Other Players

Stephen Stills Biography Review

The little bit that I could read was good. But, it states that the article is only available to subscribers.

Thanks for posting that. Big fan. He went to school here in Gainesville,Fl. and bought his dad's old house here, apparently he sneaks into town once in awhile to catch the Gators football games. Always keep an eye peeled for him on game days.

Wasn't Don Felder also from Gainesville, Opie?

Yup. And so was Tom Petty, Mike Campbell (most of the Heartbreakers, in fact), Bernie Leadon (The Eagles), his brother Tom, who was in Mudcrunch with Tom Petty and others I can't remember right now.

I wonder if the Stills book is any good.

Wasn't Don Felder also from Gainesville, Opie?

– Ric12string

Yeah, the Don Felder interview was great; throw in Fred Neil and you've got a lot of talent there.

Sorry about the truncated article; if you find yourself near a bookstore (remember those?) pick up the NYRB and finish the article. The writer said the book was good but complained of spelling errors, probably the result of spellchecker technology idiocy.

If a reviewer is complaining of spell checking, they need to find a new reviewer. Granted, spelling and punctuation are two extremely important tools to enable your message to get across to a reader. But, hopefully, the reviewer spent some time evaluating what the biographer had to say about Stills in the book.

Lots of stories among G-ville natives concerning local musicians. One concerns the now defunct music store Lipham's Music. The Allman Bro's band was just getting off the ground when their equipment truck was stolen will all there amp's ect. Mr Lipham gave them credit for several thousands of $ on replacements. They paid every cent of it back in small checks as they came in. You could see a couple of them that they had signed posted on the wall. A funny Tom Petty story. A bass player I know was playing in a band in the 60's that was hired for some prom dance, considered a good paying gig in the day. As they were setting up another band shows up, saying THEY were hired, who the %$# are YOU guys? Tempers flared, soon fists were flying as all hell broke loose. The girl in charge comes out all crying and saying what the hell is going on. Turns out, both bands were hired, they were supposed to play two stages, sort of a battle of the band's theme. Well , a couple members from both bands had already left in a huff, Tom, who played bass in his band, had hurt his hand. So what happened was they combined the remaining musicians into one band, Petty as lead vocal, my friend played bass with the remainder filling in, and the night was saved.

http://www.gainesville.com/...

I do believe I bought my 1916 L-1 @ Liphams

The other Shop in town invented the digital tuner..."Sabine's"

Drove by "Dub's" on the way to work...

– Twangmeisternyc

Ha, I was in Dub's the other day getting my social security straightened out ! Reading the article reminds me of another story told me concerning the AB playing that contest. Remember the time period, all the other bands competing were Rascals/Paul Revere type cover bands complete with matching uniforms. A buddy of mine was there when these really gruff looking guys pulled up. "First thing we noticed was a black dude in the band, which was not common then. Then they started setting up two drums! We knew we were in trouble when they proceeded to nail them down to the stage !" Now here's the kicker, the contest judges had no point of reference for these dudes, some other copy band won!

Do you remember the names of the other Guitar/Music Shops, Opie?

I lived in Gainesville Fall 1986 until Summer 1988...

My mind has Gainesville Shopping Center, University Ave., and Lipham's a little mixed up.

I think I have called Lipham's "Gainesville Music or University Music" in the past...but, that location on University Ave. is where I know I bought the guitar.

And then there is "Sonny's" and "Skeeter's" to talk about...Ha!

Okay, to summarize the book's review: the subtitle is Change Partners and is a chronicle of the people and places that Stills worked with focusing on the man's work not so much as psychology. The writer notes a lot of what we're seeing in the above posts about Florida being a really interesting musical hub and Stills' travels. "Rock and Roll Woman" is supposed to be a Valentine to Grace Slick -- if that alone doesn't make you want to pick the book up then I haven't any more to add. There will never be enough information about Buffalo Springfield for me.

Do you remember the names of the other Guitar/Music Shops, Opie?

I lived in Gainesville Fall 1986 until Summer 1988...

My mind has Gainesville Shopping Center, University Ave., and Lipham's a little mixed up.

I think I have called Lipham's "Gainesville Music or University Music" in the past...but, that location on University Ave. is where I know I bought the guitar.

And then there is "Sonny's" and "Skeeter's" to talk about...Ha!

– Twangmeisternyc

"Skeeters Big Biscuit", yesereee Bob! Had some surrealistic moments back in the day bumbling into there 3 in the morning, always had someone on stage doing a solo act. The original Sony's on Waldo rd is still going strong. University music was indeed on University Ave, Sabines was off 13th st,Lipham's was in a shopping center corner University and 34th st, the cool hang out shop was in the Baird center, can't think of what it was called, but was run by longtime native and picker Mike Boulware.

Thx for straightening that out, ... I bought the L-1 @ University Music !

The other dessert and coffee place we liked was Emiliano's down near The Hippodrome.

And then Lillian's...

Authorized biography?

– Deed Eddy

Good question! It doesn't say, so I'm guessing no. Reviewer's comments: "...collected most of his sources from widely available interviews...speedy checklist of wives, girlfriends, children will have to do for an account of Stills' personal life...is far more interested in constructing a chronicle of permutations and reunions that formed Stills' musicmaking..." Can't recall if "Shakey" about Neil Young was authorized but it was well done as was that massive early bio about Elvis up to when his mother died (can't remember the name, maybe Mystery Train by Greil Marcus?).

Thx for straightening that out, ... I bought the L-1 @ University Music !

The other dessert and coffee place we liked was Emiliano's down near The Hippodrome.

And then Lillian's...

– Twangmeisternyc

That whole area by the Hippodrome has really changed, and for the better IMO.New construction but done in a way that's copacetic with the downtown as a whole.Lots of new small restaurants and shopping. Last I saw Emiliano's was still there. Ah, Lillian's. I live in an old 1880's farmhouse in Micanopy. I got to know the fella that was born in my house pretty well before he passed. Lillian was his aunt, and it was originally a music store. When it was sold and reopened as a bar with the same name it was quite the controversy in the family. Shocking, simply shocking!

Last Train to Memphis, by Peter Guralnick. Wonderful biography of Elvis. Beautifully done.

Last Train to Memphis, by Peter Guralnick. Wonderful biography of Elvis. Beautifully done.

– Deed Eddy

That was it. IIRC he did the rest of the story which I will probably get to -- as the first part was written so beautifully -- but I'm not sure I'll like what I'll find.

Register Sign in to join the conversation