Other Players

Who loves Mod music?

Since I was a pre-teen, I keep coming back to it. And there are so many more great artists beyond The Who and The Kinks and and Small Faces and The Jam and Blur. The Creation and The Action were uneven but amazing. The Lambrettas and The Prisoners should have been bigger. Really loving the work of Miles Kane of late.

Yep.

All rock n roll to me, though.

But it's a meaningful sub-genre. The mod/rocker thing was always pretty dumb. No reason for animus between to closely related trajectories of the same tradition.

Quite a few bands of the '90s Britpop era had some obvious Mod influences or at least the same influences the Mods had. I like(d) some of those bands a lot. As an example there's 'Gene'. They've had some really great songs. Here's a pic and vid. Anyone heard of them?

I always thought the mod vs. rocker animus was more about appearances than the actual music. "Shakin' All Over" is both regardless of delivery. Thanks for posting these clips as several were new to me. Now if someone could please explain how Northern Soul is different from Soul....

Back in the 80’s I had a Vespa and wore some snazzy clothes. I also listened to a lot of ska. “Mod” to me was more of a fashion statement than a musical genre.

Whatever it is, or was I like it.

I love mod fashions, both for men and women. Paul Weller is part owner of a shop/business called Modfather Clothing. I visited the store in Camden Market, right across from the location of the Clash's early rehearsal studio, Rehearsals Rehearsals. Beautiful stuff. Sta Prest trousers are awesome. Big geometric patterns and alternating stripes have always looked great. And my wife has the perfect build for mod minidresses and the like. Her sister as well. They are adorable in mod.

I tend to love the soul/R&B/Ska/rocksteady the original mods listened to more than the sixties mod (or revival mod) guitar bands, but there's some great stuff in there too.

I was totally into the Mod scene in the early 80's . My first band was a modish one playing early Who,Kinks and stuff like that but had a 1969 Triumph to ride around on ,so I guess I was actually a mocker ...

It's all good stuff,i'm a Mocker too!

Don't do the look though,too tidy ,i'm a slob,t-shirt and jeans for me. I've never felt comfortable in a suit.

Never pursued the Mod scene lifestyle personally, but one of my favorite albums of all time is "Quadrophenia" (not the soundtrack, although that's good too)

And from my favorite song on that album (not a "mod" song itself, but rather a snapshot of the original Mod lifestyle from Pete's perspective):

"My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Maybe a touch of seersucker with an open neck

I ride a G.S. scooter with my hair cut neat

I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet"

I’d love to have a 60’s Vespa! Hell I might even cut My beard and dust off my trench coat.

Never pursued the Mod scene lifestyle personally, but one of my favorite albums of all time is "Quadrophenia" (not the soundtrack, although that's good too)

And from my favorite song on that album (not a "mod" song itself, but rather a snapshot of the original Mod lifestyle from Pete's perspective):

"My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Maybe a touch of seersucker with an open neck

I ride a G.S. scooter with my hair cut neat

I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet"

– Tartan Phantom

Quadrophenia is one of my top ten desert island records.One of those albums all angsty teens should hear!

Big fan of that music, saw the modfather a few months back. Paul Weller puts on a great show.

Never been able to listen to any of the Who's rock operas. They remind me of everything by Andrew Lloyd Weber. One or two tracks stand out, but if you can't say what you gotta say in three minutes, you're taking too long.

Gabba gabba hey!

Graham Day was in the Prisoners. This is more recent work:

I love this band - The Len Price 3.

Dont forget the Jam

Another great newer band: The Movement

Yep! Big Who and Kinks fan and then in the 70s the Jam!

You bet! I still have my Kinks t-shirt from their 1980 US tour. It;s a little snug now, Oh, and the opening act was some band called "John Cougar and the Zone".

Register Sign in to join the conversation