Miscellaneous Rumbles

Any Poco Fans In The SF Bay Area?

I just noticed yesterday that Richie Furay and his band are playing at Berkeley's Freight and Salvage Coffeehouse on November 14. He is going to play the entire Deliverin' album, along with other songs from Buffalo Springfield, Poco, and Souther-Hillman-Furay Band days.

I picked up a ticket for the performance, but wanted to alert others that he was playing there. It would be great to meet up with some other GDPers to see the show.

That should be a great show Bob. I got to meet and have a very nice chat with him several years back at Wildwood Springs Lodge.

He was there with Poco and it was very good time. Such a sweet guy and a strong performer. A living legend in my mind.

Have a blast.

off to Google for eadt coast dates

off to Google for eadt coast dates

– macphisto

Macp, I have seen videos on YouTube of Richie's band performing and they recreate the sound and feel of Poco very well. It would be a show worth seeing, I think.

Here is tour information for you ...

thanks! Maryland seems the most doable; it's, like, 4.5 hours away. the ticketing seems a tidge sketchy, though...you have to phone or e-mail rather than getting a reliable online confirmation. the PA gig is 6.5 hours away, but has a standard ticketing site; i also note with interest that Jim Messina is playing the same venue the next night, and can't resist wondering if something's afoot. Roslyn NY is also ~6.5 hours away, but is sold out 2 nights in any case. going to have to carefully tweeze my finances to see if it can work...i'm driving to NYC for Spiritualized next week which i'm really too broke for, but i refuse to be stopped LOL. and when--if ever--am i likely to hear Richie play otherwise without going to his church? it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. just call me Micro Mike Rowe.

Hey Bob --- the Freight and Salvage is a great venue. Much more of a club (with superb sound) than a coffeehouse.

I'm not much of a Poco/Furay fan, but if you'd like to meet up for dinner or a beer before the show, let me know.

i also note with interest that Jim Messina is playing the same venue the next night, and can't resist wondering if something's afoot. -- macphisto

Anything is possible, but I somehow doubt it. Jim hasn't played with Richie in a while, preferring to play with Rusty Young. In fact, I think that I saw that Jim actually has a date where he is playing with Rusty's version of Poco.

Hey Bob --- the Freight and Salvage is a great venue. Much more of a club (with superb sound) than a coffeehouse.

I'm not much of a Poco/Furay fan, but if you'd like to meet up for dinner or a beer before the show, let me know. -- Parabar

Thanks, Parabar. I'd love to see you. I will have to see how things pan out for me in terms of when I get down there, etc. I "splurged" and spent the additional $40 to do the meet and greet with Richie before the show, so I am not sure just when that will be occurring. I have never done that before, but I was such a huge fan of him and Poco, and the price was pretty minimal compared to other artists.

Let's stay in touch and see if we can work it out. I may stay over somewhere down there and, if so, we could even get together later in the evening, if you didn't have to get up early for work.

By the way, the venue does look pretty cool. Perfect size for Richie and his band.

Bob, Rusty was trying to get all the old Poco guys together for a 50th anniversary concert at Wildwood Lodge at the end of this month.

A two night series is "on", but it looks like Rusty is pretty much on his own. One too many past bridges burned for a reunion, especially when it comes to Paul.

I love Poco, but without Paul, someone else will have my seat. Too dang bad it came to this, as Paul and Rusty could create some real magic together. Guess that Rusty forgot the meaning of "together".

JD, I am sure that there are two sides to that situation. I do remember having read or heard something about that situation in an interview with Rusty and thought that it was all pretty silly.

There was most definitely a wonderful Poco before Paul Cotton. Listen to the first three albums. Perhaps more country flavored than the rock sound that Paul brought to the band. But, they still had those amazing harmonies. Frankly, the biggest gap in a newly re-formed Poco would not be the loss of Paul's guitar; rather, it would be the loss of George Grantham's high harmony vocal. His singing absolutely made the vocal sound of that band.

Bob, I liked Poco before Paul too. That said, Paul was there a long time and left a mark, so to speak, that's hard to replace or ignore.

As with most "scuffles", there is always two sides, and it's another crack in such a great band and great music.

Maybe that factors into the reason why Richie is playing the entire Deliverin' album -- because Paul had not yet arrived. I know that he is going to play some songs from the Paul era too, such as GFTK. But, I surmise there will be a heavy dose of the early Poco material.

I could have seen him locally a few months ago in a small venue but passed and have since kicked myself. Congrats. It should be a good show.

Bob, I posted and fat fingered during an edit and deleted the post.

Deliverin' is the album that got me hooked on Poco back in '71. I actually wore out two 8 tracks of it. Special stuff, and I'm betting that Reverend Richie will make this performance really shine.

Wish that I could go to this one and meet you.

JD, I did catch your earlier post before it got deleted. I am not quite sure just which song or album took me to Poco, but it may have been Bad Weather off From The Inside. Both that album and Deliverin' were released in 1971 and I remember listening to it in my dorm room during my sophomore year of college. Regardless of which came first, I do recall immediately liking Deliverin' and learning Jim's You Better Think Twice. I do hope that Richie's guitarist in his band captures that very twangy Tele sound of Messina during the performance.

I am very much looking forward to this show already. Yep, it'd be great to have you along, JD.

EDIT: By the way, JD, I hope that my earlier remarks about Paul Cotton were not misunderstood as being a slam against him. I always enjoyed his contributions to the band and, like you say, his longevity in Poco is second only to Rusty's. He's a full-fledged member, in my book.

No misunderstanding at all Bob. We're on the same page with these folks, all of them.

Like many bands, Poco evolved for numerous reasons, but always had some great music to offer.

After I got exposed to Delverin', I went backwards to check out earlier releases, and never missed another new release.

The first time that I was able to see Poco live was on their "Indian Summer" tour. They opened for America and literally brought the house down with their performance.

America did not equal them that night in any way, shape, or form.

High energy, talent, and tight performing was/is hard to beat.

Register Sign in to join the conversation