Miscellaneous Rumbles

Anybody gigging with gear that’s supposed to suck?

Any of you playing actual gigs using gear that is widely maligned in guitar forums as being "cheap", "for beginners", "crap", etc. with good results? Just wondering.

I get a lot of flak for my early ‘70s Gibson Grabber bass, but I love it.

Well there's a difference - there's perfectly OK gear that just isn't cool ....that is maligned -- lots of examples of that. As far as truly low end stuff that works -- it's gotten to the point that even low end stuff can be perfectly ok in It's more of in the eye of the beholder. Like a hi-end vintage snob might decide some Chinese guitar is 'junk' by comparison to his but still it works ok. I don't know... I hear Behringer amps are junk -- but may be they are on gigs right now.

I gigged an Epiphone Firebird Studio for awhile with full size Epi Humbuckers. It was great. The other guitar player at a pickup gig said,. Man...what did you DO to that thing? Just plugged it in, man... just plugged it in.

Ask Jack Pearson. Playing Squire Strats.
Here's a taste. Check his other work with Allman Brothers, etc.

Couldn’t care less about someone else’s opinion of what sucks. Downright laughable how guitar forum members buy into someone’s opinion as “fact” and base their own gear philosophies on what someone else has said as if they’re incapable of developing their own tastes.

I bought a Harley Benton Manhattan to scratch that Charlie Christian Itch. I really wanted something in that 40's early electric guitar flavour, and at least it looke the part. Although it only costs about 200€ I can't really say anything negative about that guitar, and actually recorded all electric parts on my bands album with it.

Solo starts at (2:12)

Behringer stuff is fine until it breaks down, which in my experience is 100% of the time.

Things change over time. 50 years ago Gibson basses were the hot lick, Fender way less so.

I gig with my Way Out West Americana, both acoustic and plugged in (it sports a Deltoluxe pickup). It may not be a J45, but it suits the tunes I use it for and is always a conversation starter.

One of the local boys in my little town toured with Lucinda Williams for awhile. He insists his sound absolutely depends on cheap equipment. His collection of old Kay, Harmony, and Kalamazoo guitars is impressive.

One of the local boys in my little town toured with Lucinda Williams for awhile. He insists his sound absolutely depends on cheap equipment. His collection of old Kay, Harmony, and Kalamazoo guitars is impressive.

– Viper

All of which got used back in the day only for so long as it took either to save up the bux for frontline stuff or lose interest in the garage-band biz. The differences then were that the American budget lines didn't look like pro gear, and imports were not only very few (and weird-looking), but had none of the anti-American chic that now so attracts the Woodstock Generation's grandchildren.

I've played more gigs with a Squier P Bass than with any of my nice guitars.

I gig with my Synchromatics and Electromatics, does that count?

Behringer stuff is fine until it breaks down, which in my experience is 100% of the time.

– Deke Martin

+1

That's the way the 30 watt Behringer modeling amp with 2 x 10" speakers I had for about a year and a half (from Aug. 2004 till early 2006) was for me - fine until it decided it wanted to cut out, and not switch channels. The reliability just wasn't there.

People have said the same thing about Bugeras (the "upscale" tube amps that were also made by Behringer), though some people have said that the Bugeras have gotten better.

I gig with my Synchromatics and Electromatics, does that count?

– Suprdave

Nothing wrong with the Synchros IMO. My first Gretsch was a Pre-FMIC Synchro Jet Club, that served me very well from 2002 till mid 2006, when I was seriously el-broko, due to mega bills incurred by taking a big cut wages caused by corporate downsizing, that forced me to sell off all of my pro-level gear that I had gigged with, in order to pay bills.

Ditto for the pre-FMIC thinline-style Synchro Sparkle Jet I had for a year. I only got rid of the Synchromatic guitars because I was gravitating towards larger sized hollow and semi-hollow guitars.

The better question is: have you ever heard someone with great gear who sucked?

Not once in my life have I heard a bad player and thought to blame their gear.

And vice is versa.

Have gigged for years now with an Airline Twin Tone. Swopped pups though, first P90s, then Gf Surf 90s. I'm evil

I often gig with a Danelectro but nobody would dare tell me it sucks.

I also used to gig with a Squier Jazzmaster.

Sounds good, looks good, is good.

10 watt amps are not supposed to keep up with a loud drummer.... My Vox ac10 is a little fricken monster, with its pc board mounted tubes.

Never gotten any grief about it, but this is a Squier Bronco bass with a Gretsch 2202 (TV Jones designed) pickup. Fun bass, light, and that pickup gives it a big sound. It now has black & white dice knobs on the pots.

When I bought my first Gretsch at the end of the 70s they were considered junk.

There’s a guy in town who plays his honky tonk gigs on a J. Mascis Squier Jazzmaster. And this is a guy who has proper vintage Gibson arch tops he uses on jazz and Western swing gigs. Smoking hot player, as good as you can find, playing on a guitar you can find used for $300. And when you think honky tonk, you don’t usually think about Dinosaur Jr. Always gives me a chuckle.

The better question is: have you ever heard someone with great gear who sucked?

Not once in my life have I heard a bad player and thought to blame their gear.

And vice is versa.

– Proteus

I was once judging tryouts for our high school's battle of the bands. A kid was playing a Gibson SG through a Vox AC30. It was almost the worst tone I've ever heard: sounded like static on an AM radio. All of us judges looked at each other like how is this possible? They didn't pass the audition.

I often gig with a Danelectro but nobody would dare tell me it sucks.

I also used to gig with a Squier Jazzmaster.

Sounds good, looks good, is good.

– Tsar Nicholas

I gigged with my Squire Jaguar. It played and sounded great. I sure do miss it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation