Miscellaneous Rumbles

Amazing What A Little Dedicated Exercise Will Do

I can tell you that me, being one who was in top shape (like most of us) when I was younger, but out of shape now, how bad it feels. I still play a set of tennis a week and bike and other things. I get more worn out playing a set than when I am lighter (makes sense). I am no sloth but I put on way too much weight. I don't know how many pounds I am but I know I probably could stand to lose maybe 50 to 100 pounds BUT I refuse to weigh myself.

So I finally decide to really do something about it. I have cut out sugar for two weeks. I need to cut the carbs too because carbs are essentially sugar in a different form.

I decide to ride my bike about an hour or hour and a half a few times a week and walk about an hour or two a couple times a week. Doesn't sound like much but so far I am on my second week. Even though I have not done too much or anything extensive I feel more energetic, sleep better, even noticed a t -shirt that once felt tight seems more roomy and more comfortable. Not bad for two weeks.

Reason I don't weigh myself because that is useless. I feel more encouraged when I start feeling different in a positive way rather than weigh myself. When I go back to XL from XXL shirts that is all the encouragement I need, no scales to tell me how much I lost. I graduated HS in 1985 at 150 LBS. I know because when I started to drive junior year the license had me down as 150. I can guess w/o weighing myself I am 250 now, give or take. I got to say, 180 I'd be good to go.

What sort of made me want to commit to this is because I was shopping for t-shirts and had to find XXL and the best looking ones and material to my liking. It was hard to get the selection I wanted. When I was an M or L, or even XL shopping for shirts was more about what design I wanted, not can I find something like barely suitable. I thought it seems I am shopping out of desperation rather than because I want something I like and can find. I find the pickings for smaller sizes is easier to find what you want.

It's only two weeks so I have long to go and to prove myself to myself. Difference between this time and before is I am dedicated and consistent so far. Also I am not pushing myself but trying to just be committed at an even pace without trying to push myself.

I may go on and of Keto. Maybe Keto three weeks and off two weeks and continue the cycle. When off Keto don't go crazy on carbs but eat them conservatively then off carbs and fruit few weeks.

Any of you have a similar experience?

Yeah but only via exercise. Since the pandemic broke I made a decision to exercise daily without changing much of my diet. Not eating any less but cut out all the unhealthy stuff. Treadmill, bike and rowing machine seven days a week and lost 35lbs. 10 to go but will continue the regiment because I just feel better, way more stamina with a lot less effort.

Treadmills have always been really boring but there's this Ifit thing app makes it really interesting and makes running 5 miles a night go by fast.

It’s something you’ve just got to keep on top of, and more power to you for taking it by the scruff of the neck.

I’m about 180lbs right now but I’m 6”2 so it’s not too bad, ideally I’d like to be around 175. Just started back marathon training for next year so I should get back there soon.

I'm 6 ft tall and got up to 222 lbs. I got an app to count my calories and be more "Aware" and I've lost 23 lbs. over three months. I do need to be more active though.

Congrats to you both.

I was 195 and then started walking 2-3 miles a day and am now 155. Eat a little less and walk .. that's all it took for me.

I put on a lot of weight over the past few years. Between quitting smoking, arthritis and COPD, it's unlikely that I'll lose much. Stopped drinking alcohol and sodas, and went down to only two cups of coffee a day, which has helped. I only eat two meals a day, and I don't snack too much. The issue is exercise. I can't walk too far without spending five minutes trying to catch my breath. I'd love to be able to walk the dog, go canoeing, or hitting the trails at the nearby state parks, but, that's not going to happen. Hell, I get winded jumping to conclusions. Such is life.

Colon cancer took 55 not-needed pounds off of me in about six months last year, and it has not returned... but exercise is sadly off the table as chemo has made just getting out of bed the most exercise I get thanks to the side-effects.

