Other Players

The Godmother Of Rock’n’Roll

That's the title of a superb documentary showing right now in the UK on BBC Four tv and charting the life and career of Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Some great vintage footage. Surely it will be viewable via the BBC's website for a few days. If you like this sort of stuff, please don't miss this.

She is the awesomest.

Dave, before I even clicked the thread title, I guessed Sister Rosetta. I hope those of us on the west side of the pond will be able get a look at this documentary. She was incredible.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe was my most awesomest mindblowing random youtube find of all time!! The first video I watched was the one where the little ole chuch lady suddenly just LETS RIP on a solo on that white LP/SG... that f'd me up!

I was thinking of the good Sister as well when saw the title . . .

I actually thought of Wanda Jackson. I've heard of Sister Rosetta (from the Plant & Krauss album "Raising Sand")...but never heard her. As soon as I get my little girl in bed, I'm going to come down & change that state of affairs.

Thanks!

Bear85 wrote:

Dave, before I even clicked the thread title, I guessed Sister Rosetta. I hope those of us on the west side of the pond will be able get a look at this documentary. She was incredible.

I also thought of Sister Rosetta too. Elvis was a fan of her's. I was also thinking maybe Big Mama Thornton.

Register Sign in to join the conversation