Miscellaneous Rumbles

25 year milestone AA

I don't normally advertise my AA recovery anniversaries, but this one is considered to be a big one, and I'm very happy that I'm here today, sober. I'm not sure of the exact day, it was sometime in July of 1995, that I "put the plug in the jug" as we like to say. I wasn't in much of a mood to take notice of the actual day. But here we are, 25 years later, still sober.

It was August 2nd, of 1995 that I reported to an outpatient recovery program, and I have taken today's date as my AA birthday. I was a bourbon whiskey drinker, and I had developed really big monkey on my back. I took the tools that I learned in the 12 weeks of rehab, and I continued my recovery in AA.

It is by the grace of God, and the miracle of Alcoholics Anonymous, that I ultimately survived my addiction to alcohol, and I've been here on the GDP able to enjoy the past three years with you all. I would almost certainly not have been here had I kept drinking, since alcoholism is a deadly disease.

I'm very grateful for the time that sobriety has given me, and I try to do my best with that time. Today I have an amazing wife, and we own our own home and both new vehicles free and clear. I have almost every guitar and amplifier that I want to own, I have solid relationships with my family and friends, and I (we) have an active church life.

Grateful is what I am today. I'm enjoying life much better than I did on that day, 25 years ago, when I reported to rehab. Thank you all for being a part my life, I'm very pleased to be enjoying it with all of you!

I don't normally advertise my AA recovery anniversaries, but this one is considered to be a big one, and I'm very happy that I'm here today, sober. I'm not sure of the exact day, it was sometime in July of 1995, that I "put the plug in the jug" as we like to say. I wasn't in much of a mood to take notice of the actual day. But here we are, 25 years later, still sober.

It was August 2nd, of 1995 that I reported to an outpatient recovery program, and I have taken today's date as my AA birthday. I was a bourbon whiskey drinker, and I had developed really big monkey on my back. I took the tools that I learned in the 12 weeks of rehab, and I continued my recovery in AA.

It is by the grace of God, and the miracle of Alcoholics Anonymous, that I ultimately survived my addiction to alcohol, and I've been here on the GDP able to enjoy the past three years with you all. I would almost certainly not have been here had I kept drinking, since alcoholism is a deadly disease.

I'm very grateful for the time that sobriety has given me, and I try to do my best with that time. Today I have an amazing wife, and we own our own home and both new vehicles free and clear. I have almost every guitar and amplifier that I want to own, I have solid relationships with my family and friends, and I (we) have an active church life.

Grateful is what I am today. I'm enjoying life much better than I did on that day, 25 years ago, when I reported to rehab. Thank you all for being a part my life, I'm very pleased to be enjoying it with all of you!

– Wade H

Congratulations on a very significant milestone.

Worth sharing!

I was a big beer guzzler type for nearly 25 years. Still had enough control to not let it interfere with work, or playing guitar. Back in the day when bands played 4 sets, if things were going well in the 4th set I would have one. After the gig of course, all bets were off tho.

Then in 1998, I decided "i'm done with this". There were a few reasons. But it was on one day, off the next, and haven't touched it since.

Congratulations. It is said that there are no big deals, but 25 years sober is a BIG deal!

Having watched friends and family struggle with this addiction, I have some idea what a significant achievement this is. Congratulations!

And congratulations on starting your second 25 years.

Congratulations, Wade!! Be proud of your accomplishment.

Have to agree with Timthom62 in wishing you all the best as you begin your next 25 years!

That is a significant milestone and congrats and salutations are in order, sir. Way to go!!!

Congrats! A quarter century is an awesome achievement!

That’s quite an accomplishment. Congratulations and all the best.

Best wishes. Blessings on yer head. I know what living with an alcoholic can do to a family. So, on behalf of myself and my son, and those who love you, Thank you, & Congratulations.

Congrats and continued best wishes.

Congratulations! You've earned it. It was far easier for me to quit drinking than it was to quit smoking.

Wade, you did what you had to do, and CONGRATS for that. I'm sure it was no easy feat, and now look how wonderful your life turned out! Here's to many more years of sobriety!

You do it one day at a time. This is a special day and congratulations. Myself , my brother and my dad are all friends of Bill. its a fantastic way of life. happy for you.

My wife and I are also good friends with Bill W.

That's huge! Congrats. I'm sure it isn't an easy path. I've heard it's one that never ends.

Congrats. Glad to hear your life is happy and full of love.

FoB as well. Congrats on 25, Wade!

Congratulations, man. That's awesome!

Congratulations Sir!

Congratulations to you, especially with the era we are all living through. It’s a great way of life

Well worth announcing and being proud of it, Wade!

Congrats, Wade. Hope you have been an inspiration to others.

That's huge! Congrats. I'm sure it isn't an easy path. I've heard it's one that never ends.

– Suprdave

That's so true for alcoholics and other types of drug addicts Dave. I got lucky. I immediately changed my "playmates, playthings, and playgrounds", and the longer I was sober, the less I thought about it. I had a particularly bad Rock Bottom, and it was always in my mind that "I'm an alcoholic, if I drink it's inevitable that bad things will happen". I still remind myself of that often. If I ever got/get the urge to take a drink, memories of steel bars, concrete floors, and rotten food stifles that urge pretty quickly. That being said, I always say as alcoholics, "the best we can hope for is a guarded remission".

Although I feel very confident that I won't drink today or even tomorrow, as an alcoholic I can't put too much trust in how the future will be. I absolutely cannot rest on my laurels, and become complacent. There are multitudes of bona-fide AA stories about people with over 20 years of sobriety relapsing hard. Alcoholism is odd in that during a relapse, alcoholics pick right back up where they left off. It's very common to even make up for lost time, and really foul things up.

Register Sign in to join the conversation