Other Players

SRV sound check. Wow!

I like how he yawns and stretches a couple of times and goes right into Scuttle Buttin' like it was nothing. There are many guitar players that are more technically skilled but still to this day I would rather listen to him than anybody.

I yawned too. The most unoriginal guitarist to ever walk the earth.

– Bluecap

There's one in every crowd....

Great footage thanks for posting.

This one is good too. Rehearsals with Bowie in Dallas 1983 before they got into a disagreement over SRV and Double Trouble opening the shows. After that SRV exits and Earl Slick is back in the Bowie lineup.

– Bluecap

Well SRV was of course influenced by the great blues guitarist of the past and of the electric blues of Hendrix but he brought it to another level and as well put his spin on it. So no he didn't invent electric blues but his take on it was extraordinary.

– Bluecap

SRV never did it for me either. Personally. That's just taste. But it is fundamentally crappy to crap on a thread dedicated to an artist many of our friends enjoy and admire.

I don't recall the year but I worked for a company in Dallas and we were planning a big event and a friend said we should hire this band from Austin, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. This was prior to his first album.

Well we did and I remember watching him/them and thinking these boys are going somewhere.

I got to work a SRV show on his first tour. I hung out with his guitar tech at the time---one Carlos Diaz. I helped set up the band, carried the gear in from the bus, and got to string and tune his guitar. Sat 15' from him just offstage. My ears are still ringing. Worked Kenny Wayne Shepard a few years later.

Id give my teeth to play half as good. I enjoy listening to him.

Stummerson got it right. That's just bad form. I thought SRV entered a new phase with his last work as evidenced by the Riviera Paradise thing he did, and have to wonder where he might have gone. But Albert King he wasn't. I saw both, Stevie was work'in his way there ,but not da same.But really, if one person gets hip to some good roots music via SRV, or even God forbid, the bona man, then give me ten more. I love the music,period. If some kid gets turned on by hearing somebody,anybody, I could care less who it might be. Much as I still laugh thinkng of Pat Boone covering some of what he did,I wonder how many boppers got sidetracked in a good way by it.One more set of feet in the door. I got turned on to that and more by the Clapton's and Bloomfield's of my day. And even though I now know better, them Kats still hold a place in my heart of hearts. I'm lucky,damned lucky looking back, that a. I was hip the originals early in life(12) and b. I'm old enough that I got a chance to see a bunch of the originals, from Wolf in a Veterans Hall to Lightn"in ,to Hooker at a folk festival,to many more than I could mention. Kids now are just as excited to discover this music , just like us. Me and my Bud's growing up thought WE discovered this , ha ! So my hats off to the guys and gals who keep the folks coming back. The ones that matter, will look beyond the curtain, and get to the meat and tater's of it all. And some of them will be the next crop.And so it goes.....

We all learn from those who came before us.

Love that soundcheck clip. I like SRV a lot, great player. There were so many bad to awful SRV copycats that the whole SRV "thing" became a little annoying for a while, but a clip like the one unclegrumpy posted is a good reminder of how effortless a player he was, with a great groove and fantastic tone.

Fortunate enough to get to see one these checks while sharing a bill in a postage stamp sized joint in '83. Sweet guy, waaaaaaay loud, and definitely a singular talent. Not my particular thing, but no denying the man had both chops and soul.

I hate how alot of people (on guitar forums) lump all the Vaughan-abees in with the MAN HIMSELF. It's ridiculous.

If you don't like blues rock, fine, but to say SRV was any kind of "hack" or "copycat", gimme a break. It's old. Just because BB King can sound like T-Bone Walker here and there, don't mean he's a "copycat".

I too wish we could have heard where he was headed, after hearing "Riviera Paradise".

And I have heard from alot of people that SRV was the loudest show they've ever been to.

I dunno why he gets so many knocks, why bother? My only gripe is that most of it is endless 12 bar routines.....but we all like to have a bit of that from time to time.

And good grief, the guy punches like a prize fighter.

