Other Players

This Was Not a Good Idea

No offence to any fans but to me good taste and MM don't end up in the same sentence very often.

IMO, it's a shame the injury that crushed his leg hadn't have crushed his head instead. What a A$$hole. The latest event in Texas just reinforces why there's no humor whatsoever to be had from what's tragically becoming almost a mass murder de jour, or month as it were in the US.

Marilyn Manson---what did you really expect? Being "edgy" for shock value.

Nothing funny about murder.

There sure isn't. There shouldn't be anything routine about anonymous mass murder either.

I doubt MM meant it as humor. Sick as his shtick is, he mounts a fairly cogent defense that he intends his intentionally ugly "art" to hold up a mirror to a society "he did not create."

You can pick apart the motives and the self-justification in all that. I'm pretty sure he pulls such stunts partially to be transgressive and for the self-promotional any-press-is-good-press buzz - but I still have to give his "artist's manifesto" some consideration.

If as a society we don't want performance artists pretending to fire semi-automatic weapons into a crowd at a public event, we should figure out how to discourage discontents and misanthropes with actual weapons from doing it for real.

Then MM would have nothing to reflect.

Too soon. And he is the nadir of good taste. Why give him more of the attention he so pathetically seeks?

Definition of nadir. 1 : the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the zenith and vertically downward from the observer. 2 : the lowest point.

Too soon. -- Deed Eddy

I know what you mean, but it will always be too soon.

Agreed, even if Las Vegas and yesterday had never happened, this is not a good thing to do.

He is absolutely desperate to appear confrontational and shocking. But the days of being able to shock ppl with such dross were long ago. My grandma would watch him with a smile.

Great satirical piece about this in the ONion

https://entertainment.theon...

"I knew who he was, but I was kind of busy and didn't really have time to chat," Schmidt said. "He just kept standing there staring at me, expecting me to react in some way."

Added Schmidt: "I tried to be nice and humor him a little. I said, 'Yesiree, that sure is some shocking satanic imagery, no doubt about it. “

Not defending MM, but maybe he was trying to make the point that we SHOULD be outraged by this issue - maybe more than we already are. Sure, we all know that mass shootings are tragic, but what are we doing to stop the next one? We just wait and get outraged again.

I know I am as frustrated as can be about this and am grateful I don't actually live in the US. Grateful that we don't have mass shootings where I live. I wonder why that is?

Too soon. And he is the nadir of good taste. Why give him more of the attention he so pathetically seeks?

Definition of nadir. 1 : the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the zenith and vertically downward from the observer. 2 : the lowest point.

– Deed Eddy

The problem is, I don't think it's the nadir. It's only the lowest point so far.

Yes, MM has made a career of further nadirizing nadirs of good taste.

But you know he's an uptight midwestern moralist under all that.

And there's nothing much he can do that's more tasteless than actually mowing down innocents with an automatic weapon.

Our reality has outstripped our art's ability either to parody it or to cast it into starker relief. You can't outshock the news.

It was an excellent idea. Not morally, of course. But everyone is talking about him today. We are. And everyone is spelling his name right.

Not defending MM, but maybe he was trying to make the point that we SHOULD be outraged by this issue - maybe more than we already are. Sure, we all know that mass shootings are tragic, but what are we doing to stop the next one? We just wait and get outraged again.

I know I am as frustrated as can be about this and am grateful I don't actually live in the US. Grateful that we don't have mass shootings where I live. I wonder why that is?

– JimmyR

Likely they treat the mentally ill better, where you live.

Ironic violence stopped being "artful" some time ago.

Hardly the issue involving guns of any kind, fake or real, to be upset about this week I think.

There sure isn't. There shouldn't be anything routine about anonymous mass murder either.

I doubt MM meant it as humor. Sick as his shtick is, he mounts a fairly cogent defense that he intends his intentionally ugly "art" to hold up a mirror to a society "he did not create."

You can pick apart the motives and the self-justification in all that. I'm pretty sure he pulls such stunts partially to be transgressive and for the self-promotional any-press-is-good-press buzz - but I still have to give his "artist's manifesto" some consideration.

If as a society we don't want performance artists pretending to fire semi-automatic weapons into a crowd at a public event, we should figure out how to discourage discontents and misanthropes with actual weapons from doing it for real.

Then MM would have nothing to reflect.

– Proteus

Right on, Tim.

It was an excellent idea. Not morally, of course. But everyone is talking about him today. We are. And everyone is spelling his name right.

– Strummerson

Just like the real shooters....

From now on, he will be just "Brian" to me.

Marilyn Manson? I'd forgotten about him.

And will again.

– Strummerson

I had a well-thought out reply all typed up, but instead decided not to give MM a second more of my energy, because he's not worth it.

I think I'd rather expend my energy being upset over the actual shootings, rather than a pop musician's social commentary on them.

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

EXACTLY.

The sad thing is that some people still buy tickets to see this clown.

Marilyn Manson? I'd forgotten about him.

And will again.

– Timthom62

My thoughts exactly!

Register Sign in to join the conversation