Miscellaneous Rumbles

Amazon, CBD, Washington Post, and my son-in-law…

I don't find that he's mentioned in the article, but my son-in-law is interviewed in the video in his capacity as Lab Director at the facility WashPo used to test products bought as part of the investigation reported in the article.

https://www.washingtonpost....

That cannabis lab wouldn’t happen to be in your garage, would it?

Nevada has "high" standards for its Reefer Industry...a program called "Seed-to-Sale", with everything sold in NV being produced in NV.

They suspended a grower for a couple weeks recently who lost track of what they had planted, something short of a Cheech and Chong skit but a fopa none the less. I'm sure next Inspection they'll have the little ID stakes in the right "pot".

The bigger issue in the state is most all who did the Venture/Start-Up are trying to Sell/Cash-Out at the same time making for many simultaneous, cascading Change-of-Control issues with Interstate Corporations.

It's feeling less "homegrown"...which was Nevada's scheme...now seems to be part of a Wall Street consolidation and securitized ETF.

Another curious data point is how over-produced the industry, in general, is at the moment.

Statistics suggest there is 8-10x more inventory/supply than demand. Every producer max'ed out waiting for their "Opening Day" only to find out everyone else did, too.

All of the Cannabis stocks have had their "Tulip" crash.

Now, it's all about Branding with prices in freefall, and Billboards advertising ever-changing lower $/gram.

What was that line in the Rolling Stones song..."Shattered"?

Ah, yes..."Can't give it away on 7th Avenue"!

Speaks well to current market conditions...

The stretch of Hwy 20 between Bend and Sisters Oregon is flanked by farms, fields that stretch for acres and acres. Used to be Christmas tree farms. Really quite impressive.

No worries about CBD or any of its ilk here in Penceland. Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois have all legalized it, but it'll never happen in Indiana in our lifetimes. Oddest part of that is that hemp was a staple crop here since the Civil War for the rope industry. Now it's just corn and soybeans. If the Statehouse only knew how much tax money they could make from it...

While CBD has promise and in many ways is safer than opioids, the rush to legalize/normalize use is likely to have significant unforeseen consequences. We haven't applied anything we should have learned from the last 20 years experience with opioids. I was one of the doctors seduced by the supposed benefit / low risk of chronic opioids. This time I'm not so gullible. People with hidden agendas are driving the sudden acceptance of marijuana. It is not benign and can cause real problems.

The bigger problem that I see as stated above is that it is being "normalized" and younger not fully developed young brains are having at it. It can have profound negative effects on folks pre-disposed to mental illness. I often tell folks who state it is not harmful or addictive to sit in a Marijuana Anonymous 12 step meeting and listen to the horror stories from this supposed safe, natural herb. You may gain a different perspective.

You can ship dead bodies via FedEx, you might have to pay a HazMat fee but they never ask what's inside the box when you have a commercial account.

Yeah I know dead bodies are a bad example, why ship something you can leave in the woods...

No worries about CBD or any of its ilk here in Penceland. Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois have all legalized it, but it'll never happen in Indiana in our lifetimes. Oddest part of that is that hemp was a staple crop here since the Civil War for the rope industry. Now it's just corn and soybeans. If the Statehouse only knew how much tax money they could make from it...

– wabash slim

It hasn’t exactly been Reefer Madness in Canada.

You can ship dead bodies via FedEx, you might have to pay a HazMat fee but they never ask what's inside the box when you have a commercial account.

Yeah I know dead bodies are a bad example, why ship something you can leave in the woods...

– Curt Wilson

Good thing the FBI isn't in the habit of lurking around guitar forums, otherwise I think they might have some questions for you.

– wabash slim

There's a cool inverse relationship between fees and taxes per state depending on the radiation coming from the statehouse.

Around 475 nano meters, taxes are higher than fees and around 680 it's the inverse with taxes attenuated and fees on the consumer amplified.

Wow....Hey......Trippy............

Woah! Did you every look at your hand from the side when you bend your fingers? That is so weird!

Wait, what were we talking about?

– Curt Wilson

Unless your shipping destination is Meadowlands Stadium... I think they tend to ask what's inside the box at that point.

I read the Article from the OP again, and I'm wondering if Amazon is still policing their hemp products for CBD. They had quite a few slipping in two years ago, and I wonder if that's still the case.

not as much as on the Gretsch Pages LOL.

i don't dismiss the potential for negative effects from cannabis products, but the ludicrously overblown negativity above looks even sillier if you compare that to the effects of America's #1 drug, alcohol. most smokers i've known, myself included, don't drink or seldom do, so there's a case to be made for cannabis simply on grounds of harm reduction. but the forced-sobriety contingent won't be able to see that due to their obsession with a less harmful substance than the one they presumably use regularly. as someone said recently on Facebook, "five drunks start a fight; five stoners start a band."

I often tell folks who state it is not harmful or addictive to sit in a Marijuana Anonymous 12 step meeting and listen to the horror stories from this supposed safe, natural herb. You may gain a different perspective.

my perspective comes from accounts where pot users went to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting and were brutally mocked by the group. the phrase that stuck in my mind was a woman telling a "weed addict" "have you ever sucked c*ck for $20 to buy pot?"

not as much as on the Gretsch Pages LOL.

– macphisto

This is the experience for me, nothing seems to have changed.

If your not smoking it now, would you be smoking it if it was legal? It’s a non-event.

Hopefully it frees up some court time.

In the first few weeks you would smell weed in places you wouldn’t expect, like outside the front door to the office. Not so much after a month or so.

The expected revenues have never come in. They are about half of what they projected. Lots of speculative companies are merging and folding, there is so much excess production that some outdoor corporate farms are closing.

In the provinces where the governments really didn’t want to legalize it, the rollout was done so poorly that whatever profits could have been had were left in the consumers pockets, there was no product to be bought and no place to buy it. The Ontario government lost millions in the first year.

They figure legal weed has only taken about half of the market. In Vancouver, the illegal weed is better, cheaper, and people have a relationship with their dealers [“The Old Dope Peddler, doing well by doing good”].

Also people in Vancouver do opiates and die.

I remember an episode of the Simpsons where what starts off as an Apple like Weed Store freaks out the potheads [Otto], so they restyle it into a roomful of guys playing video games.

I’m not sure if it is more or less of a draw for young people.

In most provinces, not this one or Quebec, you are allowed to grow 2 or 3 plants for personal use, which turns out to be a whole shitload of pot. If I was going to get into it, that’s what I would do.

Every once in a while, and more often now, you hear some people wanting to legalize or at least decriminalize harder drugs, so that seems to be the real marijuana gateway.

Register Sign in to join the conversation