Miscellaneous Rumbles

9-11-2001 Never Forget

17 years ago. There are people who will be adults soon who weren't even born with this happened. It's just a history lesson to them. But it needs to be remembered: for those who we lost, for those who lost loved ones, and as a time when the entire country came together... something we have not seen for a very long time, sadly.

IMO that was the LAST time the United States was united.

Although GDP web software doesn't know it, 9/11 is my birthday. I was working in Old Town Alexandria when the Pentagon was hit -- smoke went by my office window. It's still "Let's Roll" with me.

Even @ my antique age -- there will be some more guitar mayhem and things to show off, including one hi-$ special build (an electric 12 with a 2" WIDE neck like the old Gibson B-25- and B45 12 strings)

But back to the subject @ hand -- 9./11 never forget.

It was the last time I remember this country, overall, being united. It was a sad but good moment for unity.

Blessings and prayers for those lost, and to their families.

...------

The date is sealed in my memory. I had the day off, and watched as the 2nd plane hit the WTC. Surreal, horrifying.

I've always been struck by the historic correlation of the 12th of September as well to the events of 9/11. It's an important date for us Poles in particular, and Europeans in general.

"We remember, in September, when the Winged Hussars came down." Vienna 1683.

Changed the world.

The date is sealed in my memory. I had the day off, and watched as the 2nd plane hit the WTC. Surreal, horrifying.

I've always been struck by the historic correlation of the 12th of September as well to the events of 9/11. It's an important date for us Poles in particular, and Europeans in general.

"We remember, in September, when the Winged Hussars came down." Vienna 1683.

– wabash slim

Not many people know that story.

And many think it was not coincidental.

Thanks for posting ruger. Yes, never forget.

I think we all remember what we were doing, when we heard the news, that The World Trade Center had been hit by an airplane. My thoughts and prayers to all that were lost, and their family and friends.

I was getting ready to leave for work, when my brother John called and told me to turn on the TV. I watched in horror as the second tower was hit. A short while later, the Pentagon was hit. I was so upset that I called in and took the day off, to follow what was happening. Our country was changed forever.

The world was changed. Airport security will never be the same.

i was home with Karolyn. She was recovering from surgery and we were glued to the T.V. all day. So sad.

Not many people know that story.

And many think it was not coincidental.

– ruger9

Things in the world might have been very, very different.

Many forget that there was a prior attack on the WTC in the early '90s as well. A truck bomb did a fair amount of damage to the lower parking garage.

We all know where we were when it happened. Never forget.

Things in the world might have been very, very different.

Many forget that there was a prior attack on the WTC in the early '90s as well. A truck bomb did a fair amount of damage to the lower parking garage.

– wabash slim

My father parked only a few spots away when he had an office down on Maiden Lane. Luckily, he was in midtown that morning of February 26.

I spent a lot of time today talking to family members of friends I lost on 9/11. Unfortunately there are many that dying from the aftermath.

"Unfortunately there are many that dying from the aftermath."

I have always wondered about that; but it seems to be something that isn't talked about or reported on. These people also need help, and need to be remembered.

I heard on TV yesterday that more people will die from the aftermath than died on that day because of asbestos and other toxins that can take 20 years to manifest.

I heard on TV yesterday that more people will die from the aftermath than died on that day because of asbestos and other toxins that can take 20 years to manifest.

– Baba Joe

My wife's uncle succumbed to cancer in 2011. He was a Captain in the FDNY, a first responder that also worked the site looking for survivors.

However, he also served 2 tours in Vietnam and was exposed to Agent Orange. His youngest daughter was actually born with a hole in her heart and widely associated with his exposure to it. No doctor could pinpoint the root cause because the type he had was consistent with both. Hey, maybe neither caused it.

But the fact remains that many men and women are dying from their exposure at the Ground Zero site.

Heartbreaking and still haunting for sure. There was a piece in the news yesterday I believe about the ‘The Dust Lady’ Marcy Borders passing in 2015 of stomach cancer which is believed to be from the dust/toxins that she was exposed to.

A friend's brother was a bagpiper with FDNY. Instead of one or two funerals a month, they were doing five or six a day. That took a toll as well. The PTSD numbers for the survivors has to be horrifying.

