Other Players

Roots of surf guitar - Dick Dale’s Miserlou, 1948

In reading various articles recently about Dick Dale I came across this version of Miserlou, by Anton Abdelahad, 1948. Not sure if this was ever posted here.

Miserlou, Anton Abdelahad, 1948

Also, if interested, search YouTube for the Woody Herman version, 1941

great post

dick dale meshed all his influences early on...old family miserlou melody thru duane E tone, thru socal town hall with joe maphis and collins kids, etc...

and morphed into his own

a true american master

In reading various articles recently about Dick Dale I came across this version of Miserlou, by Anton Abdelahad, 1948. Not sure if this was ever posted here.

– nielDa

Thanks, I never heard this version. We have a gig tonight, and I added Miserlou to the setlist in honour of the late, great Mr. Dale. (Too bad my Arabic is a little rusty, otherwise I could've sung it.... )

There's a link to an interesting article in the video description (check it out HERE ), and it turns out Anton Abdelahad's version is actually from 1948. The 1927 recording is this one:

Anders

great post

dick dale meshed all his influences early on...old family miserlou melody thru duane E tone, thru socal town hall with joe maphis and collins kids, etc...

and morphed into his own

a true american master

– neatone

Yep, Joe Maphis and Larry Collins are at the root of the big twangy bass string melody and fast staccato picking in Dick Dale's case.

Apparently, Dale dated Lorrie Collins for a little while, and got guitar lessons from Larrie Collins.

Thanks, I never heard this version. We have a gig tonight, and I added Miserlou to the setlist in honour of the late, great Mr. Dale. (Too bad my Arabic is a little rusty, otherwise I could've sung it.... )

There's a link to an interesting article in the video description (check it out HERE ), and it turns out Anton Abdelahad's version is actually from 1948. The 1927 recording is this one:

Anders

– gretschoholic

Okay thanks, date corrected in the title and text. It was 1927 for the original recording. So cool to hear those early versions- and consider how they morphed into surf guitar. (And for a different take, listened to the Black Eyed Peas “Pump It” version yesterday too.)

Fascinating stuff here!! The old versions sound like great music for belly dancing! No -- I'm not making any offers to perform....

– nielDa

Wow...love that version

Register Sign in to join the conversation