Miscellaneous Rumbles

9-11-2001 Never Forget

I took another look at the picture ruger9 posted at the very top and was reminded that this picture is very similar to the picture of the US Marines raising the flag on Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima. Of all the pictures taken of that world conflict, it is the Mt. Suribachi image that has probably been displayed the most.

While I'm sure this has been observed by others before, I thought I'd bring it up. The two images bear a striking similarity. Seldom before, have any such images had such a tremendous impact on the American people.

The image of the flag raised on Mt. Suribachi was news for decades to follow, as we followed the entire lives of the individual Marines who raised the flag. Ira Hayes, a native American from the Gila River Pima Reservation in Arizona, was of particular interest to the American people.

I think that the image of the NYFD raising the flag of our nation, on Ground Zero will be the image that is recalled in this century, for decades to come. It is a profound reminder of the day that solidified our country for the first time since the bombing Pearl Harbor. It's a pity that it faded away so quickly, and people slipped back into their daily lives of petty (IMHO) political differences.

ADDENDUM : I believe that this has happened because the American people, as a whole, are not invested in our current military operations. Unlike previous wars, which drafted people from every class, we now have an all volunteer military. After the initial rush to arms after 9/11, the majority of the burden now rides on the backs of the lower and lower middle classes. These are the segments of our population that cannot afford the ever rising costs of a college education. Many of these young people are using the military as a vehicle for higher education, and some pay the ultimate price.

There is a video of the guy who trained some of the hijackers at the piloting school in Florida. He claims these guys could barely navigate a crop duster. Some of these hijackers also were reported to have frequented strip clubs near the flight school and had a penchant for cocaine use. I have a hard time believing that an ill man in a cave in the days before good WiFi could have any kind of way to mastermind an attack of this proportion. Rumsfeld announcing on TV on 9/10 that 3 TRILLION dollars were unaccounted for at the Pentagon... NYFD and civilians reporting explosions at the ground level/ lobby of WTC....

– Troy6120

The Alex Jones perspective on 9/11 is probably not the one you want to adopt.

These wild conspiracy theories are offensive to read on a forum like the Gretsch Pages. I don't come here to listen to Alex Jones propaganda. Crap like this is what is dividing our country.

And yes I will never forget 9/11.

For any students of this tragedy I would recommend the book "The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and The Road to 9/11" written by Lawrence Wright. He won a Pulitzer Prize for this book. It's an exceptional history and shows where the seeds of hatred towards the west were planted in the 40s and galvanized during the Six Day War.

it's a historical book but reads like a novel, I could not put it down.
Sadly, Hulu made a movie series they claim was based on the book but sadly it's nothing more than a fictional shoot em up.

Anyhow, it's a great read for those who have an interest in the historical context. And you learn exactly how Osama Bin Laden planned the attack, in fact you learn his entire history.

Calling a conspiracy theory a conspiracy theory is a sane response to a conspiracy theory. When someone says the Earth is flat we don't respect their viewpoint, we point out how utterly false their claim is.

For that matter when someone claims their race is superior to another rational people don't embrace the "diversity of views", we don't agree to disagree, we call racism.

There is no need to coddle whacked out nonsense and 9/11 conspiracy theories and I think the Gretsch Pages is probably not the best forum to promote or engage demonstrably false, political nonsense.

And calling a 9/11 conspiracy theory a conspiracy theory is a sign of sanity. The notion 9/11 was an inside job is as offensive to reality as it is offensive to the victims of 9/11.

And I'll decline the offer to have an open mind to demonstrably stupid and offensive ideas. I'm a grown man who is capable of thinking and discerning.

The Alex Jones forum is probably a better place for claims of 9/11 being an inside job is my point.

As a career firefighter and paramedic, it enrages me that every time we try to pay respect to thousands of innocent Americans, the "inside job" conspiracy theorists have to turn it into exactly what is happening here.

Ok. I’m a Paramedic, also. But that has nothing to do with anything. I was out of line in posting what I posted and where I posted it. I apologize to whoever may have gotten offended. I do mourn the lives of those that were lost. Don’t get me wrong on that, please.

Nothing to do with anything? Before that day, I had never given a moment's thought to Fire or EMS. But I was inspired by the selflessness of so many. So i enrolled in school the very next semester. I have 15 years on the job. There were many like me in my classes. And many more in all branches of service. I'm glad we can agree to pay our respects and not make it political or divisive. Thank you!

Hey guys, it would be REALLY nice if we could keep this a MEMORIAL, instead of talking about conspiracy theories. All due respect.

Wade: good catch on the 2 pics being similar. I don't have a picture of Pearl Harbor in my mind... I have the brief footage of a battleship smoking (was that the Arizona I wonder?) that they show whenever they play FDR's "live in infamy" speech.

I'd say the Mt. Surabachi pic and the sailor kissing the girl in NYC are probably the 2 most remembered of WWII.

The title of this thread should now be changed to “Post your paranoid delusions here”.

Register Sign in to join the conversation