Miscellaneous Rumbles

a good way to spell the act of using a microphone

Whenever I see micing or mic-ing, in my mind I'm hearing miceing, as in the fury little rodent. Recently I read mic'ing and heard it as it was intended. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was having the same experience. Not that there aren't larger issues to worry about.

Love the fact your post is about spelling, but you spelled microphone wrong in the title

I use mic'ing whenever I'm writing articles on the subject.

Can't understand why some use the letter 'k' when abbreviating since there's no 'k' in microphone.

Or indeed 'michrophone'

While I do slip up from time to time, I try (emphasis- try) to use "mic-d" or "mic'd" wherever I can, but sometimes that silly "k" slips in regardless. I will say that in a report sent to someone 'way above my paygrade, I once spelled it "microfone"... and heard the chuckles about that for the rest of the production.

I guess I'm as confused as everyone else.

During a lifetime of microphone placement, Ive never ever imagined that 'mike it' would ever be spelled otherwise. Anything to do with 'mice' is incomprehensible. Another thing that really annoys me is the roadies pin-code being endlessly broadcast over the P.A. testing, testing.. ' 1- 2-3-4.'

Love the fact your post is about spelling, but you spelled microphone wrong in the title

– Deke Martin

Ha! Wow, that's a doozy. Poking at the keyboard in poor light while in bed and not proofing before posting; serves me right. I'm just going to correct that right now, but for those that won't see it, I wrote 'michrophone'.

Mic-d and mic'd are past tense and 'mike it' implies future tense. What about the act of doing it? After digging around the internet I found that musician forums contain all of the typical spellings; micing, mic'ing, miking, etc., but in recording forums and engineering posts, the few that I skipped through, none of these spellings were used. It was always 'placing a mic' or 'placement of a mic,' etc.

Now even 'mic'ing' doesn't seem to sound right in my head. English is hard.

Using a mycrowfone when my'king Mike's guitar sounds marvelous.

Doesn't the long "i" in 'microphone' become a short "i" when shortened to 'mic'. In other words, doesn't 'mike' become 'mick' (as in Bic, pic, nic)? It's lazy-speak anyway. Why is 'mic' short for microphone and not for microscope, microbe, micrometer, microwave, etc.?

Doesn't the long "i" in 'microphone' become a short "i" when shortened to 'mic'. In other words, doesn't 'mike' become 'mick' (as in Bic, pic, nic)? It's lazy-speak anyway. Why is 'mic' short for microphone and not for microscope, microbe, micrometer, microwave, etc.?

– beatbyrd

It depends on what industry you are working in.

As a home player who can't sing, I have no use for a mic.

At work in the machine shop I use a mic all the time to measure parts.

At home brewing beer, I use a mic to count yeast cells before I pitch the yeast in the wort.

1. In some languages, C is soft (like an S sound) and K is hard.

2. Mice are animals, mikes are devices.

3. The English language makes no sense sometimes.

4. As Homer Simpson would say, "Micromaphone!"

5. Would you rather have to say "Transducer"?

6. Mick is a variant of he name Mike.

It depends on what industry you are working in.

As a home player who can't sing, I have no use for a mic.

At work in the machine shop I use a mic all the time to measure parts.

At home brewing beer, I use a mic to count yeast cells before I pitch the yeast in the wort.

– RcktBrewMan

I Cant sing either and it hasnt stopped me. LOL

I know, I know!; we can give it to an adminirstrator so they can invent an acronym. They love that, especially when they invent one that no one knows the meaning of. Where's George Carlin when we need him?

My middle name is Mike. Short for Michael. I guess it should be short for Mikeal?

Then there is the whole Mr Jagger thing... (Dean, that is).

I also have a measuring thingamajig which I call my "mic", but I've never used it to place my other mic(rophone)..

And now I have a headache. 2 mikes of Acetaminophen for me!

“Microphone”

Isn’t the word microphone?

“Two turn tables and a mike?”

Mike King.

The guy that invented the mike krafone.

You people should learn your history.

don't fact check this!

During a lifetime of microphone placement, Ive never ever imagined that 'mike it' would ever be spelled otherwise. Anything to do with 'mice' is incomprehensible. Another thing that really annoys me is the roadies pin-code being endlessly broadcast over the P.A. testing, testing.. ' 1- 2-3-4.'

– richie...

Reminded me of this at 2:50:

Doesn’t matter how to spell it. Mic, short for microphone, is a noun. Turning it into a verb is at best an idiom, a slang. The action, or verb would be using, placing, pointing a mic.

Besides, spelling (in English anyway) is stoopid. There are about 30 or 40 sounds in the English language and over 200 ways to spell them. In some languages (Finnish, I’m told), if you can pronounce it, you can spell it. That is not stoupid. It’s efficient and sensible.

Finnish is weird....almost Romanian.

Try Polish. Your tongue will explode if you don't have some Slavic blood in you.

Try polish. Your tongue will explode if you don't have some Slavic blood in you.

All polish bottles clearly advise against oral ingestion. I didn't know Slavs were immune to the tongue-twisted ravages of the poison.

I stick with Lemon Pledge spray.

Who does the micing for a stray cats concert?

Wouldn't the act of using a microphone be called speaking or singing?

Register Sign in to join the conversation