Other Players

ZZ Top Concert

Saw ZZ Top at Red Butte Gardens at the University of Utah last night. Outdoor venue, beautiful night with canyon coolness after a 95 degree day. Billy, Dusty, and Frank were in fine form. I couldn't afford to see them 40 years ago, but it was worth the wait. Almost a two hour set.

Widely known but seldom discussed among the amp obesssive is that he uses a Marshall JMP 1 rack unit into a Marshall Valvestate Pro 120/120 solid state power amp then to an isocab with a 1x12 Eminence Red Coat speaker in it to mic for the PA.

Easy to travel with but Billy makes it sound right.

They put on a great show. I've seen them before and would happily see them again. If you're interested in the inner-workings of the gear, check out this Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar.

Yeah, they're on my list to see. Congrats

They're always at the Sturgis Bike Week.

They put on a great show. I've seen them before and would happily see them again. If you're interested in the inner-workings of the gear, check out this Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar.

– Mark Nason

They had Elwood come out to play lap steel on a song (can't remember which song, maybe "Just Got Paid"). They did do a cover of "Foxy Lady" as a tribute to Jimi, and did a cover of "Sixteen Tons", because they had played it with Jeff Beck when they were over in England. Edit: Elwood played lap steel on a cover of Buck Owens' "Act Naturally".

I saw them a few years ago with Stray Cats, Pretenders, Gin Blossoms. Great show.

Register Sign in to join the conversation