Other Players

Really into Paul Pigats tone lately

Listening to a couple of Cousin Harley albums a lot lately... B'hiki Bop and The Dutch Sessions. Both are pretty great imo! I believe he is a Gretsch player, but what pick ups is he using. Sound very much like single coils to me... Dynasonics? I'd like to know more about his set up in general, guitar, scale length, amp?! Not that I'm going to run out and get new gear to "try" and sound like him, i just like understanding the DNA of tone

I'm quite sure Paul did the whole 'Dutch Sessions' with Will's Italian EKO. Just for the case you didn't know: Will is a GDPer who recorded this on tape!

Afaik he prefers single coils on his Gretsches (he's got his own signature model if I'm right). Dynobrain and I guess SWART amps. But maybe he answers here

A few years back Paul was playing an regular Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele and sounded great as always. I even remember his 'Dyna Pro' - an Electromatic Pro Jet he put some DeArmond style pus in. Make sure there's a guitar where he shows up and he'll sound fantastic.

He had Stern build him Synchro Club with Dynas. Check a few of the old threads around here. Also, he opened for Jeff Beck and Duane Eddy on that special NAMM concert listed IIRC on the Meet and Greet thread somewhere around January when Gretsch brought out the Cliff Gallup DuoJet; Ric12string thoughtfully recorded the concert for all to enjoy.

I think prior to the Gretsch thing he played a ES-350 alot

I'm quite sure Paul did the whole 'Dutch Sessions' with Will's Italian EKO. Just for the case you didn't know: Will is a GDPer who recorded this on tape!

– sascha

Exactly. And if I remember it correctly the amp was Will's Ampeg Reverberocket.

And I can tell you that he sounds exactly like Paul Pigat on any guitar he plays. He played all my guitars in my living room through my 60 tweed Deluxe and they all sounded like him. The strange thing is that after he left the guitars didn't sound like him at all anymore. I had hoped some of it would have rubbed off..... ; )

I think I saw him with a Blue Country Club or something like that. I also saw him playing a Tele that I think the Custom Shop built for him. And he used to play a 60s Gibson ES125. And of course he has his Gretsch Custom Shop model.

Perhaps Paul will tell you himself. He's a member here

I've caught him live at Street Sounds a couple of times. Incredible player!

His custom shop Synchro Club (which ought to be a production design) actually has a TVJ classic in the bridge and a T-Armond in the neck. The other GreTscHes he plays include filtertron and dynasonic hollowbodies.

Saw Paul play an after-NAMM club gig in Anaheim a couple years back, a lot of it on a terrific sounding Dan Dunham guitar. Anyway, turns out that not only is the guy an incredible talent, he's also about the nicest fella you'd ever want to meet.

The best way to nail Paul's tone is to give him the guitar.

As for guitar, it depends on the album... and the track! I asked him once which guitars he used on various tracks on B'Hiki Bop, and he listed them-I found his reply, I pasted it below...

One of my favorite tunes and tones from him is "Dreamingof You", and he said that was (surprisingly to me), the Falcon w/Filters.

B'Hiki Bop is one of my all-time favorite instrumental albums, a real "desert island disc" for me.

Thanks for the interest!! well, its been a while but i've had a listen to the cd (probably the first time since it was released) and i think i know which guitars i used on which tune. Rigbys Romp is my 1949 Gibson ES350. its got the woody tone. I'm pretty sure its also on BHiki Bop. Dreaming of you sounds like the Filtertron Falcon to me. The rest of the record is mostly the falcon with a bit of alterterd tuning 12 string and a tele for the bender of el swatho. there is also a jazz master on some of the secondary guitar tracks. Amps were the Gretsch Executive and a Fender Quad that was at the studio. I think my tweed deluxe made some tracks as well. it makes me happy that people are even interested! thanks again!

Thanks everyone! The members here are so kind and I'm always humbled by your comments. Here's a quick rundown of what I look for. Generally single coils (but I'm not opposed to humbuckers!) and a guitar that has some acoustic properties (solid or hollow). Push the front end of the amp(a Nocturne Brain works well!) with just a hair of drive via a BOR by Zvex. Echo is lower than most but there and a touch of verb. I also use a cs2 boss compressor with the level on 10 and the sustain on 0. This seems pretty crucial to me but u can barely hear it. And I pick really hard (from years of playing crappy old silver tones). Every record has different guitars and amps. I use what's around it seems The new cd I'm finishing up is almost entirely an Ampex playback amp! Clean!!! Many thanks again. I'm honoured that someone's even listening

Thanks everyone! The members here are so kind and I'm always humbled by your comments. Here's a quick rundown of what I look for. Generally single coils (but I'm not opposed to humbuckers!) and a guitar that has some acoustic properties (solid or hollow). Push the front end of the amp(a Nocturne Brain works well!) with just a hair of drive via a BOR by Zvex. Echo is lower than most but there and a touch of verb. I also use a cs2 boss compressor with the level on 10 and the sustain on 0. This seems pretty crucial to me but u can barely hear it. And I pick really hard (from years of playing crappy old silver tones). Every record has different guitars and amps. I use what's around it seems The new cd I'm finishing up is almost entirely an Ampex playback amp! Clean!!! Many thanks again. I'm honoured that someone's even listening

– paul pigat

Thanks Paul! I thought you're also a SWART player?

I am indeed a Swart player as well! The Mod 84 is one of the best amps I've ever played! I haven't recorded with it yet though

I am indeed a Swart player as well! The Mod 84 is one of the best amps I've ever played! I haven't recorded with it yet though

– paul pigat

Can't wait to hear you playing this beast on a record, Paul!

Paul, Please post when your new album is done. I'm sure there are lots of people here, my self included, that will order immediately.

Some time back, Proteus posted audio from a set Paul did, I think at the Rockabilly thing in Las Vegas. Even his tone when he was just checking tuning between songs was excellent.

Someone's definitely listening, Paul, and looking forward to the new one too.

Paul, Please post when your new album is done. I'm sure there are lots of people here, my self included, that will order immediately.

– Grez

Oh yeah,looking forward to that too sir!

Oh yeah,looking forward to that too sir!

– JCHiggy

+1!

Register Sign in to join the conversation