Miscellaneous Rumbles

12 String Bigsby & Les Paul Tuning

My friendly local guitar store (The Guitar Works, in Evanston, IL) recently posted this picture of a beautiful Gretsch G5422-12 hollow body double-cut twelve string and it led me to a question I now share with the class.

If this wasn't a 12 string, I would absolutely want one with a Bigsby. So ... has anyone ever tried putting a Bigsby on a 12 string? And, if so, how horrible or how good were the results? My instinct is that it would be a colossal failure, much more work than it would be worth and a tuning nightmare, but I had to ask.

On a different, but still 12 string related, subject, years ago a friend gave me a wonderful 12 string tuning suggestion for the two B and two high E strings to help replicate the multi-tracked Les Paul harmony sound. I used it on a recording and it worked beautifully. Sadly, my friend is no longer with us and I don't remember the tuning. I wrote it down, but it hasn't floated to the top of the pile so, again, I turn to the class.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Steve

Someone here built one, but I don't remember who. As I recall, it did work.

I’ve wondered if you could put two strings on each pin if you used extra-long pins.

I had only dared to dream of such a thing for my 5422-12, now I have something else to obsess over.

A few of the 1960s Eko/Vox guitars had trem arm on 12 string models.

A few of the 1960s Eko/Vox guitars had trem arm on 12 string models.

– DCBirdMan

I recall one or two of those in stock at Tucson's Chicago Store when I taught there. No. Just NO.

Mosrite made some years ago. Jim

– James Hopkins

I've seen a couple of Van Epps 7-strings with Bigsbys, but 12 sounds like a tuning nightmare. Only Glen Campbell in Beatle boots could make it work; the rest of us mere mortals can only dream.

I was contemplating the same idea for the 60s Hofner 12 string I was assembling, namely the 2 strings on each peg. I think if the nut and bridge are set up right it should work, though you probably need longer bigsby pegs. The Soviet Bulgarians thought it was a good idea.

I was contemplating the same idea for the 60s Hofner 12 string I was assembling, namely the 2 strings on each peg. I think if the nut and bridge are set up right it should work, though you probably need longer bigsby pegs. The Soviet Bulgarians thought it was a good idea.

Register Sign in to join the conversation