Miscellaneous Rumbles

A Johnny Mathis question. Any fans?

Johnny Mathis recorded the old Frankie Avalon song, Venus.

But he also recorded the similarly named song made famous by Shocking Blue, i.e., Venus. That;s the one that starts out:

A goddess on a mountain top Was burning like a silver flame The summit of beauty and love And Venus was her name

Does anyone know what album that was on?

Or am I imagining all of this?

The Frankie Avalon one was pretty easy to find (Album=Love is Blue, 1968, Columbia) - but you probably knew that already!

I'll keep looking for the other one - the Shocking Blue version was 1970, I think, so JM's cover would have to be after that.

Can't help you Don, but all that I can say is that I saw him once in concert.

One of the best, and very memorable "concerts" that I've been to.

What a voice.

Doggone it, tw, I saw this when I went back to my computer to take attendance and started laughing out loud!

His first Christmas album is one of my favorites - Allmusic has a BUNCH listed for him. I guess that's what sells...

Yeah I had to clean my monitor shortly after that. Too funny!

I’ve looked everywhere, Don, not finding the Shocking Blue Venus version by Johnny Mathis.

I think you were dreaming of Bananarama. ;)

I’ve looked everywhere, Don, not finding the Shocking Blue Venus version by Johnny Mathis.

I think you were dreaming of Bananarama. ;)

– Deed Eddy

Ha,ha.....After reading the first post, I had "She's got, yeah baby she's got it....." in my head!

That babe in Shocking Blue was pretty yummy-lookin’ too, as I recall.

Well, it does not appear that he did but I can distinctly remember hearing him sing it on the radio. Good version too.

Oh well, wish you all could share in my memory, invented tho' it may be.

My mother had dementia before she died. Luckily, it never got past the humorous stage and she was able to laugh with us. We were at a Chinese restaurant with her and we were talking to the waitress about her home back in China. She asked us if we had been there and Mom said that she had. I told her, "Mom, you haven't been to China?" She responded, "I haven't? But I had such a good time!"

Maybe she was having past life memories. It's been known to happen.

That babe in Shocking Blue was pretty yummy-lookin’ too, as I recall.

– tubwompus

Yes she was...

I'm having a VERY hard time imagining JM singing the Shocking Blue version.It must be April First somewhere......

Bastard! Now facebook keeps sending me ads for Johnny Mathis albums.

Random Observations

• Do I remember that Shocking Blue's singer Mariska didn't speak English, and was delivering the vocals phonetically? I still can't make out half the words in the second verse.

• Quite a time capsule of commercialized hip culture of the day: hair, clothing, stage set, pseudo-psychedelic backdrop.

• The guys all look like children. Girl looks older (though who knows), and smirks like a boy-o-phile.

• Guys have a hard time looking tough when the camera is on them, eh.

• Love the f-hole semi-hollow Longhorn. I don't know that I've seen one before. Now THERE's a quest to go on.

• Obviously they're lip-synching, and not terribly convincingly. Like, where's the Wurlitzer? The song is laden with hooks: the Whoish guitar fanfares and double-stop leads, the bassline, the chorus. But the Wurli part is foundational, and recurrent. The song is built on it. But do we even see a keyboard in the video? Shocking Blue's wiki page doesn't even contain the word "keyboard" or "piano." Another session guy, fundamental to the success of a record, lost to history. Geez.

• They don't come across as very shocking.

Wuddn’t this’n, wuzzit?

– tubwompus

This is currently my favorite album cover. I don't know if it beats out The Dickies' Stukas Over Disneyland, but it might.

Random Observations

• Do I remember that Shocking Blue's singer Mariska didn't speak English, and was delivering the vocals phonetically? I still can't make out half the words in the second verse.

• Quite a time capsule of commercialized hip culture of the day: hair, clothing, stage set, pseudo-psychedelic backdrop.

• The guys all look like children. Girl looks older (though who knows), and smirks like a boy-o-phile.

• Guys have a hard time looking tough when the camera is on them, eh.

• Love the f-hole semi-hollow Longhorn. I don't know that I've seen one before. Now THERE's a quest to go on.

• Obviously they're lip-synching, and not terribly convincingly. Like, where's the Wurlitzer? The song is laden with hooks: the Whoish guitar fanfares and double-stop leads, the bassline, the chorus. But the Wurli part is foundational, and recurrent. The song is built on it. But do we even see a keyboard in the video? Shocking Blue's wiki page doesn't even contain the word "keyboard" or "piano." Another session guy, fundamental to the success of a record, lost to history. Geez.

• They don't come across as very shocking.

– Proteus

It's a Coral longhorn

Of all places as a non-fan to see Johnny Mathis, I saw him as a walkup with nothing to do in the evening but go to the club at Cubi Point in the Phillippines when I was a sailor. He was appearing and was great and there was a crowd. Past that, never even thought of him again..That was around 1969...

On different note, that Mariska lady was yummy...

Mariska no impress me. She's neither Cher nor Grace Slick, despite trying to channel both.

The song was everything - or maybe we should say the recording was everything. The apparently-studio keyboard guy held it together. No wonder Shocking Blue ran out of electricity.

There...see...now see?......uh....

Some likes ‘em on the skinny side and that’s cool.

Other’ns of us...

No, she certainly wasn’t the singer on a par with the aforementioned others but I thought we was just talkin’ on more of a male-piggish level ova heeya, of which I’m a card-carrying memba.

Anyway.....killer invisible keyboard player.

What’s this thread s’posed to be about, again?

Register Sign in to join the conversation