2020…What happened?

• Model Railways, Mr Toad,
  • Chevy rebuilt for the road,
  • Bob creates a reindeer log,
  • Deke transports three-hundred frogs,
  • Wabash beats the bug and then,
  • Daniel finds his voice again,
  • Farewell to the strangest year,
  • The new one? Quite the same, it's clear.

And doesn't Andy Partridge really, really look like Mr Toad...

Edit- laughing at my Markdown skillset fail!

i would prefer not to go into a ton of detail because this thread was not meant to be about me, but:

1. "bipolar" is a new diagnosis as of late December; i had been living with a diagnosis of depression for 25 years previous.

2. there's a big, big difference between saying to someone in a kind way "i'm concerned about how you're acting...do you need help?" and using someone's diagnosis as a counter-argument when one's position is challenged. that's what i mean by "weaponization." i.e. even if i'm stable for the next five years, somebody's going to fling it at me at some point.

If someone is bi-polar or any other mental illness if the disorder goes untreated they are acting out as who they actually are and it's the medication and therapy that treats the disorder?

i want to address this specifically, because a lot of people are unclear about the relationship between medication and personality. when someone is untreated, they're acting out, but it's not "as who they actually are": it's a part of their brain function that's quantifiably out of whack in medical terms. i am not my disorder; my disorder is a part of me, but it doesn't define me. the role of therapy and medication is to get the disorder under enough control that the patient can work to deal with the aspects that therapy and medication can't reach. antidepressants generally don't make people happy, they make it possible for you to function well enough to climb the mountain. as some of you who have met me know, in real life i'm a pussycat, albeit one with a loud, piercing voice. i don't like being that other guy. at all. i've been working on not being like that for 25 years. sometimes i don't do well. medical intervention can only do so much. a surgeon can fix a broken bone, but they can't rehabilitate the limb. does that make sense?

This thread was entirely peaceful until you changed its course. Nobody was flinging anything.

Mac is absolutely right, this thread should not be about him, nor should it be used as an opportunity to fling stones at a hornets' nest.

But I will say this; I for one think it takes an awful lot of guts to come on here and 'fess up to a couple of inherent mental disorders, one of which is a recent diagnosis. I'm no expert, but I don't think bipolarism changes one's character per se - not in a schizophrenic kind of way - but it is a hellishly debilitating condition that's bound to affect how one behaves. Let's not forget that it used to be called Manic-Depression - can anyone truly imagine what it must be like to feel so bulletproof you could take on the world one day and then the next sink into an oblivion of depression with no discernible end for no good reason? Couple that with the crap year we've all had and it looks a lot like a perfect storm to me.

Now we know there're things at play that could have been responsible for some recent distasteful behaviour can we not show a little compassion and stop poking the hornets' nest?

Exactly, Deke. Well said.

I understand the desire to put someone in their place when they have behaved badly. I suggest that we see it from another angle.

My cousin spent most of her adult life institutionalized with extreme schizophrenia, bipolar and quite a few other diagnoses. No one in this world has behaved worse toward me, my parents and her caregivers than she did, but when considering her situation and condition, I had to conclude that I couldn’t blame her for her behavior. I could only blame the disease. There was no arguing with her that her hallucinations were in her head. I knew her from when she was born and that little girl was in the same body has this violent mad woman. I couldn’t get angry. I could only be sad and caring. I tell myself “How terrible it must be to be that person. How would I feel if similarly afflicted?” Empathy quickly removes blame from the senecio.

Turns out that everyone is worthy of empathy, regardless of their behavior. That is a big claim, but ask yourself this. Can you blame a person for a terrible illness. Can you blame anyone for their condition. Everyone is as they are, as God, nature or chance has made them. You don’t have to like them but you don’t have to argue with them. You don’t have to assign blame. This just feeds the condition. It supplies the very sustenance to the disorder to further corrupt this poor soul.

I ask you this. What good can possibly come from arguing with a person’s condition?

Not at all, when you put it out there then it's out there. If I say I have 37 toes I would assume there would be questions that I would be happy to answer.

Miscellaneous Rumbles sucks as a category for a guitar forum and should be removed or deal with the results.

i wasn't bothered or insulted, Curt. i tried to give you as straight up an answer as i could. i think it's important for people to understand some of this stuff.

on the other hand, i don't want to be taken as arguing that someone's condition excuses unacceptable behavior. my sweetie's sister runs a small home care facility with two developmentally disabled clients; despite their relative lack of capacity they are still expected to keep their behavior under control.

i didn't even talk about it with any motive other than "OK, this was my year."

And I was just asking a question to be more informed, I'm good on my end.

believe me, it's hard to understand when you're the person with the condition LOL. i expect it's mind-boggling to folks who haven't been more or less forcibly exposed to 25 years of specialized information on a rather out-of-the-ordinary topic.

i wasn't bothered or insulted, Curt. i tried to give you as straight up an answer as i could. i think it's important for people to understand some of this stuff.

on the other hand, i don't want to be taken as arguing that someone's condition excuses unacceptable behavior. my sweetie's sister runs a small home care facility with two developmentally disabled clients; despite their relative lack of capacity they are still expected to keep their behavior under control.

i didn't even talk about it with any motive other than "OK, this was my year."

