Other Players

PSA-BSO Christmas Extravangza on AXStv

If your cable people offer AXIStv, you can tune in to the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Extravangza Tonight at 8 to 9:30 EST.

Thanks for the heads up!

BTW: Imagine is on AXS many times today.

DirectV ch 340.

Wish I could tune in! I missed the BSO Xmas Show this year ... plus I think friends of mine are the broadcast producers.

I’ll record it. Drive down, Paul.

It's on twice, we'll watch the 9pm PST program...just hoping it is a different Show from our last watch...I think it is.

Thanks for the tip Bob. Just watched it.

Good show, and loved the way he did Glen's and Tom's songs. Class.

Damn Comcast NJ doesn't have AXS TV.

Very Fun.

I am always intrigued watching Brian play, then when I add the "morph" he navigated to all these older Standards and Big Band tunes, then to assemble a full ensemble and keep it together...quite the feat.

Good for him, that's a real challenge.

Watching it now on on Axis (using recently aired feature) with Sling TV. Thanks!

Watched it. Loved it.

Of course I noticed that the "leopard print upright piano" was a dummy box with what looked like a Kurzweil digital inside. The rhythm section was kickin', the gals were swingin' and the horns were smokin' all the way through.

That Setzer fella can sho' 'nuff play too! When people ask about playing jazz on a Gretsch, Brian should be one of the first names mentioned. His stage presence is rock and roll, but his chops, chord voicings and solos are pure jazz in the best sense of the word.

Parabar, that fake piano thing is really common anymore.

That drummer is so great. Inspiring. I can use that in a very practical way.

On again today at 4pm Eastern, if you missed it.

My recording cut out right at the Finale, right when Santa came on and they were kicking off with Jingle Bells,My kid was bummed.

I knew about it but don't think Spectrum has it

Parabar, that fake piano thing is really common anymore.

– wabash slim

I've noticed it on high-budget TV shows mostly, but I don't really get it. To me it's kinda like putting fake pipes on a Hammond or Farfisa organ, or those fake walls of speaker cabinets used by some heavy metal bands.

Digital keyboards are perfectly great instruments --- why not just show what's actually producing the sound? Or if a clean visual is the goal, a cloth draped behind or over the keyboard stand is perfectly fine too.

I've noticed it on high-budget TV shows mostly, but I don't really get it. To me it's kinda like putting fake pipes on a Hammond or Farfisa organ, or those fake walls of speaker cabinets used by some heavy metal bands.

Digital keyboards are perfectly great instruments --- why not just show what's actually producing the sound? Or if a clean visual is the goal, a cloth draped behind or over the keyboard stand is perfectly fine too.

– Parabar

Come on Parabar, you didnt dig the leopard print piano?

I did at first when I thought it was an actual upright that had been painted, but when I saw what was really up I felt let down.

To me the musical aspects of a concert are almost always more interesting than the showbiz aspects.

Several years ago at the NAMM Show, there was an exhibitor who built empty grand piano shells into which an electronic keyboard could be fitted. From the audience's perspective, it looked just like a grand piano.

See, there's the thing. If you have room in your house or onstage for a grand piano, and can afford the cost of the piano shell, why not just have a real piano?

Parabar, this exhibitor built them for concert use only. They were not intended to be used in one's home in lieu of a standard grand piano.

As an aside, is there much of a market for used pianos these days? I have the baby grand piano that was in my house from my first day of life that my two siblings and I all learned to play on. As I have begun to consider downsizing my living space, I have wondered about the future of this wonderful instrument. I hope to be able to find a family member in a younger generation who may want to keep in in the family. But, do you have any thoughts on this?

See, there's the thing. If you have room in your house or onstage for a grand piano, and can afford the cost of the piano shell, why not just have a real piano?

– Parabar

yaaaaaaaa..tour w a full size piano! sheeeeze you hippies expect it all to be so organic and non GMO perfect!

I watched a crew of 4 pull that keyboard/box apart in 5 minutes and get it off an outdoor stage and away to the truck. a real piano would have required a lift to the stage or 10 men..plus all the rattle and bang across crusty asphalt and creviced cement would throw it out of tune in a heartbeat.. thus requiring a piano tuner at every single gig across the USA and Japan. I have a piano tuner who comes to the house, and its stupid how much time is spent getting an upright piano tuned and dialed in. I was in the rafters at the Dolby theater and we could look straight down at the piano, saw the keyboard in the piano box. Sounded fantastic in the mix.. oh ya no damn mics needed on that thing too, just a great D.I.

plus.. it looked rockabilly fantastic.

I don't think that Parabar was suggesting that a piano box shouldn't be used in a live setting. I believe that he was referring to home use.

I know where you attended college, Tavo. That explains why you didn't retain that information from what he wrote.

Concert was great! When I first saw it listed, I thought it might have been a repeat of the concert from a couple years ago as AXS was running some other older Christmas concerts (Like Chris Isaak's). Brian's playing is just incredible. Was cool to see up close what he was doing as well- were some nice tight shots at times. The big band is just insane... Was great to see his Glen Campbell and Tom Petty tributes as well in the recording, as he's been doing on this tour. Did you catch the credit for Joe Carducci ?!

Register Sign in to join the conversation