Modern Gretsch Guitars

Blacktop > Filtertron change?

Hello Gretsch Fans! I just bought a Pro Jet and wanted to know if Filtertrons can fit in place of the Blacktop Pickups. The surrounds look the same. The older chrome surrounds that were on the Electromatic Jets seemed to be different but the new surrounds look like this swop would be no problem. Probably going to replace the pickguard with a silver one too. Not really digging the Mother of Toilet seat guard. But other than that it's a great guitar for the money.

Here's a closer look with the more traditional pickup surrounds that are stock now and I used Corel draw and made a silver pickguard on it. Actually a black Gretsch guard would probably be pretty nice too.

Here with filtertron and silver guard using Corel draw to get and idea what it would look like.

I believe standard pro line Gretsch filtertrons won't work, you need englishmount PUPs with "ears", plus these surrounds have two height adjustments on the bass side. you can get TVJones English mount Pups and order a mounting adapter for the extra adjustment.

Thanks for info on the pickup mounting.

Hello Gretsch Fans! I just bought a Pro Jet and wanted to know if Filtertrons can fit in place of the Blacktop Pickups. The surrounds look the same. The older chrome surrounds that were on the Electromatic Jets seemed to be different but the new surrounds look like this swop would be no problem. Probably going to replace the pickguard with a silver one too. Not really digging the Mother of Toilet seat guard. But other than that it's a great guitar for the money.

– ProJet

I'm confused. What year is this guitar.....is it a Baldwin era? If it is, then the Blacktops ARE Filtertrons and they'll be Alnico's as well. You say you want to replace with Filtertrons??

Black facing was simply a change Baldwin made to put their signature on 'their' era guitars. When they're Alnico, they're great pickups so I don't know what you want to put in in place of these.

Windsordave- The" Blacktop inspired "Pickups were introduced in 2011 for the new 543x and 542x electro models.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't follow the solidbodies too much. That's why I asked what year the guitar was as I only have info regarding the original Blackfaces

It's a 2015. I really like the tone of the FT's. Nothing wrong with the BT's they actually sound pretty good. If the rings are the same size as the standard FT's then a swop with FT rings would be a snap.

Pro Jet- Aithough the newer plastic rings on the blacktops resemble the standard rings, I believe the outer dimensions are bigger, so a standard ring might not cover the screw holes. There was an old thread in the Electromatic section discussing the differences. I would contact forum member Setzer ( he makes custom guards, TRCs,bezels, Etc.) He knows all the dimensions. This still doesn't address the mounting problem if you use standard Gretsch HS filtertrons which are made to screw into the top of the body on pro lines(somebody correct me it I'm wrong), you need ears to suspend the pickup from the ring on the electros.There was a old thread about making mounting ears but I think it got lost in last years crash.

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly check everything out before I embark on any mods. The BT's are pretty sweet but was toying with a FT swop at some point.

If I were you, I would leave those Pickups alone. They sound damn good, and changing them to Filtertrons is not worth the time,money and effort.

Invest the $ in a good amp or pedals.

I get what you're saying - but - I've got 5 vintage Blackface Fender Amps that are really nice and too many nice pedals this was a project guitar purchase and that's why I'm investing the time just to see what is possible for not too much money and still look like it came that way. All in good fun

Any way here are 2 pics for comparison.

Here are the filtertrons rings

Looks pretty close by comparison. Seems you could swop the rings and use Standard Filtetrons with some quick ingenuity. For anyone interested. I'll post some pics when I get the actual filtertron rings to compare.

I get what you're saying - but - I've got 5 vintage Blackface Fender Amps that are really nice and too many nice pedals this was a project guitar purchase and that's why I'm investing the time just to see what is possible for not too much money and still look like it came that way. All in good fun

– ProJet

With your collection of amps and good BT's what exactly are you looking for that the BT's and your amps aren't giving you??

There's nothing wrong with the BT's I just want to put a set of Filtertrons in there. If it doesn't work out I can put the BT's back in. No big deal. Anyway I'm sure someone else will come along and want to know if it is possible and what is needed to do this change. So if you're interested stay turned. I'm going to go through with it if I still feel the same after a few more days. Either way I'll post the pics of the differences in the pickup rings.

Hi, the plastic bezels are the same size, they are identical. Only difference is the adjuster holes in the blacktop setup.

Thanks for your informative response. Still waiting on the FT rings. Glad to know they're the same size.

I know a guy local to me selling a filtertron For $40

Not sure if that's a good price

– ProJet

O.K.

Ive seen a few Internet post and Youtube videos documenting the swap, its been a few years since I actually searched for it, but they are out there.If I remember correctly some routing was required, but its been so long I cant say 100% for sure.

I swapped out the gretschbuckers on my Pro jet years ago to P-90's. Alot of $ ,time and work with not alot of noticeable improvement in sound quality. I put the Original Pickups back in.Good Luck.

I have the identical guitar and have been told here and at a shop that the two rings, the chrome and the plastic are not interchangeable due to mounting holes which will show or have to be filled if the change is made from chrome to plastic. Others with more experience may call hooey, but it's what I read here. Now I'm confused as Setzer says they will work...

Now the silver Guard... that's something I would be interested in as I also find the MOP to be a bit gaudy on an already flashy guitar.

My 2015 Pro Jet G5438T has pickup rings the same size as the Filtertrons just different mounting holes.

I ordered a Silver and a Black pickguard from "Quick Guards" and I'll see which one I like best or switch them from time to time.

TV Jones has an adaptor that fit the stock pickup rings for use with Filtertron style pickups. You just order English mounts and use the adaptors.

Here's those adaptors:

Here's a Powertron with English mount - note the screws are not on the top of the pickup ends between the coils. With the use of the Adaptors above (post 24) you can see that any English mount Filtertron style pickup can be used.

Register Sign in to join the conversation