Miscellaneous Rumbles

Anybody sell on REVERB

I'm thinking it's better than ebay paypal

Still has to be some gotcha's

Buy on ebay and Reverb. Sell privately among other musicians and collectors.

Too often "Buyer Protection Programs" screw the seller because people figured out years ago how to work the system

They take 3% compared to ebay 10%. Still things seem to move faster on ebay. But the site as it is, seems to work pretty well. Sometimes there are interesting articles also.

Yes, I've sold on both, but it's been a while.

The fees are cheaper on reverb, but obviously the 'bay has a much wider customer base.

The worst part about selling, on either, is when a buyer "decides" he/she is not happy, and you go through the "return" nonsense.

Other than that, no real "gotchas" from my experience.

Addendum: When things don't sell quickly, reverb has a habit of sending you emails/notices giving you "tips" as to how you aren't marketing correctly, follow their advice.

...good luck

I've sold a bunch of pedals on Reverb. Never had any problems.

I've had pretty good luck selling on reverb. Some things sat for months, others sold the first day. I recognize that a bad buyer could sour things pretty quickly, but it's kind of a risk you have to take with any platform.

I've had pretty good luck selling on reverb. Some things sat for months, others sold the first day. I recognize that a bad buyer could sour things pretty quickly, but it's kind of a risk you have to take with any platform.

– Otter

^ Exactly.

I've only bought on Reverb, never sold, but MOST of my experiences have been good. They don't manage problems very well, and their protocols don't hold up well to a**holes. When I've had issues, they were pleasant to talk with but did absolutely nothing.

I've sold 2 guitars on Reverb this past year. I prefer it over ebay. A lot easier to navigate with more options and cheaper fees. And doesn't ebay have something like a 90 day return policy?

I sell things on reverb all the time but they are irritating as hell bugging you about details. One deal I made w a guy was that if I bought his keyboard, I wanted to pick it up instead of shipping it. So I clicked purchase and used paypal, later that night I drove to san diego to pick it up. I text the guy that I'm at his house and he tells me that payment didnt go through the reverb cart and paypal sends him a note that a suspicious purchase was made. He doesnt want to open the door for me.. So I assure him I'm not some serial killer and ask him if I can cancel the reverb transaction and transfer funds directly to him from my paypal account to his. He agrees. Ten minutes later he opens the door and lets me in, we chat, play the SV1 and I take it with me. Then the crap begins from reverb, to ME the buyer!! Telling me I have a keyboard in the cart I need to pay for with another form of payment. I tell them I paid for it already, the buyer delivered it too.. it goes on and on man.. Its too long to type out but over many emails, it heats up to the supervisor telling me I am in violation of reverb policy blah blah, and I prove to them that they are wrong and they go away. The end of the story is that they are a freakin mafia that wants their cut and if they could come kill you for it they would.

I sell things on reverb all the time but they are irritating as hell bugging you about details. One deal I made w a guy was that if I bought his keyboard, I wanted to pick it up instead of shipping it. So I clicked purchase and used paypal, later that night I drove to san diego to pick it up. I text the guy that I'm at his house and he tells me that payment didnt go through the reverb cart and paypal sends him a note that a suspicious purchase was made. He doesnt want to open the door for me.. So I assure him I'm not some serial killer and ask him if I can cancel the reverb transaction and transfer funds directly to him from my paypal account to his. He agrees. Ten minutes later he opens the door and lets me in, we chat, play the SV1 and I take it with me. Then the crap begins from reverb, to ME the buyer!! Telling me I have a keyboard in the cart I need to pay for with another form of payment. I tell them I paid for it already, the buyer delivered it too.. it goes on and on man.. Its too long to type out but over many emails, it heats up to the supervisor telling me I am in violation of reverb policy blah blah, and I prove to them that they are wrong and they go away. The end of the story is that they are a freakin mafia that wants their cut and if they could come kill you for it they would.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

That's what happens when you are beginning to buy keyboards.

I've been on Reverb for some time now, and up until the last year, I had no problems. There's a thread on here about the worst of the two bad experiences I've had. Granted, it's not REALLY their fault, but, they pretty much just dropped the ball and left me hanging while the buyer went ahead and filed a chargeback, got his money, and kept the guitar. It wasn't until I got a lawyer involved that things started rolling. It was a kid, and his parents wound up calling Reverb after the panic over having a lawyer after their precious child. In the end, the parents kind of hung themselves and child by calling Reverb. The kid wound up getting kicked off of the site and Reverb promised me a refund of fees. It wasn't until today that I finally got my fees refunded. I have been badgering them about it since January. What a waste of time and $ on their part, with all of the lip, er email service, and taking so long to just give me the refund.

The latest problem was a guy complaining about a ding on the headstock of a used guitar. Within hours of him receiving it and asking for a refund, he also had it listed for $700 more than he paid. Not only that, but the guy's listing used my photos and he was bragging about its amazing condition. The ding was visible in my photos, but they still sided with him. Thankfully, it pretty much ended there. They said he decided to keep it, but I don't know. Maybe that was their way of giving us both the runaround? I think the site is starting to attract some trolls, or maybe selling online is just getting worse. In the end, I am sticking with my listings there because it is free to list, but I am going to be a little more vigilant in my attempts to screen potential buyers.

I've bought more than I've sold on Reverb. But no real problems. Sometimes buyers cancelling rather than paying after I accepted their offer. I like that competition to eBay is benefitting the customer with lower fees.

I've sold pedals before, but I just sold my first guitar on Reverb in the past week. Buyer got it today. Hopefully he's happy.

Reverb is a side business of Chicago Music Exchange. Last I knew, the offices were upstairs at the store. I've had really good luck wit them. I even sold some stuff to Jeff Tweedy via Reverb and hand-delivered it to the Wilco Loft in Chicago.

Thie fees aren't bad, either,

I've bought and sold on Reverb for a couple of years now, with no major problems and less % paid when selling for sure than Ebay. I have had a few challenges with Staff at Reverb myself as someone else here mentioned. Reverb is the Brainchild of a young Investment Banker named David..... He/They also own "Chicago Music exchange", who is a Monster Seller (and buyer) on Reverb, so they double-triple dip apparently, must be a nice Gig......... In essence I've found them all to be fairly decent "20 somethings" who just think they know everything about Gear and come off slightly arrogant to a Person, but I guess someone could have said that about me when I was 25 too. I would venture a "guess" that in the entire company there's no one over the age of 40 working there.

That's what happens when you are beginning to buy keyboards.

– sascha

It was my 13yr old kids Christmas present. He taught himself how to play Chopin's fantasy impromptu and perform it on stage, winning a bet I never thought he would. Except that like a dummy I promised him a baby grand piano..which I cannot possibly afford or have no place for it. So.. I had the upright piano we do own, completely reconditioned and tuned for him and got him the Korg SV-1 stage piano. Its got a tube preamp and models only Fender Rhodes, Hammond B-3, 6 world standard pianos and some other analog sounds like Vox organ, clavi,Reed,Tine (stevie wonder), Click Tonewheel, etc.. Saw it one stage w Jack White and thats all this drummer kid needed.

I sell on Reverb all the time. They are light years better than eBay IMO. My experience with Reverb has been excellent.

Register Sign in to join the conversation