Other Players

The many guitars of Tom Petty

He had an enormous collection and it appears a lot of the worked for their keep. He did some acoustic playing, but electric guitar was it. He knew how to craft an electric guitar sound and use them to their best effect.

With Fender seems like he was a Strat guy early on, then moved over to Telecaster.

He put Ricks front and center when they weren't cool with just about anyone.

Gretsch for the Willburys...

Of course the gamut of Gibsons (maybe not Les Pauls as much) even a Vox Phantom.

Then when you thought it would be a Rick 12, he comes out with a Fender 12.

Always kept guitar geeks guessing.

For that Super Bowl he had a big backline of Vox Super Beatles... but apparently they were props, while he and Mike Campbell were really playing thru Princetons...

All the Band gear is in an LA Warehouse. During the show I watched several years ago, there were ~150 guitars.

There's a video somewhere of TP&THB on Saturday Night Live and Tom's playing a mid 50's Roundup to Runnin Down A Dream. Or Won't Back Down...always had choice guitars.

He had an enormous collection and it appears a lot of the worked for their keep. He did some acoustic playing, but electric guitar was it. He knew how to craft an electric guitar sound and use them to their best effect.

With Fender seems like he was a Strat guy early on, then moved over to Telecaster.

He put Ricks front and center when they weren't cool with just about anyone.

Gretsch for the Willburys...

Of course the gamut of Gibsons (maybe not Les Pauls as much) even a Vox Phantom.

Then when you thought it would be a Rick 12, he comes out with a Fender 12.

Always kept guitar geeks guessing.

For that Super Bowl he had a big backline of Vox Super Beatles... but apparently they were props, while he and Mike Campbell were really playing thru Princetons...

– DCBirdMan

Pretty hard to beat the sound of a Princeton.

I came up listening to most of the Ric revivalists in the '80s. I noticed that while his signature model is a 660/12, most of the recent photos that accompanied articles about his passing showed him with a 330 Rose Morris.

There's a video somewhere of TP&THB on Saturday Night Live and Tom's playing a mid 50's Roundup to Runnin Down A Dream. Or Won't Back Down...always had choice guitars.

– crowbone

Couldn't find the the whole songs from SNL episode, but did find a clip in this interview. Looks renecked with zero fret & thumb nails. You also get a glimps earlier in the interview, it's sitting up in a rack.

This is a relatively recent video that I believe was shot in a place where a part of Petty's or Cambell's collection is, looks like a practice space....

Link

I always dug that blonde 335 with the opposing mahogany neck he played. He also was playing a cool burgundy Tennessean during the Echo tour. I thought that was a solid body Guild on SNL. But ya, cool GRETSCH, I see now. So really, think it had a replacement neck? Crazy!

I came up listening to most of the Ric revivalists in the '80s. I noticed that while his signature model is a 660/12, most of the recent photos that accompanied articles about his passing showed him with a 330 Rose Morris.

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

He was the one who said his model had to have a wider neck.... for which, among many other things, we thank him.

Couldn't find the the whole songs from SNL episode, but did find a clip in this interview. Looks renecked with zero fret & thumb nails. You also get a glimps earlier in the interview, it's sitting up in a rack.

– Bryan K.

This is a terrific video; covers so much stuff. Could someone please identify the blonde Gretsch George is playing at the 6:36 mark. I don't believe Gretsch made a '50's reissue when they first came back into production, and this guitar looks like a vintage Electro II. Not a CC because it has the script style headstock dual logos.

This is a terrific video; covers so much stuff. Could someone please identify the blonde Gretsch George is playing at the 6:36 mark. I don't believe Gretsch made a '50's reissue when they first came back into production, and this guitar looks like a vintage Electro II. Not a CC because it has the script style headstock dual logos.

– Windsordave

This was not a reissue guitar. All of the guitars were borrowed from Norman's Rare Guitars, in Los Angeles, for the photo shoot. Presumably, the video shoot was around the same time as I believe it is the same guitar as in the photograph.

Here is one of the photos:

And another:

And another:

And another not-so-very-sharp one:

And a final one for perspective:

Register Sign in to join the conversation