Other Players

SRV sound check. Wow!

Ruger, I definitely agree that In Step was his best album for the exact reasons you stated. Also, one doesn’t need to search hard to find the multitude of great admiration from those that were his blues guitar playing mentors. Eric Clapton was floored by Stevie and the comments from people like B.B. King, Albert King, and Buddy Guy are a few that saw him as “ the one” to have the torch passed to.

Dave, I have to admit I cried too. My mom bought me “Couldn’t Stand the Weather” and she died in May of ‘90 .....only a few months before Stevie. The man who helped me escaped the sadness dying also was a double hit.

You can hear in the first video that it must have been really really loud and that he is using really heavy strings.

You can hear in the first video that it must have been really really loud and that he is using really heavy strings.

– themidnighter

I believe his strings were 13s. He used heavy guage strings for sure

He is a great player, but neither he or Clapton turn my crank because I just don't like blues music.

I believe his strings were 13s. He used heavy guage strings for sure

– Mr_Christopher

I think you’re right. People can debate about who’s the best, but I like him.

Yup---13s on his guitars. I got to string them up and tune them.

"If you don't know the blues there's no point in picking up a guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." Keith Richards.

I think that Scuttle Buttin' is just a tribute to Lonnie Mack's Chicken Picken'. SRV is a known fan and supporter of Lonnie Mack.

Chicken Picken

Lee

He is a great player, but neither he or Clapton turn my crank because I just don't like blues music.

– farmerbrown

You should check at least the Bluesbreaker LP or Layla LP or Blind Faith LP to make sure. Clapton wrote some good tunes while he was young.

I think that Scuttle Buttin' is just a tribute to Lonnie Mack's Chicken Picken'. SRV is a known fan and supporter of Lonnie Mack.

Chicken Picken

Lee

– Lee Erickson

Good find!!! Never heard that before!

Thanks, John. One of my favs. I could listen and watch this stuff all day.

I love me some SRV. I keep a couple guitars strung with 13s just because of him.(And J.Beck) I also keep some with 10s(8+9 too) cause of Hendrix. I'm all over the place!

Register Sign in to join the conversation