– macphisto

> on the other hand, i don't want to be taken as arguing that someone's condition excuses unacceptable behavior. my sweetie's sister runs a small home care facility with two developmentally disabled clients; despite their relative lack of capacity they are still expected to keep their behavior under control.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I'm not insensitive to persons with behavioral/mental challenges. I take care of them all the time at work, and with great compassion. A diagnosis isn't a permission slip for bad behavior, as Mac himself noted. So empathy doesn't mean we willingly accept abuse.

Three of the elders here, men I love and respect, encourage empathy and I'm 100% in support of that. We all have to be accountable for behaving in a manner consistent with the values of the community. Unfortunately, Miscellaneous Rumbles attracts all manner of shitposting.

Josh, I don't know any other single human being with a capacity for compassion such as yours, if my post came off as suggesting otherwise I apologise unreservedly.

And neither did I mean to suggest any kind of condition constitutes a get-out-off-jail-free card for anyone - we should all be accountable for what we say and do, irrespective of what may be construed as mitigating circumstances. I just wanted to point out there are many shades of grey between the stark black and white we think of as good and bad behaviour, and sometimes the root cause is not always someone just misbehaving, sometimes there are other things in play that skew the game a little and we would all benefit from being mindful of that.

My shitshow of a year actually began in May 2019, so 2020 was just a horrific continuation.

So much loss. So much damage done. So much pain, emptiness and loneliness.

As we go into 2021 it's clear that a lot of healing is needed for cherished institutions, for the economy, for the world at large, and most of all, for people.

There's been a lot of pain and loss over the past year. My fervent hope is that in 2021 we all get the healing we need. And deserve.

Bax, I’m very sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Thanks Deke, but I'm far from alone, and far from the hardest hit.

I'm not sure anyone's made it through this year whole, though. Even those who avoided sickness and financial ruin have still had a helluva year, and we're all going to be picking up the pieces for a long time.

I think we all need a bit of healing this year. So that's my prayer: that we get it.

We've all had a Sh**ty year.

The only thing special that happened for me this year was we survived.

Mental illness is horrible and the USA has thrown out caring since the Reagan admin. I have much sympathy for those that have to deal with their monsters on a daily basis.

As I always say, Much love to all of you.

I didn't even finish the stream, although I was very interested in the lil reindeer, mini- or otherwise Cooper, and reminiscences. THEN, it happened again. Please, for the love of all that is Holy, take your crap some other place. I love it here and want us to be the civil, fine place we once were. Having said that, I still am wondering what happened to 01/02/2021. I'd close with Happy New Year; but, even that may prove to be argumentative to some.

Are you the Crap Police? The airing of said crap resulted in a better understanding and will perhaps result in LESS conflict. All Crap Must Pass, and in this case it did. In a healthy manner.

2020 was indeed brutal. It started off decent. I took a relaxing trip to South Beach that cost me less than $200 with flights AND hostel. I was supposed to go to Haiti, but political unrest made it unsafe. In March we had a very cool NJ gathering that Crow set up, and the following week the world went to hell. My acting and music gigs, and the associated income - gone. My main revenue stream, going forward involved sitting in a small aluminum box with actively coughing COVID patients. So I had to not see my family for much of the year - unless outdoors, at a decent distance. I hope th vaccine is a turning point. We had to cancel the Haiti mission AGAIN, and I really feel for those people who have almost zero access to healthcare. I miss my job at Chicago Fire, and I miss gig with my band. But my family has remained healthy, and that's all I can really ask for. The second NJ Roundup was perfectly timed, and a much needed boost to get through the rest of 2020. My best wishes are with every one of you.

I still am wondering what happened to 01/02/2021.

Yeah, anybody care to explain that? I saw Proteus taking some kind of preemptory measures against some anticipated event, but it wasn't clear to me what that even was expected to be?

The event happened, but as the event was a sin of omission, as it were - an absence rather than a presence, there was nothing to miss. You missed an absence of presence.

Thanks to whatever-tech-tech, the GDP was down for over 24 hours. Since no one could post during that time, when the site came back up, the list of topics-updated-in-the-last-day was empty.

That seemed disorienting, so I found topics I had commented on in the last 48 hours (to get the last active day, see), and bumped them back into the last-24 list. If you missed all of this, you missed nothing. Because nothing is what transpired on the GDP on the 2nd (more or less...the outage spanned a midnight).

2020 was a good year for me. Got me some much needed tools for landscaping my property. The covid saved me from having to do the extended family get togethers. I had time to work on plans to more than double the size of my house. And now my daughter is in kindergarten and she's reading me bedtime stories.

January 2020 was bad for me health wise. Fortunately, the year got better with each passing month with the exception of Covid-19 which neither I nor my immediate family got. We had the same impacts like most people but got through it. The highlight for me was the March NJ get together. Couldn’t make the Fall one. Looking forward to a good 2021.

If you mean my new Mini, it’s not an old one so I shouldn’t have used the name Mini Cooper. It’s a 2019. It is superb.

– Bob Howard

This photo reminds be of one I took of my BMC ("B" before Bavarian) 59 Austin Healey 100-6, way back when.

Yup, like what was the fashion back in the late 60s, early 70s, I too posed the dear with the front wheels facing the camera.

My oops? Yupper, took the photo before I got new tyres!

Rats, before I could retake it, a 15 year old with a learners permit placed her Dads Ford Cortina five feet in front of the Healey while traveling 45 MPH.

.....thankfully, Cortina's were soft cars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation