Miscellaneous Rumbles

.07 Gauge Guitar Strings !?!?!?

I just stumbled across this. It's crazy and, of course, I had to share with the class.

I don't think I'll be changing to .07 gauge strings anytime soon, but being able to bend up that many octaves really is pretty wild.

Steve

I saw this vid on YouTube. Not my cup of tea. I'm not a big blues bender, and frankly with all of the double picking I do, I prefer 011s, for some additional snap in the strings.

BTW, Billy Gibbons, and Brian May have both been known to string their guitars with 008s.

I first say 7s in 1970....Dan Armstrong brand. We called them 'spider webs'.

I understand the line of thought that says “why make it harder than it has to be?”. But I like the guitar to resist a little, and fight back. There’s no real good reason not to use 7’s tonally, I guess.

i've seen Gibbons credited with using .007s. IIRC so does Neil Young, which explains why he was able to rip the strings entirely off Old Black with one hand on SNL back in the Freedom era.

too light for the guitar setup. the bass strings in particular rattle like hell.

They were popular back in the 70's.Ernie Ball "Super Slinky's" I used them back then.Could bend the hi E string up over the top edge of the finger board,lol.

Super Slinkys are .009. you may be thinking of Extra Slinky.

07's have been around for 50 years!! i useta use'm on my dan armstrong plexi...i still have a pack of the original dan armstrong 07's...

billy gibbons uses 07's today...in fact dunlop makes them

cheers

Ok, with strings that small, you're getting in to banjo territory... heaven forbid.

Too light for my unsophisticated hands...

9's are a good practice gauge, but I start with 10's after that depending on the guitar, usually prefer something even heavier.

Super Slinkys are .009. you may be thinking of Extra Slinky.

– macphisto

Probly so,I did say it was the 70's.Now that you've mentioned it, maybe they werent even Ernie Balls,I just know they were .07's.I remember my friend Bert found them first,I put them on my Tele and become known as "treble without a cause"

i played .010s for decades, but recently switched to .009s for most applications. some guitars still get .010s, most notably the Jazzmaster whose PUs seem to need the heavier strings for good tone (different to Strat pickups) and the 22.5 Parts-O-Duo Sonic which just will not stay in tune with .009s. i don't notice a huge change in general tone from 10s to 9s, and my aging hands really appreciate the lighter gauge.

it's all in the touch...and lettin the guitar and amp do the muscle work

billy don't sound like no banjo!! haha

cheers

ps- couple of errors in vid tho...dunlop didnt invent 07's...and the only pickup fender used #43 wire in was the tele neck pup

Ok, with strings that small, you're getting in to banjo territory... heaven forbid.

– Tartan Phantom

Not only banjo, but sitar and sarod. Indian music relies heavily on bends and ornaments. The main melody string on a sitar runs straight down the middle of the fretboard, and is a light enough gauge of stainless steel that it can bend all the way to the edge of the fretboard.

I read somewhere that John McLaughlin, who has always been heavily inspired by Indian music, used .008 gauge strings to facilitate the swoops and bends of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's music. So far I've only gone as light as .009's, but then I don't do the kind of heavy bending that JM did.

he must have done with that remarkable acoustic he played in Shakti as well then.

mclaughlin used a scalloped fretboard with shakti...microtones!

cheers

My arthritic left hand fingers are asking me to give these a try on one of my solid body guitars. Don't know if they would work with an unpinned floating bridge.

Register Sign in to join the conversation