Other Players

RIP George Michael

The Wham! and solo star died today at age 53. Very sad and shocking. RIP.

He had his troubles the last 20 years but he was pretty damn big in the 80s.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/...

Here he plays a Gretsch in the video for Faith:

Wow!! WAY TOO Young! The "curse" of 2016 seems to continue......

Dang -- he kind of WAS the 80s. Another one gone.

I still think the Faith album was a great album. I Liked some Wham stuff too. Only 53...too young.

What a loss of a great talent.

Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou (25 June 1963 – 25 December 2016), my fellow Greek.

A few years ago there was talk of a Wham! reunion. Not sure why it never happened.

I was in high school when Wham! hit it big. If I recall they were Wham! UK at first then dropped the UK bit.

I was a big fan back then and still to this day am a fan. didn't care for him as a solo artist, nothing personal about him but musically wasn't my cup of tea.

Loved the Gretsch in this Faith video though that drmilktruck mentioned. I did like that song, only one of his solo songs I liked.

Was listening to "Last Christmas" a lot this month. That's a great song that I never grow tired of and often listen to it a lot during summer of all times.

He had a great voice. We used to cover Careless Whisper back in the day.

First heard Wham! in 7th grade (1984!?!)

Although he was not my favorite musician / singer; his music was major background music in my high school years.

We all have / have had our demons, I hope he finds peace in the afterlife that perhaps he couldn't find in this one.

RIP

I read somewhere he wrote all his own music,, he had some memorable tunes for sure. So him at the Blaisdale arena in Honolulu way back when, my chick wanted to see him, and Im glad I went along.

R.I.P. George

I read somewhere he wrote all his own music,, he had some memorable tunes for sure. So him at the Blaisdale arena in Honolulu way back when, my chick wanted to see him, and Im glad I went along.

R.I.P. George

– LA_Manny

Yes, he wrote his own music and played most of the instruments on the recordings as well. A true polymath.

I was never a big fan of the style of most of his music...but, I really thought Father Figure was a great song. And, undoubtedly, the man could sing! 53 is way too young...I feel bad for his family, friends and fans.

Jeez,what a year!

I always liked Kissing a Fool from Faith.

Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 is a masterpiece.

Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 is a masterpiece.

Glad you posted that video. GM's music was really not what I would run out and buy...but I always appreciated his mastery of the pop genre and his ability to stretch himself here and there.

The video above has what I feel is George's best song. Click on 26:50 on the above video and listen to "Waiting For That Day." There is a great youtube video of George constructing that song. Somehow he knew instinctively that it would work to mix folk 12 string acoustic guitar with Procol Harum psychedelic keyboards with hip hop beats! The song is a master class in song construction. Really a top tune.

The first song I ever slow danced to with Chanda was Careless Whisper at a party, Oct 5 1985. I never cared too much for his music but what he did, he was great at. He inspired a generation for sure.

Register Sign in to join the conversation