In those days, my wife and I got up at 6:00 AM (9:00 Eastern). The clock radio alarm was saying something strange that morning, telling listeners to turn on their televisions because nothing the radio guy could say would do justice to the images on the TV screens. He repeated several times that it looked as though a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center in New York. Telling listeners to turn on their TV is generally a firing offence in a radio station, so right away we knew this was something serious, and grabbed for the remote. It was, give or take, about 6:05 that morning, and while we were just beginning to absorb what we were seeing live, the second jet hit the Towers.

I'll never forget it.

Just before 7:00 the South Tower fell. No one seemed to be sure what was happening. Radio, TV, nothing but speculation at that point. In the midst of the heart-stopping drama unfolding live, one announcer managed to insert the first item I can recall about something happening at the Pentagon. That was when my brain began to shift from tragic accident to something more sinister. But at the time, all I was really capable of registering was shock..

Not much was done in either office that morning and into the afternoon. Boardroom TV's were all turned on and where staff simply could not stay in view of a screen, radios quietly kept us updated. "Unbelievable" was the word repeated most often that day.

Later, my parents, after viewing some of the many re-broadcasts, both agreed that this had a far greater impact than Pearl Harbour did on their generation, largely to the fact it played out live.

To our parents generation, Pearl Harbour was the indelible image. To ours, it is 9-11.

Let us hope there won't be a similar indelible image burned into the minds of the next generations.

"Later, my parents, after viewing some of the many re-broadcasts, both agreed that this had a far greater impact than Pearl Harbour did on their generation, largely to the fact it played out live."

I've never heard that perspective on it. Interesting.

Do any of you guys think controlled demolition was involved? I’ve got to admit that I’m a skeptic. I would rather not be, but studying the events of WTC 7 on that day is troubling. Not trying to start a fire here. I do regret the lives lost, as well as the losing of the last bit of innocence I felt our top government had. It all disturbs me still.

One of the things that really stood out to me in the days that followed was the absence of aircraft. Purdue has a flight school, and at times, there's a small airplane flying over campus every 90 seconds. The silence was unnerving. Even the birds weren't flying.

Much like when Pres. Kennedy was assassinated, the mood of the entire country was somber. In both incidents, people will never forget where they were when they heard the news. With 9/11, it was all live, and in color, as we watched it unfold in horror. I'd thought that the first one was an accident, like the B-25 that hit the Empire State Bldg. in 1945. Watching the second plane hit live was beyond belief. They hid that footage for over ten years. I just saw for the first time, two days ago, the only footage of the first plane hitting. I still can't comprehend the thought processes of the perpetrators of these incidents.

The conspiracy theorists had a field day after this. I don't see any reason that the gov't. would carry out actions like this on our own people. There was nothing to gain in it. There were similar rumors after Pearl Harbor as well. Pearl Harbor unified the country against obvious enemies. 9/11 had no such clear cut foes.

There is a video of the guy who trained some of the hijackers at the piloting school in Florida. He claims these guys could barely navigate a crop duster. Some of these hijackers also were reported to have frequented strip clubs near the flight school and had a penchant for cocaine use. I have a hard time believing that an ill man in a cave in the days before good WiFi could have any kind of way to mastermind an attack of this proportion. Rumsfeld announcing on TV on 9/10 that 3 TRILLION dollars were unaccounted for at the Pentagon... NYFD and civilians reporting explosions at the ground level/ lobby of WTC....

My wife was on a vacation in Mexico with a girl friend during the morning of 911.
All flights were grounded and she was stuck.
She ended up taking a taxi to the California/Mexico boarder and had to walk across the boarder. If I remember right she had to rent a car and drive home to the Bay Area.
It was a crazy time for me, not having her near and knowing she was stuck in a foreign country. While she was in Mexico she was told she would need her birth certificate to get back into the US. I tore our house apart looking for it and never found it. When asked at the boarder for her birth certificate she produced her drivers liscence. It was a nail bitter!
Patty is a natural redhead with green eyes, I think the agent took a look at her and let her pass.

We lived near an airport and the flightless skies were very strange.

I remember seeing the second plane hit live. Everything is different now. I wish my kids could have experienced life before 9/11/2001. My carefree youth ended that day. It shook me awake and got me serious again about Jesus Christ.

Register Sign in to join the conversation