Miscellaneous Rumbles

A Bobby Dazzler!

Went metal detecting today and found a “real Bobby Dazzler” at an old Gold Rush town site.
The town burnt down in 1861, so I believe this to be at least that old. I believe it is made of gold. It’s pretty darn heavy for its size. Not sure what it was part of? Perhaps an ornate handle to something? Not sure where to take it the have it looked at? Had a friend look at it who is a gold prospector, and believes it to be made of gold. Pretty darn excited to actually find something!

You can see all the tool marks in it.

Great find. Very cool piece of history and made of gold.

I’m gonna go ahead and offer you $350 for it...

Let me call this buddy of mine who knows all about these...

Wow! Thanks guys and yes, if anyone has any ideas about it please chime in.

Oh, that’s mine. It’s a stanchion pin for the pivot harness in an old bit of carriage trap. It has to have fallen out when we had the stuff there for that Gold Rush Days festival a few years back. Worthless, really, but sentimental value - it’s from the remains of a rig that’s been in the family for generations.

Thanks so much for finding it! Of course I’ll pay shipping to get it here.

Cool find! Could be a gazillion things - stem from a goblet, part of a hair brush or mirror handle, part of a candle stick... Does it have any threading in either end?

Cool find! Could be a gazillion things - stem from a goblet, part of a hair brush or mirror handle, part of a candle stick... Does it have any threading in either end?

– JimmyR

The ends are not threaded. One end has a squared off bit, the other looks to have been soldered to something using Gold. It’s a solid piece, no hole running up through it.

That's super cool! I found a vial of diamonds one day, at a time when I was sorely in need of funds.

Hipbone, I used to be a metal detector guy, back in the 70's and 80's. Sadly, I never found a Bobby Dazzler. I did find a small metal toolbox, that was loaded with silver Nazi coins. It must have been some GI's, returned from WWII stash. The mystery intrigued me for years.

I found a whole quart jars worth of Minie Balls, several brass buttons and a belt buckle, from the woods around the Gettysburg Battlefield. I was living in Frederick Maryland at the time, and Gettysburg PA was very close.

That's an amazing find that you have, every detectors dream. Please keep us posted on what you find out about it!

Hipbone, I used to be a metal detector guy, back in the 70's and 80's. Sadly, I never found a Bobby Dazzler. I did find a small metal toolbox, that was loaded with silver Nazi coins. It must have been some GI's, returned from WWII stash. The mystery intrigued me for years.

I found a whole quart jars worth of Minie Balls, several brass buttons and a belt buckle, from the woods around the Gettysburg Battlefield. I was living in Frederick Maryland at the time, and Gettysburg PA was very close.

That's an amazing find that you have, every detectors dream. Please keep us posted on what you find out about it!

– Wade H

I’m thinking a metal tool box full of Silver Nazi coins would keep you motivated in your quest for treasure!

"a Bobby dazzler". Well there's an expression I've never, ever heard of in any context. It has to be before my time, and I go back quite a ways.

The thing about my find is it was in an area loaded with 170 year old trash: tin cans and the like. People back then didn’t put their trash out for the trash man on Tuesday. They just tossed it out the window!
Makes it difficult to find anything of value. Metal detector is constantly going off, you have to learn to discern good stuff from trash. Bullet casings are made of brass, which trick the hell out of me. They make me think I’ve found a coin or a Bobby Dazzler!

The metal detection gods were looking out for me!

I’m thinking a metal tool box full of Silver Nazi coins would keep you motivated in your quest for treasure!

– Hipbone

It certainly did, Hipbone, for a long time. I found that tool box full of silver Nazi coins, in about 1976. My dad was stationed at Ft Lewis Washington, and I built a Heathkit metal detector. It was rudimentary, but very functional, with a water proof detector coil. I found the very rusty box in our backyard, buried in the dirt floor of the shed. I was only 15 years old, and opening that box nearly stopped my heart. They were all fairly common coins, and not worth much more than the silver content at the time. But the contents weighed a bit over 2lbs. I eventually sold them to a coin dealer, about 15 years ago, when they were getting a bit more scarce, and the collector value increased substantially.

I was hooked on metal detection after that, and carried that thing on every family outing. I never found anything of significance, until we moved to Ft Detrick (Frederick) Maryland, and the Civil War battlefields were all around me. Ultimately, life got in the way, I served 10 years in the US Army. I still had my Heathkit detector when I was stationed in Belgium during the early 80's. I misplaced my detector after moving back from overseas, and never replaced it. Now that I'm retired, I'm getting the desire to get a modern detector, and see what I can dig up!

My wife and I have always appreciated the adventures in life. Metal detecting is new to us. We love seeking out new spots to explore! I hope you get back into it wade.

It was Devine intervention for certain! We pulled up to the site and I surveyed where I thought buildings would have been. I picked a flat spot by a big/ old pine tree. First hit was typical old tin can, seconded hit was this! About pissed myself!

My wife and I have always appreciated the adventures in life. Metal detecting is new to us. We love seeking out new spots to explore! I hope you get back into it wade.

– Hipbone

Your first real find was like mine, in that we were both very new to the hobby, when we found what others search a lifetime for. You know? This post is reigniting my gold fever, and I think that I'll be looking for a good metal detector right away. Life is too short to put off our dreams.

Gretsch 1861 unfinished bar bridge prototype!

Shh. I was trying to hide the truth.

Bobby Dazzler is a great expression - my Brit friends use it often. Apparently from Lancashire, it generally means something/someome really unusual or neat. Like if you got a vintage 6120 your friends might say "that's a real Bobby Dazzler!" Sort of surprised it's not come up here before, considering our large international contingent

Looks like a handle to a spoon or fork, late 18 th to mid 19th century.

In the '70s here in Australia there was a K-Tel "Greatest Hits" compilation album called Bobby Dazzler. My sister bought that one. I had "Ripper '76". The Ripper compilations had a photo of a young woman's backside with all the songs written in felt pen on her buttock, exposed by a rip in her denim shorts.

Here's the original Ripper cover - from the tasteful '75 era.

Register Sign in to join the conversation