Other Players

Stephane Wrembel…some Gypsy, lottsa swing!!!

I stumbled across this guitarist from browsing the happenings of Joe's Pub and other restaurants with NYC's Noho Hospitality Group. I just mention this to highlight another example of how something great can be found by accident, so........now the good stuff.

I'm interested in discovering if anyone here knows Stephane and his group.

Stephane is wonderful. He's not a velocity loon, even though he has more than enough speed and dexterity.

He's concerned with melodic flow, with using the tune's theme as the foundation of improvisation. I like his playing and his entire approach very much.

I saw Stephane Wrembel at Joe's Pub several years ago - playing along with Biel Ballester. I met up with Biel afterwards, ended up at an after-party at a bar where they also got together and played (and met with Biel a few times in Barcelona, where he lives) - Biel is also an amazing Gypsy jazz guitarist, and a Gretsch fan - he's a member here. Look him up as well.

Another vote for "WOW!!" here.

This is my first exposure to Stephane and I am in awe....!! This will likely consume the better part of my day searching the web to hear more of his fabulous music!

Thank you for sharing, NJDevil!

I saw Stephane Wrembel at Joe's Pub several years ago - playing along with Biel Ballester. I met up with Biel afterwards, ended up at an after-party at a bar where they also got together and played (and met with Biel a few times in Barcelona, where he lives) - Biel is also an amazing Gypsy jazz guitarist, and a Gretsch fan - he's a member here. Look him up as well.

– nielDa

Great story and thanks for sharing and will certainly look-up Biel. I am completely immersed in Gypsy jazz and swing playing on my acoustic.....of course the other side of me is playing rock 'n roll and blues on my electrics. There's just not enough hours in the day!

Here's a link to Joe's Pub website where on Thursday 7/30, they will be playing an archived performance from he live October 11, 2019 at Joe's Pub.

https://publictheater.org/p...

The 7/30 show icon takes you to more detail.....

https://publictheater.org/p...

Register Sign in to join the conversation