"Also I am not pushing myself but trying to just be committed at an even pace without trying to push myself." - ThePolecats

I've found that what you say here is the key for me. Since lockdown I have stopped eating and drinking added sugar and desserts with the exception of a birthday and even then mostly not. So far I only miss really good ice cream, my daughter's homemade chocolate chip cookies, apple pie and some chocolate. It's not even that bad though once I weaned myself off of it. I'm discovering the benefits of this discipline outweigh the instant pleasure. The only alcohol I have had to drink is the occasional sip of communion wine. I've had 3 Michelob Amber Bock bottles in my fridge for a year and a half! I'll most likely drink them eventually. I've even stopped drinking at bars I'm gigging at now that things have opened up. Once I started working mostly from home I have been making egg, broccoli, green pepper, jalapeno, green onion omelet with some mozzarella quesadillas for lunch almost every day. I add some mushrooms sometimes if they are fresh and add avocado mixed with salsa on top for an easy guacamole.

I have also gotten an exercise routine together that for a while I was doing 6 days a week but now am doing 5 days a week in the morning and taking off the weekends. I wanted to come up with something that I'll hopefully be able to sustain for the rest of my life God willing. I used to push myself, burn out and then stop. It's about the long game now.

• Stand up and touch toes in a good stretch for about 30 seconds.
  • 3 minute plank.
  • 3 sets of as many push-ups as I can do on a given day. I take a couple of minutes break between each set and stretch. Right now I'm averaging about 30 push-ups a set. When I started it was closer to 15 or 20.
  • Stand up and do neck rolls, arm rolls, twists, etc.
  • Pick up 8 lb. dumbbells in each hand and with arms at my side, lift up parallel to the floor for 25 reps.
  • Pick up 5 lb. dumbbells in each hand and do 33 squats.
  • 20 burpees (stand up, squat into a push-up, stand back up and jump, repeat). I heard that working your whole body at once is the best and most efficient way to get in shape. Burpees are hardcore.
  • Walk around block to cool down.
  • 33 leg lifts hanging on a door frame outside in our apartment. A pole would work great.

It's enough to challenge myself daily without pushing too hard. I feel way better, have more energy, clearer head, better moods overall and more stamina when playing drums for a 3 or 4 hour gig. I had a belly and now it's almost gone. When I went back into the office recently a few co-workers I haven't seen in person for a year and a half noticed I had lost weight. That felt great! I want to be a ripped old man like the guy in the YouTube videos.

Thanks for the input guys and I enjoy reading your advice and your success stories.

You guys are right it is important to stay on top of things because slacking off will wash my results away. A couple years ago I lost considerable weight and even people at work noticed. I was doing more Keto than working out. This time working out and no Keto. I will do some Keto soon too. Well when I lost weight a couple years ago the weight came back on and some because I went back to carbs and sugar. This time I plan on sticking to it.

Re: Curt's comment: "Treadmills have always been really boring but ......." I had totally agreed for many years. However................

I truly enjoy reading. The advent of e-readers (Kindle, etc.) makes reading easy while on a treadmill. For the last decade+ this has turned a VERY boring exercise into an enjoyable routine that keeps the weight down and helps maintain good health.

Sometimes getting a health scare gets the motivation going. It was easy to quit smoking ( with the help of Nicorette!) after a respiratory infection that kept me from getting enough breath lying down, and it was easy to lose weight after being told it was that or learn how to inject insulin. Lost 50 pounds, kept 40 of them off.

......You don't often see obese elderly people who smoke.

Sometimes getting a health scare gets the motivation going. It was easy to quit smoking ( with the help of Nicorette!) after a respiratory infection that kept me from getting enough breath lying down, and it was easy to lose weight after being told it was that or learn how to inject insulin. Lost 50 pounds, kept 40 of them off.

......You don't often see obese elderly people who smoke.

– DaveH

Great point. A good friend of my dad was about 6 foot 2 inches tall, about 350 pounds, Nebraska grain fed living in Southern California. Then years later he moved to Las Vegas and was about 65 years old and a chain smoker since age about 15. He had a bad case of diabetes and lost part of one foot and a few toes on the other. Could hardly walk. Think he had a walker by then. He quickly quit smoking and stopped the Vegas buffets except for on occasion. Lost significant weight but by then the damage was done. He died maybe 10 years later.