Plus it’s kinda obvious that he’d been fast asleep 5 minutes before this. Then fires off like a canon

Here is a pretty funny video of SRV smoking a pipe while playing Scuttle Buttin'.

Love this one where Jeff Healy flat out humiliates him at 1:16 and he knows it...

Flat out humiliates him? I must have missed that but whatever. I'm just glad that I came up in a time that I could enjoy both of their talents. Both of these men inspired me to be a better guitarist. God rest their souls.

I am grateful to him and to Clapton for giving blues music one last gasp in the 1990s, which brought light to people like Buddy Guy. 20th century blues music will soon fade into obscurity. In all of Chicago, there are only a handful of places left that feature blues acts. And the same 15 bands circulate through those venues relentlessly.

How I miss 20th century Chicago.

You kids get off my lawn!!

Id give my teeth to play half as good. I enjoy listening to him.

– munman

I don't enjoy listening to him, but I'd still give my eye teeth to play half as well. People in my real life think I'm a good guitarist. If they only knew what an actual good guitarist sounds like they wouldn't think much of my rudimentary noodling.

I have a younger Brother who made his living for many years playing Blues Guitar and touring with a pretty well known Blues outfit, so I can appreciate the 12 Bar thing although Its never really been my thing, but I do admire SRV, He took Texas Blues to a new level and brought a lot of Fans in to hear some of the old greats, and that's definitely a good thing. I saw SRV a few times and always enjoyed him. I also think he had a great voice which nobody ever talks about. Thanks for the Video.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is the greatest in my opinion. Some detractors have voiced their opinion and he may not be for everyone and that's cool...... Now, to the disrespectful comments to his playing my retort would be to stick it in your ear but apparently you already have 'cause you can't hear shit.

Stevie hit a very rough patch with the booze and cocaine and the music suffered but God bless his soul as he overcame and entered into what was a rebirth in 1987. Riviera Paradise was just a taste but I think he knew what people wanted to hear so commercially he didn't produce a fraction of what he was capable of. Chitlins Con Carne, Stang's Swang, Riviera Paradise...... new things were coming around and it was exciting. God rest his soul.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is the greatest in my opinion. Some detractors have voiced their opinion and he may not be for everyone and that's cool...... Now, to the disrespectful comments to his playing my retort would be to stick it in your ear but apparently you already have 'cause you can't hear shit.

Stevie hit a very rough patch with the booze and cocaine and the music suffered but God bless his soul as he overcame and entered into what was a rebirth in 1987. Riviera Paradise was just a taste but I think he knew what people wanted to hear so commercially he didn't produce a fraction of what he was capable of. Chitlins Con Carne, Stang's Swang, Riviera Paradise...... new things were coming around and it was exciting. God rest his soul.

– NJDevil

No one ever agrees with me, but I think In Step was his best album. NO.... Texas Flood isn't on there. NO... Lenny isn't on there. NO... Tin Pan Alley isn't on there. YES.... House Is Rockin' got overplayed (good for SRV!) But it's his only album where he's clean and sober, and you can hear it. Personally, I think being clean helped him get even MORE in touch with the music (and certainly with himself.) He was also happy- he had a fiance'. Made a record with his brother. Dabbling in jazz. Things were only going UP.

So sad. IMO he's was OUR generation's Hendrix. No, he didn't break the ground that Hendrix did, but he did RE-break it, in a world full of Bowies and Duran Durans and synthesizers. A hell of alot of people play guitar thanks to SRV. (Me and NJdevil are 2 of them).

Occasionally, while sitting in the hot tub, we'll turn some blues on Pandora. If SRV comes on, I know immediately. His tone is so recognizable. Just like EVH and a few others that I can think of. I lost my job the same day that SRV died but when the news came on the radio, announcing his death, I literally cried. That isn't normal for me. I had to wonder if I was crying because I lost my job or the world lost a great artist. Likely the latter.

SRV and Jeff Healey were both great losses and that clip of them above is pure magic. Looked like they really enjoyed playing together.Both great talents with their own thing going on. So sad, so young, both of them.

Register Sign in to join the conversation