Miscellaneous Rumbles

Ashland Tennessee, anyone live there or know of it?

Oh I don’t know, Don. Last night we had tacos de carnitas (with kitchen made tortillas), chili verde, and deelish sopapillas. In Tennessee. We still miss the old days of getting taquitos on Olvera Street, but the population changes over the years have brought the joys of comidas Mexicanos to our neighborhood.

Bowl of fresh cilantro on the table. Heaven.

Geez, we have pretty killer Mexican even in Indiana. It’s the reason I live here.

Not that SoCal’s isn’t great - it is - but we do OK here on the coast of the Ohio.

Better get your fill of Mexican food before you leave LA. Decent comidas Mexicano is very difficult to find as you get closer to the right coast.

– Don Birchett

Don, Deed is right on with her post. I'm guessing you haven't been to Nashville in the past 15 years. Plenty of bona fide mercadas, carnicerias, tortillarias and taquerias here, owned primarily by immigrant Mexican and Central American entrepreneurial families. I have three within a one-mile radius of my house-- and I live in Murfreesboro, which is only 1/6 the size of Nashville.

And I'm not talking "corporate Tex-Mex" either. I'm talking family-recipe Tortas, Menudo, Tamales, Sopes, and yes, Tacos (traditional style, meat, onions, cilantro... not "Taco Bell" style), etc... (Tacos Lengua being a longtime favorite of mine!) Wash it all down with a cold Tecate or Jarritos of your choice! There is no shortage of good Mexican food in the Nashville area-- It's not all El Chico/Del Taco here, but we have our share of "Tex/Mex" as well, if that's what one prefers... not me though-- give me the good stuff, as pictured below.

Some shots from one of my nearby local haunts-- Maria's Mercada. And there's at least a dozen places like this (plus mobile taco wagons on top of that) in my little town of 120,000.

Hey Tartan I'll be looking you up soon.

– Taffy

Sounds good. Didn't anyone ever tell you that Nashville is the "Wales" of Tennessee?

I made that up just now... but I like to think of it that way! Just not as many goats & sheep as the old country.

I don't eat a lot of Mexican so I'm not bothered, more an Indian curry for me, that's what I'd like to know about? I'm leaving for Flagstaff this morning

Have a great trip Taffy, see you down the road sometime.

Bombay Palace on West End, in Nashville. Brilliant Indian restaurant. Vindaloo!!

Three excellent Indian spots in Franklin, we're spoiled for choice. Not sure if you’ll find a curry in Ashland City...but just wait, it won’t be long.

Bombay Palace on West End, in Nashville. Brilliant Indian restaurant. Vindaloo!!

Three excellent Indian spots in Franklin, we're spoiled for choice. Not sure if you’ll find a curry in Ashland City...but just wait, it won’t be long.

Sounds good. Didn't anyone ever tell you that Nashville is the "Wales" of Tennessee?

I made that up just now... but I like to think of it that way! Just not as many goats & sheep as the old country.

– Tartan Phantom

Seeing as how you mentioned them, are Tennessee sheep as 'nervous' as they are in Wales and Scotland?

Register Sign in to join the conversation