Great work Dave, you really care about your health and I think you changed early enough unlike my dad's friend.

A few years back I started walking every evening for usually about 4 miles. I was also watching what I was eating, but not drastically. I was amazed by how quickly I dropped weight. Then I had a real nasty muscle strain that got me off track, and by the time I got that sorted out, winter hit. And then with a kid getting older, our schedules are different and my former system just didn't work anymore. I got a treadmill recently, but have yet to figure out a time to set aside that will work for me. But I definitely need to get on it. I need to lose 25, and in a perfect world, I could do without 50.

A few years back I started walking every evening for usually about 4 miles. I was also watching what I was eating, but not drastically. I was amazed by how quickly I dropped weight. Then I had a real nasty muscle strain that got me off track, and by the time I got that sorted out, winter hit. And then with a kid getting older, our schedules are different and my former system just didn't work anymore. I got a treadmill recently, but have yet to figure out a time to set aside that will work for me. But I definitely need to get on it. I need to lose 25, and in a perfect world, I could do without 50.

– Afire

What you said about your experience with losing weight confirms that we need to be committed to this because any changes in our lives, good or bad can interfere with being on top of this which could cause us to stop losing weight and start putting on weight again. But like you said a muscle strain happened then other things and all went down hill. Life happens. This time I will try to not go off track if I can help it.

Good for you, Polecats, I'm proud of you! Taking charge of your health is the best possible thing you can do for yourself. Keep it up and you will be seeing those XL and L shirts in no time!

I resently lost a lot of weight doing pretty much the same thing as you are doing, Polecats. I was 257 lbs a year ago, and I I'm down to 205 lbs. I don't have a bathroom scale, so I only know how much I weigh when I go to the doctor (which I did two days ago). I cut out sweets, and many of the carbs like chips (crisps) and other carb based snacks. I usually reach for a carrot, a cellary stick, or a piece of fruit. My belt is four notches shorter now, and ready for one more notch. All the clothes I outgrew, Large and extra large shirts now fit, and the 44" waist blue jeans, and the XXL shirts are going to the Goodwill.

Good for you, Polecats, I'm proud of you! Taking charge of your health is the best possible thing you can do for yourself. Keep it up and you will be seeing those XL and L shirts in no time!

I resently lost a lot of weight doing pretty much the same thing as you are doing, Polecats. I was 257 lbs a year ago, and I I'm down to 205 lbs. I don't have a bathroom scale, so I only know how much I weigh when I go to the doctor (which I did two days ago). I cut out sweets, and many of the carbs like chips (crisps) and other carb based snacks. I usually reach for a carrot, a cellary stick, or a piece of fruit. My belt is four notches shorter now, and ready for one more notch. All the clothes I outgrew, Large and extra large shirts now fit, and the 44" waist blue jeans, and the XXL shirts are going to the Goodwill.

– Wade H

Thank you Wade. I am proud of you also. You really are doing well and it proves that commitment can yield great results.

I'm at a crossroads right now, I'm so deconditioned, after eight major surgeries in the past three and a half years, that I am only able to walk for five minutes without stopping to recover.

I had the Corona virus twice in the past year, and the second time (March 2021) gave me stage three COPD. I'm gasping for breath just walking around the house, and I have an O² consentrater and an O² bottle at home, and I'm waiting for a portable O² generator to become available.

I began pulmonary rehabilitation today, it's an eighteen week program (M, W, & F one hour each day) aimed at total body fitness. Strong muscles use less oxygen than deconditioned muscles, so it makes sense to strengthen the whole body. I was encouraged by my first visit, and I think they may be able to help me. It's a of a bit commitment, but I don't really have a choice, I can't imagine living the rest of my life getting more and more disabled. I'm going to give it my best efforts.

Register Sign in to join the conversation