Other Players

TSOL and Gretsch

Growing up in the 80s in OC, we were flush with great local bands like X, Social Distortion, The Vandals, etc. TSOL was among those to join that rarified air of legendary status. They just released a new album and this article has a picture of Ron Emory playing his Annie, which to me is a testament to the versatility of these guitars we love so much.

I know absolutely nothing about TSOL, but, if this video is representative of their body of work, then I'm down with them.

While I suppose that it could be categorized (if need be) as "punk", there is a very strong element of straight ahead rock in this song. I don't get the same sense that I do with listening to the music of the Ramones, etc., in this song. The anger, for lack of a better word, doesn't pervade it. It is also filled with tight, well-structured harmony vocals, and the production is anything but raw and primal, as the early punk material was.

Cool song.

Agreed! I'm waiting to hear the whole record. You summed up perfectly what the singer says in the article about going back to their early style. It was the brand of punk that predated the anger and noise setting in (much like X!). Glad you like.

TSOL playing at the Cuckoos Nest was always a gas! Crazy times back then, glad to have been there.

Ha ha! I remember a TSOL show at City Gardens, in Trenton, where the dude that drove us there kept heckling the band after every tune. He was merciless, and the band heard everything he was saying. As soon as the show was over, they jumped offstage and dragged him outside. Beat the snot out of him. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. They were touring the Revenge album at the time, but I saw the a few times before, and he had his Gretsch with him then.

This one blew me away when I saw them do it live.

Beneath The Shadows:

TSOL? Wow, a blast from the past. I remember MTV used to show this vid. I always loved the groove on this tune, but just never delved deeper into the band.

Ha ha! I remember a TSOL show at City Gardens, in Trenton, where the dude that drove us there kept heckling the band after every tune. He was merciless, and the band heard everything he was saying. As soon as the show was over, they jumped offstage and dragged him outside. Beat the snot out of him. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. They were touring the Revenge album at the time, but I saw the a few times before, and he had his Gretsch with him then.

– crowbone

TSOL on the Revenge album was almost a completely different band. Jack Grisham wasn't in the band; he'd left and his brother in law was singing. For a while, I think Ron Emory was the only original member in the band.

I saw them a few years ago in San Jose and they put on a hell of a show, with Jack back in the band. The stuff on Revenge era records is good, but it's pretty much not even the same band.

The new stuff sounds good.

I've seen them a couple times kind recently - ten years ago at the North Star in Philly and thee years ago at the Troc, both shows were fantastic! Ron Emory is an excellent player!

Ron badgered me for months to sell him my '58 Strat. I finally gave in, and 3 months later he was back on drugs and the Strat was in a pawn shop in Westminster. It's a good Strat, wherever it is...#29604. I had just gone back to college and I needed the money for a computer. I still have that computer, just for laughs.

I hadn't heard the songs posted, and really didn't know how versatile the band is.

Here's the tune I think when someone mentions TSOL.

Ron badgered me for months to sell him my '58 Strat. I finally gave in, and 3 months later he was back on drugs and the Strat was in a pawn shop in Westminster. It's a good Strat, wherever it is...#29604. I had just gone back to college and I needed the money for a computer. I still have that computer, just for laughs.

– Billy Zoom

I bet the pawn shop owner took him on that one too seeing he was probably showing signs of desperation for drug money.

Billy, yeah from " Dancing Tears In My Eyes", that's a sweet sounding Strat. You mentioned to me you recorded with that Strat on the song. Probably my fave X song.

Register Sign in to join the conversation