luckily there was plenty of Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher and BeBop Deluxe to fill the silence.

It wasn’t til my kids started taking guitar lessons that I put together what I thought was “required listening” for budding slingers. Had to include Zep I, II and III. As I listened again I realized that it was all about the songwriting. Really cool original music. Page never seemed to repeat himself. Pretty amazing records.

Hated All that long drawn out boring hippie music from the 60's with "too many notes",,,and Now,, Yup still hate it.

At least Im consistent.

But, this thread isn't about consistency, Manny. Just the opposite. It is about being fickle. And it's okay to be fickle.

I have softened my stance on The Beatles.

Queen. My younger brother collected every album. I hated every song and at the time we shared a room, so it got a little uncomfortable at times.

About a decade ago I was asked to create an orchestrated arrangement of "Bohemiam Rhapsody". It was the first time I seriously looked at their music.

Now I have most of their recordings in my collection. Don't play the songs on any of my guitars (Crazy Little Thing Called Love excepted), but the technical savvy behind a lot of their music is amazing when you actually look into it.

Just don't tell my brother, okay?

Neil Young went from zero to hero on my scale after seeing an old solo concert video and realizing he wasn't just a unique voice in a studio, but a great creative talent in writing, playing and singing.

the Velvet Underground struck young hippie me as ugly and negative, but to old hippie me they're hot sh*t avant-garde with great songwriting.

What Mr. Tubs said. The Beatles

My buddy Al had a 45 of Get Off of My Cloud. I thought it was terrible. In the late 70's I was still all about Jimi, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Muddy, Wolf, Clapton... I didn't get ANY Punk. Now so much Ramones sounds downright tame...and I can hear the old Rock and Roll influences. I like some punk.

For me, it's the other way around. There are bands that I used to like that I never listen to anymore. There are still myriad new bands that I wouldn't listen to if you paid me to.

What did the hippie say when the drugs wore off?

This band sucks!

Neil Young went from zero to hero on my scale after seeing an old solo concert video and realizing he wasn't just a unique voice in a studio, but a great creative talent in writing, playing and singing.

– NJBob

Same here. Didn't like Neil Young, CSN, CSNY as a teenager. Somewhere around age 35 I finally "got it".

Also didn't dig The Cure until around 1995.

Air Supply and REO Speedwagon

– Strummerson

I still don't get Air Supply.

And for me, REO was a favorite, UNTIL they went totally commercial pop-rock with the High Infidelity album. Their early albums are raw Midwestern bar-room rock & roll... Much more accessible to my ears.

Patti Smith - had to see her live to "get it"

The Clash (I know... I know...)

As someone who grew up with The Beatles, folk music, Dylan, Prog Rock, etc. it took me a good while before my "punk" ears finally opened.

Springsteen.

– crowbone

Cmon man, you're just messin' with us

Patti Smith - had to see her live to "get it"

The Clash (I know... I know...)

As someone who grew up with The Beatles, folk music, Dylan, Prog Rock, etc. it took me a good while before my "punk" ears finally opened.

– redrocker

I don't think mine ever did. Nor have they opened up for what I've heard some call acid jazz. Brubeck, Davis, Krall, et all, very cool. But non-structured, dissonant and just plain different experimental jazz eludes me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation