Other Players

Sad day.

I hadn't heard the news. Sad indeed, and too young. The work Metheny and Mays did together is incomparable.

As Falls Wichita would capture a wistful remembrance, and a hope that his journey might have been longer.

Lyle Mays, jazz keyboardist with Pat Metheny, dies at 66.

Late 70’s early 80’s was an interesting time. There was so much going on, May’s, Metheny, Brecker, Pastorius backing Joni Mitchell. Bright Size Life hit, The Pat Metheny Group and Word of Mouth were on the fringe. I was lucky to see WOM open up for PMG on a pier in New York, things were happening and no cell phones.

Musicians are passing at an alarming rate and it seems there’s nothing filling the void. I feel lucky that I grew up when I did, everything now seems fake/plastic.

I hadn't heard the news. Sad indeed, and too young. The work Metheny and Mays did together is incomparable.

As Falls Wichita would capture a wistful remembrance, and a hope that his journey might have been longer.

– Proteus

As Falls Wichita has special meaning to me because I have a favorite uncle who is succumbing to Alzheimer's and that is one of his favorites records. When I hear it, I immediately think of him.

– Proteus

and I really like that record!

I've always loved it. Such an ... elegaic, I think is the word ... vibe throughout. You feel the prairie, you feel the haunting, a brooding without darkness, vague remembrance of things forgotten, an acceptance of things as they are. It's peaceful.

I've always loved it. Such an ... elegaic, I think is the word ... vibe throughout. You feel the prairie, you feel the haunting, a brooding without darkness, vague remembrance of things forgotten, an acceptance of things as they are. It's peaceful.

– Proteus

yep it evokes all of those feelings for me, and I wasn't previously a Pat Matheny fan. What I heard before that never really grabbed my ear, it was always too much of a plastic tone for me. I was quite taken the first time I heard that record!

Awwwwww, nuts!! Lyle Mays had such a unique voice on both piano and synthesizers. He and Pat Metheny were one of those combinations that brought out the best in each other. Lyle always seemed to be an unassuming guy who was in it for the music, not the crowd adulation or anything else. I only got to see him live once --- with Pat, and they performed As Falls Wichita which if anything was even more powerful than the album version.

He will be missed.

Oh this sucks. I hadn't heard until I looked here.

My world just keeps getting emptier.

The 20th century seems to be slipping away too fast. So Sad.

Register Sign in to join the conversation