Other Players

Saw Albert Lee again last night - w/ Peter Asher

Last night (and tonight too, I believe), Peter and Albert did a 2 man acoustic set at McCabe's in Santa Monica, CA. Peter was playing an acoustic Gretsch 12 string on a number of tunes. He played a Gretsch bass on a couple of others. It was pretty informal and was probably similar to what was presented at the Roundup that I missed a couple of years back. There were as many stories as there was music. They were very entertaining and the small crowd loved them. Both are real characters. I met and spoke to Randy Meisner (Poco, Eagles) and his (controversial?) wife outside before the show.

That is something I would like to see... cool -- Peter Asher playing a Gretsch bass.

What was controversial about Mrs. Meisner?

Speaking of Poco, Rusty Young had this thing on TV last month. Wish I could remember what show it was.

There are a lot of conflicting posts on the internet about Randy and his wife, his children, his ex-wife, his friends, his health, alleged addictions, money, etc. As a matter of fact, his death was reported on the internet yesterday morning and I met him yesterday evening (nearly 10 hours after his 'death'). It looks as though he's caught in a Brian Wilson style soap opera that, if true, I hope ends well for him. He was a friendly, quiet, gentle man who looks as if there are some very hard miles on him. I pray that he gets any and all of his supposed problems resolved quickly.

One thing I forgot to mention about Peter Asher.... he was wearing a red and black plaid suit (jacket and pants) with horizontally striped socks and sneakers. Somewhere, a perfectly good 1970's couch is without any fabric. Yeah, baby!!!

beatbyrd, I am happy that you were able to see Peter Asher and Albert Lee. While I have not seen them together, I have seen Peter on multiple occasions and I can imagine that it was a fun time. As for his sartorial tendencies, the man is very self-confident, having had a very successful career as a performer, producer, manager and now again as a performer. So, he dresses in any way that he sees fit. And, often it is quite interesting what he assembles. I have the greatest admiration for him.

As for Randy, I was speaking about two weeks ago with someone who knows Randy Meisner very well. He told me that Randy developed quite a taste for alcohol while he was with the Eagles and that he has had difficulties ever since shaking that demon. Did Randy say whether he was still performing at all? He had gotten into a preaching thing, although I don't know how altogether serious he was.

DCBirdman, you mentioned that "Rusty Young had this thing on TV last month". Just what is "this thing"? I am going to see him perform with Poco on Halloween night and am quite looking forward to it.

By the way, HERE is an article about some of Randy's current miseries.

EDIT: And THIS PAGE contains a video of Randy and his wife responding briefly to the charges.

And THIS PAGE indicates that a settlement was reached.

I wish the man well. He certainly brought me much joy with his music over the years.

beatbyrd, I am happy that you were able to see Peter Asher and Albert Lee. While I have not seen them together, I have seen Peter on multiple occasions and I can imagine that it was a fun time. As for his sartorial tendencies, the man is very self-confident, having had a very successful career as a performer, producer, manager and now again as a performer. So, he dresses in any way that he sees fit. And, often it is quite interesting what he assembles. I have the greatest admiration for him.

As for Randy, I was speaking about two weeks ago with someone who knows Randy Meisner very well. He told me that Randy developed quite a taste for alcohol while he was with the Eagles and that he has had difficulties ever since shaking that demon. Did Randy say whether he was still performing at all? He had gotten into a preaching thing, although I don't know how altogether serious he was.

DCBirdman, you mentioned that "Rusty Young had this thing on TV last month". Just what is "this thing"? I am going to see him perform with Poco on Halloween night and am quite looking forward to it.

– Ric12string

Thanks gentlemen for the thoughtful comments - and for noticing the subtlety of my wardrobe choices! Clearly I don't check the Gretsch pages often enough! And yes, I love my Gretsch bass. Hollow body and I put flat wounds on it for a big old puffy sound.

Peter..... you and Albert Lee really need to get back to McCabe's sometime this year.

Nice to see you here, Peter. I have been a big fan since 1964. Flats on a hollow bass is a lovely sound. I put them on my Hofner Club bass and I love the "puffiness".

Peter, I hope you don't mind if I take this opportunity to say that "Go To Pieces" remains one of those songs that had a huge impact on my young life. Totally identified with it. And in a way, I still do. An all-timer for me.

Good to see you performing. And with another hero whose stunning instrumental piece "General Lee", I named my Tele, and now my avatar, after. Say hello to Albert from General_Lee! Have a great day sir...

Great to see you on the GDP, Peter.

Beatbyrd, in rereading your post, let me hasten to say that I don't believe that the show which Peter is doing with Albert Lee bears a whole lot of resemblance to the performance which he gave at our California Roundup in 2012 (which, by the way, was a truly special experience for all attendees). Peter is certainly the ultimate raconteur, so no evening with him would be complete without those fantastic stories. But, from what I have seen on YouTube of the Peter and Albert performances, the emphasis is a bit different, what with Albert being present and a part of the performance.

Peter, which bass are you referring to? A White Falcon bass?

I must say that that your choice of the sunburst hollow body acoustic that the pickup was installed on was a great choice for you. It looks tremendous and I imagine that it sounds just as nice. Did you use it on any of the recordings with Steve Martin and Edie Brickell which you produced?

Peter, just truly lovely of you to stop by. Your choices in attire, from the outset, have been one of the many lovely attributes you possess which draw us to you. Then, there's also that music thing.

I told Joe C at the time that the first year you came to Abbey Road on the River in Louisville you gave us the best performance ever presented on any AROTR stage, and they've had 70+ bands a year since 2002. Thank you for that. Wish that could happen again.

Oh, wait. Sorry. I'm going all fan girl here. I am. Olivia Anne

Peter..... you and Albert Lee really need to get back to McCabe's sometime this year.

– beatbyrd

Two days later and it looks like I got half my wish. Albert Lee is performing at McCabe's on 2/25/2017. Tickets are still available for the SoCal folks who might be interested.

Register Sign in to join the conversation