Other Players

Richard Gere’s Guitar collection…

An amazing collection, some very very nice guitars.

Martin, Fender, Gibson, D'Angelico..... All amazing!

Part 1

Part 2

This is why Gibsons are so ridiculously overpriced. Because these loaded baby boomers are buyin' em. I have a neighbor who's not much of a player but owns a gorgeous LP, 335, and Vox.

It's still good that he loves the guitars and talks about them so reverently. Many people with that sort of money just buy into investments and keep them in humidity controlled bank vaults.

At least he plays them sometimes, and a lot of the guitars would fade away or be abused or modded if they weren't respected and collected as almost originals..

he had a killer collection , he auctioned off 110 of them

Jayce, I enjoyed those videos very much. Thanks for posting them.

There's a tangerine-ish jet with F'trons lurking in the back.

Cool collection. I like how he likes the ones that are properly worn.

This is why Gibsons are so ridiculously overpriced.

You misspelled "Fender". Gibsons were made on a scale and quality that was unmatched in a Golden Era. Guild and Epiphone are certainly fine instruments, but Gibson's ability to turn out literally thousands of high quality instruments annually was unmatched. Even the Les Paul had a carved top - far more labor intensive than the band sawn Tele.

Thanks for posting this Jayce enjoyed it very much

i never knew richard was so in the know about guitars....maybe i'll watch his movies now

let's not get crazy here.

i never knew richard was so in the know about guitars....maybe i'll watch his movies now

– Rattlecat

– RattleCat

There's certainly more range in his guitar collection than his acting. Hint: when he closes his eyes and flexes his cheek muscles, he's upset.

When I began watching the video, I asked myself, "Why is G.E. Smith there?" I suppose that he can coax a bit more out of those guitars than Richard Gere could.

It is easy to be cynical about Gere and his collection. However, the guy had the financial means to build a collection, so it is hard to begrudge him for having done so. Many of us might have done the same thing had we have been able to have done so.

The collection of guitars and amplifiers sold for a combined $936,000. The highest sale was a 1960 Les Paul that sold for $98,500. Other notables were a 1931 Martin D-28 that sold for $62,500, 1934 D'Angelico (owned by D'Angelico and later by John D'Aquisto) that sold for $20,000, and a 1958 Gibson Flying V that sold for $74,500.

Steve Miller was in the audience, but didn't purchase anything. His great quote was, "I wasn't tempted by anything. I have 450 guitars."

You are all very welcome! I enjoyed them too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation