Miscellaneous Rumbles

A Moment of Science: we’re all astronauts.

And we're never still.

(all numbers more or less)

Earth:
• rotates at 1,000 mph
• whilst whipping 'round the sun at 67,000 mph.

The entire Solar System:
• jogs at a brisk 43,000 mph roughly toward the constellation of Vega
• while pirouetting at 448,000 mph around the (supermassive black hole at the) center of yon Milky Way in a “galactic year” of 230 million years.

The Milky Way:
• goes 1.3 million mph, away from the source of the Cosmic Microwave Background, roughly in the direction of Leo and Virgo, and toward The Great Attractor.

So every one of us is hauling ass, and going around in dizzying circles. And we've never been in the same place twice. Or, given the speed, even once.

Just sayin'.

Better wear a seatbelt...

Good thing most of it is @ 1G

Eric Idle summed it up better than any scientist on earth, in less than three minutes... and made it fun too.

So, why does my commute take so long?

I love sci-fi stories,especially ones involving time travel. I came to the conclusion that even if you could travel back in time, you'd likely find yourself popped out in the middle of space somewhere where the future earth would be in the exact amount of time you jumped.

Have you been into my stash of cookies?

Thanks for the math. I've considered this many times but never dug as deep as your post. Very cool!

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...

Next time you're outside with tall trees nearby, lie down on the ground and consider that you are not looking up but looking out. Helps if the clouds are moving.

And speed of light is 186,000 miles per second.

And speed of light is 186,000 miles per second.

– ThePolecats

To be more precise--

186,282 miles, 698 yards, 2 feet, and 5 inches per second... Or 299,792,458 metres per second for our international friends.

Major Tom helps. John, did you say "cookies?"

With all due respect to the original, this version certainly beats it for "atmosphere".

With all due respect to the original, this version certainly beats it for "atmosphere".

– Kevin Frye

Totally agree

But ... but .... science isn't a THING anymore! They keep saying so on Fox News, so it must be true, right?

Science is cool. We don't gotta look at it and say "I Believe it" if I don't understand all of it. What we Can say is "I Accept it"!

Something else that's cool is if we were on the expanding "edge" of Space and was "looking back" behind us toward the other side, we would see.....I dunno. Turns out space is "allowed" to expand so rapidly that the difference between the two sides can exceed the speed of light cuz it's not something moving thru spacetime, but the movement and expansion of space itself.

But we already knew that didn't we! ALL of us! Common knowledge going back to the mid 60s!

Yup! Warp drive, baby cakes!

Fire up the quantum computer, engage the entanglement compiler, and Beam me up, uh, Scotty?

Oh yeah, and the cute play on words with Di-lithium crystals and Lithium deuteride solids. Neat stuff, Air Force officer Gene!

But ... but .... science isn't a THING anymore! They keep saying so on Fox News, so it must be true, right?

Right. And those who say so should relinquish: all forms of travel beyond their feet, boats, wooden wheels, and beasts of burden; electricity and everything that goes with it; any medicine developed since the Enlightenment; and any foods available out of season or perishable foods from more than a day’s horse ride away. They can eat only what they grow or kill themselves (without firearms), and live only in earthen, stone, or wood hovels.

Sorry gotta add this too. It seems relevant.

– Parabar

But when you consider how many disaster movies start with a politician or politicians ignoring the input or warning of a scientist or group of scientists, you just know that everything is going to be alright.

Right. And those who say so should relinquish: all forms of travel beyond their feet, boats, wooden wheels, and beasts of burden; electricity and everything that goes with it; any medicine developed since the Enlightenment; and any foods available out of season or perishable foods from more than a day’s horse ride away. They can eat only what they grow or kill themselves (without firearms), and live only in earthen, stone, or wood hovels.

– Proteus

Geat idea! That's even better'n living in Tiny Houses!

If everyone lived like that, folks wouldn't require such high wages!

Register Sign in to join the conversation