Miscellaneous Rumbles

Any Of You do Archery?

I started archery just last July so it hasn't even been a year yet but I am loving it and having a blast. I like recurve bows the best. Okay never tried a compound but I have a recurve and a long bow and recurve wins out.

So do you do archery? Tell us about it.

Yes, we have several compound and recurve bows, but it's been a while. I'm way out of practice.

...------

Once since Boy Scouts in the early '60s. We went to a Renaissance Fair thirty some years ago, and I managed to hit a few bull's eyes. I've only ever shot a longbow; never one of the ones with the cams and such.

As a teenager, my friends and I used to hunt varmints with fibreglass recurve bows and we were pretty good shots.

Now I have a question for everyone: do you place the arrow on the opposite side of the bow from the hand you draw the bow from or like me, from the same side. I draw the bow with my right hand and I always placed the arrow on the right side of the handle. I curled my fingers to the left to put pressure on the arrow to hug the handle as I drew it back. Convention has placing the arrow on the opposite side of the bow from the hand drawing the string and I for the life of me can't understand why this makes sense?? If I put the arrow on the left side as everyone else I'd ever seen did, it would simply swing to the left, pivoting from the nock in the arrow on the string. Anyone else ever shoot the way I did?

For me, opposite.

Addendum: Ivanka shoots opposite as well, and she's a "righty." I just saw a video.

...------

Yes, shooting recurve barebow in the garden with my 8 year old is fun! Windsordave, you HAVE TO shoot with the arrow on "opposite" side, just google archer's paradox to understand, slow mo videos will show the whole thing...

I still have the Bear "Little Bear" laminate recurve from when I was a wee bairn. I've concentrated so much on firearms that I have an old Hoyt Gamegetter that I inherited (guitars become vintage. Bows just get old.) that I've not even had out of its case in the 12 years that I've had It.

– Thomas

The very end of the video in the small window, he [too] quickly says that if you hold the arrow a certain way then you put the arrow on the right side......and he's right handed.

One of these days I'll get around to visiting a local archery shop I've driven past for years, and investigate the various bows. Not interested in the compound ones with the wheels and pulley system, just a nice recurve, and I'll shoot with the arrow on the right side too. Any compensation needed for the arrow's flight to keep it true, I'll deal with in choosing the correct arrow stiffness

I used to compete in compound target archery. I went to nationals in Louisville and the world shoot in Vegas. Really a lot of fun.

Hope to start flinging arrows again soon.

I've had a few compounds for years, but never more than a little back yard shooting once in a while. Just bought a good compound from a buddy to start training for deer season this fall. Have to go get it set up for me (ape length arms) but can't wait to get some time in. My 7 year old has a few bows already, and is always bugging me to go shooting.

As a teenager, my friends and I used to hunt varmints with fibreglass recurve bows and we were pretty good shots.

Now I have a question for everyone: do you place the arrow on the opposite side of the bow from the hand you draw the bow from or like me, from the same side. I draw the bow with my right hand and I always placed the arrow on the right side of the handle. I curled my fingers to the left to put pressure on the arrow to hug the handle as I drew it back. Convention has placing the arrow on the opposite side of the bow from the hand drawing the string and I for the life of me can't understand why this makes sense?? If I put the arrow on the left side as everyone else I'd ever seen did, it would simply swing to the left, pivoting from the nock in the arrow on the string. Anyone else ever shoot the way I did?

– Windsordave

Yes opposite side unless you are shooting Japanese style long bow.

See this in action -

Its been decades, so I went down and grabbed the remaining small longbow in the storeroom to be sure. It seems I go with my natural tendency to have the arrow on the outboard side- at least thats what seems to happen naturally. Also, I tend to tilt the bow a little inward at the top rather than keep it straight up and down. I`m draw right, btw, so the arrow is resting on the guard by my left hand.

Back in the day, I mustve been compensating on instinct of some sort: my scores were generally in the top ten and I managed to get mself banned from the local fairground a couple of times during the fall fair for winning too many stuffies!

Youve got my juices running a bit.. Maybe this years tax refund will be invested in a new recurve. Sold the last one about thirty years ago to buy something musical. Hmm...

Yes opposite side unless you are shooting Japanese style long bow.

See this in action -

– ThePolecats

Common sense at play.

We did archery with out Scout Troop 880, South Windsor, Connecticut way back in 1968. We ordered a Ben Pearson 45 lb Javelina recurve and a Cougar (we still have both) and used to practice with two straw bales in the back yard. Our scoutmaster was a hotshot archer and pretty proud of it until my Dad broke the nock off of Mr. B's bullseye arrow on his first shot.

Nice to see people here do or did archery. I am getting addicted to it. more fun than guns. Love it.

I want to go to the cliffs off of PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and get cheap arrows and add some clothe to the tips and gas, light on fire and fire into ocean. I can't possibly start a fire in the Pacific Ocean but the cops may notice and Ill be busted.

Hey why didn't I see this My name is Toxophilite for crying out loud!!! I love doing traditional archery and have been making my own one piece wooden bows for years. I have several on my wall. I've even built a few steam bent static recurves out of Osage, ash, and straight bows out of maple blk walnut blk locust etc etc. yes Windsor Dave the opposite side and with traditional archery with bows that aren't center shot you cant the upper limb to the righ t(if you are right handed), helps keep the arrow on the hand and helps aim a little too. On wooden bows you need arrows that are 'spined' to the weight of the bow so they can bend around the handle properly without flying off to either side or worse breaking and going into your arm I have to get back into it as I haven't gone shooting for a year or so. I like roaming in the woods off the main trails, shooting at stumps with flu flus...even named my cat Flu Flu...

Hears some of my home made gear. Osage recurve, arrows, quiver etc.

Here's my craziest Osage recurve pulled almost to full draw on my tillering stick. 50lbs draw weight at 28" Making bows is fascinating and sometimes a little nerve-wracking

Toxo, those are nice bows. I am indeed impressed. Great job.

Thanks I would humble suggest you stick to the bare bows, They have the feel and look of thousands of years of archery tradition. Also they're just as effective as the modern counterparts of the last 30 years. Cool stuff !

The Turkish bows I've seen on YouTube vids seem quite interesting in that they're compact while still having good power; and they're a pretty, uncomplicated recurve design.

I like those bows you've designed & built. Very, very pretty lines and the natural color of the wood on a classic design reminds me of the beautiful vintage Cris Craft cabin cruisers of the early/mid 20th century.

Thanks Dave! You know those Turkish flight bows take months to build!! laminating water buffalo horn ,wood, with sinew, animal glues etc. very tempermental beasts but amazingly fast and powerful Unstrung they almost make a complete circle in the oppposite direction they bend when strung up. Crazy stored energy!

The pictures don't show it as both the bows have aged some but that Osage orange wood when first cut is pretty well electric safety yellow and over the years darkens to eggplant purple. It's other name is bois d'arc or 'bow wood' Those two bows were split from the same log though the first one was built a couple years prior so it's a good bit darker.

Those looks great!

I've got the basic Bear compound bow. But it's fun! Grew up shooting in the Boy Scouts and just have always had one around. We'd build arrows too.

I love making arrows. MIne are wooden to match my bows. One thing I learned (If you go shooting in the woods) don't make them too fancy..(they break!) and or too 'natural' looking (I made some that were hand straightened bamboo shafts with tied on wild turkey feathers that took a long time to make) I think I lost 6 of them in the first half hour of roaming. They were perfectly camouflaged!

Register Sign in to join the conversation