Other Players

Tribal Thunder!

I know there are lots of Dick Dale fans here. For good reason. And though I don't love stratocasters, he is one of a handful of players (like Holly and Hendrix) who make them sound amazing. With Dale, it must have something to do with the fact that he strings his with...like...23s or something. Steel cable ropes.

I particularly love this record because he weaves in even more Lebanese background. Dale was born in the US, but first became infatuated with music from listening to his uncle play as a child. Hence Misirlou, which is draws on a standard that is popular from Egypt to Turkey.

He's not in good health these days, and actually he stayed a Strat guy when the surf scene was more built around Jazzmasters and Jaguars. Also he's almost directly responsible for the Fender reverb unit and Showman amp Still he pioneered a style and remains unique.

Another part of his sound is that his strings are on upside down, just like Albert King's, probably makes for a more intense attack on the treble strings. Got to see him twice; the second time he had his little grandson up on stage playing a small drum kit and the kid could really wail. He also said he didn't like to surf anymore due to all the pollution in the water but was enjoying snowboarding. A great showman and musician.

And though I don't love stratocasters, he is one of a handful of players (like Holly and Hendrix) who make them sound amazing.

I love strats, and a lot of players that made/make them sound great. Sonny Curtis (you can hear him on a strat on Buddy Holly's "blue days, black nights", "Rock Around with Ollie Vee",...) Reggie Young, Johnny Guitar Watson, Ike Turner, Peewee Crayton, Otis Rush, Magic Sam, Buddy Guy, Roland janes, Jimmie Vaughan, SRV, Hank Marvin, Jimmy Wilsey, Eldon Shamblin, Pops Staples, Curtis Mayfield, René Hall, and a bunch I'm forgetting..

I love this album - it also features Prairie Prince (the Tubes) on drums.

Register Sign in to join the conversation