Other Players

The guitar of Nick Drake.

I have no idea if anyone else here on this board likes the music of Nick Drake. I know I do since the moment I first heard it. Fascinating guitar work. Style, tuning etc. Haven't heard this from someone before and after. If you don't know his music I highly recommend to check it out. He only released 3 regular albums. His personal story is rather tragic, so maybe don't look it up if you're not into such stuff.

Anyway... yesterday I came across a related video and loved it. I think the young man did a great job and I'm happy to see Nick Drake is not forgotten. Just wanted to share this.

Nick is beginning to heard and appreciated these days, Brad Pitt did a documentary about him a while back.

Love Nick Drake. And this is one of the more worthwhile youtube clips on 'tone' I have seen. Precise and unpretentious. Thanks so much for sharing. Would love to hear this guy's own stuff.

I first heard Nick through the Volkswagen commercial using Pink Moon, and have since snapped up his few albums. Big fan here. Love the style he plays and the ones who are from that school.

Love Nick Drake! Cool "old strings" kind of thump and clunky guitar sound. He'd have been a Hilo' fan had he played a GRETSCH. I love his songs and records, but always hoped that they'd re-release them minus the string section.

So good to see his music is loved by good people.

Love the style he plays and the ones who are from that school.

Wanna share some names? IIRC, I came across Bert Jansch right after Nick Drake. Though I can't say I know all of his immense musical output I know I love his late solo work, especially the 2000 album 'Crimson Moon'.

Wanna share some names? IIRC, I came across Bert Jansch right after Nick Drake. Though I can't say I know all of his immense musical output I know I love his late solo work, especially the 2000 album 'Crimson Moon'.

– sascha

I mean the genre, not the guitar stylings, Moody Brit(esque) Folk-ish stuff...is that a genre?

Damien Rice, for example:

Alexi Murdoch is pretty good, too.

– sascha

To my utter shame I don't know Bert's music but he was a friend of my Dad and used to sleep on our sofa when he was in town, so I would have heard him a lot as a toddler.

I wasn't familiar with Nick Drake or his music. I found this article to be a sad, yet empathetic, view of a troubled man. I will look forward to listening to his music.

i discovered his music about 15 years ago... he's got a lot of great material.

Thanks for that link Ric, it was a fantastic read.

was just listening to pink moon album yesterday...long time massive nick drake fan..have all the books and bio vids...he was a shooting star...and a subtle one at that

his sound was that entry level small body guild all mahogany m-20 acoustic...very specific tone..heavy mids but warmed by the all mahog body...great for his light airy vocal style

he also used all kinds of alternate tunings...traditional and made up

eccentric, unique and spectacular

cheers

ps- alexi murdoch was closest to drake i've ever heard...his first lp -time without consequence- is a great listen!

cheers

Like Nick Drake — but in this genre I tended to listen more to John Martyn. Here's a young John Martyn:

and an older John Martyn. Solid Air was written for (or about) Nick Drake. Great bass playing by Danny Thompson on this.

Bert Jansch and John Renbourn were in a group called Pentagle in the '60's; very much influenced J. Page's acoustic music. Also check out John Renbourn's The Black Balloon or the Lady and the Unicorn for solo fingerstyle. Take a slight detour for English folk-rock via early Fairport Convention featuring Sandy Denny (who duetted with Plant on Zep4, Battle of Somethingmore) on vocals and Richard Thompson and Simon Nichol on guitar. Amazing guitar work and music.

nick drake was very familiar with uk trad folk scene..jansch, renbourn, graham..he knew and i think opened one of his very rare gigs for john martyn

the late renbourn..classic player

lady and the unicorn- brilliant...a perennial fave since its issue

cheers

ps- other young guys mining that uk folk scene at that time were paul simon and cat stevens!

page uses it till this day..as does the great richard thompson

"You like the Drake?" "I love the Drake. I'm looking forward to meeting the Drakette." - Jerry and Kramer, in "The Handicap Spot"

I've been a fan on Nick Drake for about 25 years Beautiful songs, amazing guitar playing , sublime singing. Jimmy Page and Nick Drake got me into alternate tunings. Much of my acoustic material is written using them.

ps- alexi murdoch was closest to drake i've ever heard...his first lp -time without consequence- is a great listen!

cheers

– neatone

This guy sounds like he is a BIG Nick Drake fan. Except for actually having a different voice he sings exactly like Nick Drake including his melodic choices.

Nick is up there on my play list and I really like all the artists mentioned in this thread; was a huge Pentangle fan during my teens.

Good spot on the video - interesting stuff.

There's a basic but good tab site here, which also lists various tunings for the songs. I didn't recognise the one in the video as being one used (or a capo'd variant), but some songs you can play with variations on a tuning.

A theme in most of the more extreme ones (BEBEBE, plus capo, often 4th fret) was that the fretting hand ended up doing very little, against open strings.

http://www.chrish.ndo.co.uk/

I think the book published a few years ago which was compiled by his sister clears up the guitar point a bit (as far as the 'where are they now?' question goes). In later years Nick was a recluse in the family home, and there are accounts of a couple of guitars being trashed as a result of angry outbursts.

If you're interested, there's no reason not to own all three albums.

Many of the string arrangements were done by Nick's university friend Robert Kirby - producers for the first album wanted a 'name' arranger, but Nick didn't like the results and quietly insisted that his friend's arrangement be recorded. I think 'Way to Blue' was the first of these.

A notable exception is 'River Man', which was scored by Harry Robinson, as RK couldn't capture the mood Nick wanted. John Cale appears on 'Northern Sky'.

There's a short film on Youtube called 'A Skin Too Few', by Jeroen Berkvens, which is well worth a look. Hopefully it'll play okay outside the UK.

H59

Register Sign in to join the conversation