Miscellaneous Rumbles

A proper Cadillac tailpiece!

How’s this to start your day. A dear friend in England sent this amazing tableau which I couldn’t wait to post here. At last, a Penguin with a proper Cadillac tailpiece.

Oops forgot...it’s a 1978 Coupe de Ville. 29,000 Miles (yes it’s true), with a 2013 Penguin.

The license plate is the English registration number for 1978.

I haven't seen that style of Illinois license plate since... my mom's old 1977 Ford Thunderbird! haha!

BDR 529---Bluesmobile.

In England, the registration number stays with the car forever. I'm surprised that they allowed the IL plate. That road yacht has to take up some serious space on B roads.

Thats awesome. 78' caddy--yeah man.

You’re right about the adventures of maneuvering on British Country lanes. The only modification he’s made is to change out the eight track player for a CD/iPod/Nav with Backup camera unit to enable parking that big ol' thang.

Parking that would be like docking the Queen Mary, travelling B and C roads a constant terror, and imagine navigating that thing in a traffic circle!

Deed, your friend has my respect, both for their taste and for their courage.

Driving that behemoth in England is the exact opposite of driving a Caterham Super 7 here.

Like - both car and guitar.

You’re right about the adventures of maneuvering on British Country lanes. The only modification he’s made is to change out the eight track player for a CD/iPod/Nav with Backup camera unit to enable parking that big ol' thang.

– Deed Eddy

Oh Deed , lets start a campaign to bring back eight track players ! - Ok we had that infuriating click when the track changed , listening to Duane . But from memory apart from that , the sound wasn't too bad ! - A bona fide aspect of the music playing culture , more than a museum piece of kit surely . " Lonely Boy , Lonely Guitar " seemed to pulsate in the car , in the most pleasing way !!

Dad had a big ol' stinkin' Lincon with an 8 track player; I used to borrow it whenever I visited home and loved listening to his C&W tapes, cranked. The sound was excellent. Yes, bring em' back!

8 tracks sounded good?

Never did, never will. Nostalgia has clouded your memory. Both 8 track and cassettes packed too many tracks in too small a space---8 tracks within 1/4". They were made to break---twisting the tape 4 times every time you played it thru reduced the life of the tape. At least cassettes were better in that regard. Still, with both there was the ever-present tape hiss and the limited high end. Even a top notch reel to reel tape has limitations. There's more than one reason that they're not made anymore.

The real advantage in tape playback was that it freed people from being stuck with whatever local radio they could tune in. FM was just starting to get popular about the same time that tapes were around. Compared to AM radio, the sound on tape was superior.

Register Sign in to join the conversation