Other Players

So Long, Rocco!

We've lost another of the greats. Francis "Rocco" Prestia, founding member and longtime bassist with Tower of Power passed away on Tuesday at 69.

Rocco had a totally unique and identifiable style, and was a very humble guy as well as one of my Top Ten favorite bassists. Tower is one of the two bands I've seen live more often than any others, and the rhythm section of Rocco and David Garibaldi was one of the tightest, funkiest and hardest grooving teams ever.

The East Bay has gotten a little less funky.

Rocco Prestia Obituary

which is kinda hard to do with Oakland. kidding aside, ToP is/was a great band, and i know Rocco will be greatly missed. RIP.

That's the style of bass that got me interested in playing the thing.. but I was never any good at it and wound up doing something a little different.

RIP, Rocco

We've lost another of the greats. Francis "Rocco" Prestia, founding member and longtime bassist with Tower of Power passed away on Tuesday at 69.

Rocco had a totally unique and identifiable style, and was a very humble guy as well as one of my Top Ten favorite bassists. Tower is one of the two bands I've seen live more often than any others, and the rhythm section of Rocco and David Garibaldi was one of the tightest, funkiest and hardest grooving teams ever.

The East Bay has gotten a little less funky.

Rocco Prestia Obituary

– Parabar

Sad day for the Funk. That recording is awesome on so many levels. Sax section is about as tight as it gets. Rocco just kind of floats in his own space. RIP Sir.

Sorry to hear this. Always dug TOP. Wow, listen to him on that track! Funk for days.. RIP Rocco.

Register Sign in to join the conversation